Any interest in Clowney?

Dalmations202

Reaction score
All players are overpaid, so what is one more. It doesn't bother me near as much to see Dallas overpay for a FA as it does for me to see them overpay for players that they KNOW will never be worth their pay (there are many on the payroll right now). At least if they overpay for a FA, there is the potential for them to shine with the new setting. The overpay for avg play in the system is what is disheartening.

kskboys

Reaction score
All players are overpaid, so what is one more. It doesn't bother me near as much to see Dallas overpay for a FA as it does for me to see them overpay for players that they KNOW will never be worth their pay (there are many on the payroll right now). At least if they overpay for a FA, there is the potential for them to shine with the new setting. The overpay for avg play in the system is what is disheartening.
Why? Since they bring in enough money to warrant these salaries, why would you say they're all overpaid?

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
We have some questions at DE with Quinn and Bennett both free agents. Clowney has said he wants to play for a team he thinks can win a SB and might be willing to take a bit less to go to a winner. Seattle has some interesting free agents so they might not be able to bring him back (or some of their other key guys).

I think people are kind of short selling how dire the situation is at DE for the Cowboys. You have Lawrence and that's it. Armstrong didn't show a ton and he's probably a solid back up at best. Can you count on Gregory? Probably not. Taco is eating tacos in Miami.

DE has to be a priority in FA and/or the draft.
He's younger bigger and faster than Quinn. He'd also motivate law. Every Time Lawrence looks at him, he'll remember getting drafted in the 2nd round and clowney going first. Plus, he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He'd secure our pass rush for 3-6 years.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He's younger bigger and faster than Quinn. He'd also motivate law. Every Time Lawrence looks at him, he'll remember getting drafted in the 2nd round and clowney going first. Plus, he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He'd secure our pass rush for 3-6 years.

I'm more concerned of what is going to motivate him. Why hasn't he reached his ceiling yet? He has been in the league for 6 seasons. He hasn't appeared to be one step away from hitting his peak. Teams aren't going to crazy to sign him. If he is a player capable of securing a pass rush for several years to come, then teams would have been rushing to sign him on the first day of free agency.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I'm more concerned of what is going to motivate him. Why hasn't he reached his ceiling yet? He has been in the league for 6 seasons. He hasn't appeared to be one step away from hitting his peak. Teams aren't going to crazy to sign him. If he is a player capable of securing a pass rush for several years to come, then teams would have been rushing to sign him on the first day of free agency.
He was injured in his first 2 years. Injuries slow down everyone. Then he was hurt last year. If he's allowed to play one on one all year like Quinn did, he'll wreak havoc. Maybe D-law will do for Clowney what Al Harris did for Charles Woodson. Woodsons psyche was shaky after a blazing start to his career. He ended up becoming an all-pro again. Clowneys way more talented than d-law.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He was injured in his first 2 years. Injuries slow down everyone. Then he was hurt last year. If he's allowed to play one on one all year like Quinn did, he'll wreak havoc. Maybe D-law will do for Clowney what Al Harris did for Charles Woodson. Woodsons psyche was shaky after a blazing start to his career. He ended up becoming an all-pro again. Clowneys way more talented than d-law.

Sounds like excuses. Lawrence also started his career slowly due to injury, but managed to show something along the way. This constant waiting for Clowney to become something is very telling. I'm not saying he is terrible, but I don't trust him to come close to the price tag he wants. He hasn't come close to the cost of a #1 pick. I don't even think he will live up to the $13.5 million a season(if that rumor is true).

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Sounds like excuses. Lawrence also started his career slowly due to injury, but managed to show something along the way. This constant waiting for Clowney to become something is very telling. I'm not saying he is terrible, but I don't trust him to come close to the price tag he wants. He hasn't come close to the cost of a #1 pick. I don't even think he will live up to the $13.5 million a season(if that rumor is true).
D-law has 2 pro bowl seasons with less injuries. Clowney would surpass Quinns production easily. Maybe they need to stop playing him at SDE. That might be why he gets injured. Also, Clowney was a DE in college and was forced to play OLB for his first 5 years in the league.

Reactions: BAT

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Why? Since they bring in enough money to warrant these salaries, why would you say they're all overpaid?
Because all entertainment is highly overpaid. They provide nothing of any real value to people. No protection, no teaching, nothing but entertainment. So all of them are overpaid in comparison to the soldiers, doctors, teachers, truckers, nurses, police, fire, plumber, janitor, farmers, grocery store clerks, and quite a few other professions that actually help people. With that said, if things keep going the way they are right now, there isn't any of them getting paid here shortly anyway, we will have much bigger problems to worry with. 1st world problems devolving to 3rd world problems.

coogrfan

Reaction score

If you're counting on Clowney to motivate anyone, you're in for a serious disappointment.