Any more of our rookies signed yet?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I am not about to panic, I know Jerry always signs them late but gets them all to camp on time. But have the guys on the board who live in the Dallas area heard any confirmation on any more of the rookies being signed?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Ware is close. His agent has been working with Dallas the past couple days on his contract but other than him I don't have a clue on anyone else.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
A couple of blurbs

Cowboys Expected to Sign Burnett & Barber Soon --
Tue Jul 26, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Dallas Cowboys' official website reports Cowboys second-round draft pick ILB Kevin Burnett and fourth-round draft pick RB Marion Barber III are expected to be signed before Saturday's first practice.

-- Canty May be Tough to Sign --

The Dallas Cowboys' official website reports Cowboys fourth-round draft pick DE Chris Canty (Virginia) might be tough to sign. Canty is expected to miss the first week of camp rehabbing from knee and eye surgeries, though the Cowboys are targeting Aug. 8 for his return. Once projected a first-round pick, Canty's two injuries decreased his value and dropped him to late in the fourth round. While he might have first-round talent, don't expect the Cowboys to give him first-round money, which is what his agent likely will argue. Canty's group also is looking for a three-year contract, but the Cowboys would rather sign the defensive end to four years. With his current health status, there is no guarantee he will be that effective this season. A three-year deal would give the team only two more years to evaluate Canty before he becomes a restricted free agent. The Cowboys still have the option of placing Canty on Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), a designation that must be made at the start of camp if a player is not cleared to practice because of an existing injury. However, the Cowboys would have nearly a month to remove him from the list if he successfully began practicing or was anticipated to begin practicing soon. Players on PUP for the start of the season must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season before they are eligible to start practicing, and then can take another three to five weeks before having to be placed on the active roster.

Cowboys to Start Talks with First Rounders --

The Dallas Cowboys' official website reports Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said he expects to start serious talks with the agents for first round draft picks DE/OLB Demarcus Ware and DE Marcus Spears soon. Jones is expected to meet with agents Pat Dye (Ware) and Jimmy Sexton (Spears) either Tuesday or Wednesday. The biggest dilemma facing the Cowboys and the other NFL teams trying to sign first-round picks is the inability to extend contracts past five years. Because the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement expires after the 2007 season, teams are not allowed to prorate signing bonuses more than two years past the conclusion of the current CBA. So unlike recent years when teams have signed high first-rounders to six-, seven- and even eight-year deals, clubs can only spread signing bonuses over a five-year span, creating a higher yearly cap value. That means teams will have to get more creative distributing bonuses to players. Take for example Ware, who would've received a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $7 million in 2003. That could have been spread over a six- or seven-year span, making his yearly proration on a seven-year deal $1 million a year. But now, with only a five-year deal available, that same signing bonus would charge $1.4 million, which is significantly more when you are dealing with a $4.9 million rookie pool. The Cowboys likely will sign Ware to a five-year deal, with possibly even no signing bonus. Ware will then get what would have been his up-front money roster bonuses, guarantees, escalators and option incentives spread over the next two to three years. Draft picks are still getting the same amount of money, possibly even more, but not as much up front

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Pettiti's dad who post here occasionally said that they have agreed to terms and he should sign in the next day or two...perhaps today. Nothing other than that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Canty may become an issue. I hope not. Glad we have the extra week.

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
noshame said:
Canty may become an issue. I hope not. Glad we have the extra week.

What do you mean an extra week for Canty? I know he and his agent want more money from where he was drafted, because he was a projected high draft choice, but, where does that extra week come from?

jksmith269

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Pettiti's dad who post here occasionally said that they have agreed to terms and he should sign in the next day or two...perhaps today. Nothing other than that.
Rob signed his contract on Monday....

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Mkyle said:
What do you mean an extra week for Canty? I know he and his agent want more money from where he was drafted, because he was a projected high draft choice, but, where does that extra week come from?
The extra week comes from the fact that Canty won't be able to participate in Training Camp until Aug. 8 anyway for medical reasons. So we have until then to work out a deal with him.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
The extra week comes from the fact that Canty won't be able to participate in Training Camp until Aug. 8 anyway for medical reasons. So we have until then to work out a deal with him.

Thanks.

jksmith269

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Ahhh...this working nights really screws with my keeping up with things :mad:
Rob's dad did say on monday morning that he would be in Dallas to sign on Wednesday and a few hours later it was reported that he had signed. So its easy one to have missed...

Reaction score
Well Jack,
Your in the right place to get updated...(Also true about Canty)
I am not worried ether...
I expect all to be signed sealed & delivered by the time practice starts...