Any news on Isaac Alarcon?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m hoping to see if this guy can turn the corner this year.

A couple of plays from last preseason.

Image 1: The DL ran over him and he is on the ground. That took about 1 second.

Image 2: If the image was video, you would see that he is falling backwards.
- The DL that you see penetrating the gap hit him to hard that he couldn't recover.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
As a Canadian one thing is certain. CFL players don’t go to the NFL consistently and do well. NFL players coming to Canada usually blow it up because they are just better.

My take for any football player is to get on the field. What you do with your career after you can get on a field in live games is all up to you.

If Isaac has the competitive edge there is no reason why he can't hone is technique and recognition along with his physical gifts, and then head back down south to get into open competition with other marginal players.

Sitting on a practice squad gives you the influence of the locker room and some of the practices, but there is nothing like the live fire of games.

If he really wants his career to progress he should try to latch on to a league where he can play, get good coaching with the understanding that he wants to head back down south.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
What is the fascination with Alarcon? I don't see him being much more than a camp body and possibly taking a practice squad spot from someone better.

This is the problem I see with the program he is in. It is great for the player, and good for the league from a public relations point of view. But for someone like Isaac who still is not getting all of his technique down he needs way more snaps, and he can't get that on the Cowboys. The team can't afford to give him that much time because he is too far behind.

He is better served to head to another league where he can play and work on things like pad level and hand technique.

Xwalker has some pics of him getting lifted and put on his back. Isaac is a big dude. If he understood leverage more and develop good fundamentals there should be no reason why he should have had that result.

He needs more live fire situations.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just think guard would be the easiest place to start for anybody green

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is the problem I see with the program he is in. It is great for the player, and good for the league from a public relations point of view. But for someone like Isaac who still is not getting all of his technique down he needs way more snaps, and he can't get that on the Cowboys. The team can't afford to give him that much time because he is too far behind.

He is better served to head to another league where he can play and work on things like pad level and hand technique.

Xwalker has some pics of him getting lifted and put on his back. Isaac is a big dude. If he understood leverage more and develop good fundamentals there should be no reason why he should have had that result.

He needs more live fire situations.
His problem has never been his size, its been his footwork and as you said leverage skills.
Stepnoski was at the other end of the size spectrum and was considered an undersized Center even for that era, but he made up for the size indifference by utilizing brilliant hand tech, and maximizing body control.
Step may be a bad comp, but I chose him because he is the polar opposite size wise when comparing to Alarcon, but both share the leverage issue, hopefully there is still some time for Acorn to learn to get smaller in his game.
Meaning he has the exact opposite of Step, Acorn has to develop a base strength leverage point, he has to lower his center of gravity to be able to anchor.
Doesnt matter your size, how big or how small you are, you have to identify your core strength first when playing in the trenches.
On a side note, I always felt that Step would have made a great OL coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard Knocks last year probably.

For me, Alarcon.....along with dudes like Dowdle who seem as though they've been here forever, it's time to step it up or move along.

From what I’ve been hearing, Dowdle has a role.

Big_D

Reaction score
A couple of plays from last preseason.

Image 1: The DL ran over him and he is on the ground. That took about 1 second.

Image 2: If the image was video, you would see that he is falling backwards.
- The DL that you see penetrating the gap hit him to hard that he couldn't recover.

A year in the gym and a year with coaches... can he improve his footwork and get stronger? That's what "this" camp will show. We knew he was green to begin with and had a bigger than usual learning curve. We'll see? There's been no indication either way. Usually you'll get a "so and so looks terrible" or "this guy is playing well". News on either front is all I was looking for. He's here and I'm hoping the development can show a little spark.

shabazz

Reaction score
Reminds me of forest squirrels harvesting mass quantities of Acorns.

I think those dumb azzesz only remember 10% of the places they bury them. Fun to watch tear the crap out of our bird feeders though……….I don’t eat ‘‘em so I won’t shoot ‘em.