Any of you guys ever flown premium economy

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In addition to coach, first class, and sometimes business class, airlines are offering this premium economy thing. It's supposed to be considerably nicer than regular old economy or coach with more room, and maybe better food. Basically, it's what coach SHOULD be, and it does cost more. If it were an additional 50 bucks to get this premium economy, I would be all in. I hate flying because you're so crammed in there. However, when I compare prices, it's usually something like an extra 150 to 200 bucks to fly premium economy. That's quite a bit more, but maybe it would be worth it, especially on really long flights.
I should love flying. My dad was an airline pilot before he retired, and my brother is one now. But I hate flying. I find it stressful having to go through security where you actually have remove your shoes and belt, and then be scanned while you're hoping no one runs off with your bag. Then you're really crammed in there for coach on most flights.
I did pay extra for first class one time. It happened to be somewhat affordable this one time for a round-trip flight from Omaha to Boston. If I were super wealthy, I would fly first class all the time. It was a lot nicer. But first class every time just plain isn't practical. But maybe it's worth paying about 150 bucks more each time for this premium economy thing. Coach used to not squeeze people in as tightly together as they do now, but prices were also higher back then. Maybe premium economy is more like regular economy circa 1975.
I'm curious if anyone has used this prem economy thing.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Is this like an extra medium t shirt type of thing?
I'm not sure what an extra medium T-shirt is, but premium economy is simply regular old coach, except with more room. They pretty much went back to 60s and 70s spacing before airlines really crammed stuff together in the name of profit. If it's a long flight, it also includes a meal.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what an extra medium T-shirt is, but premium economy is simply regular old coach, except with more room. They pretty much went back to 60s and 70s spacing before airlines really crammed stuff together in the name of profit. If it's a long flight, it also includes a meal.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It’s worth it for a widebody flight. For a domestic narrow body, you get booze included, but not worth it, imo.

Flamma

Reaction score
I fly rarely because I despise it. Cramped and I get mildly seasick. But I am familiar with what you're talking about. It's a little pricier.

Normally I won't fly further than Florida. I flew to California once. On my way there I said never again. But on my way back I flew Jet Blue. Plenty of room in their ordinary coach.

I'm in my 50s and I've flown under a dozen times. But that was the first and only flight I ever took that I was not uncomfortable. I hope the gods bless that airline.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What is your size? Can you fit in a sports car?
I'm pretty tall, 6' 1". I've fit into sports cars, but I normally have to push the seat pretty far back. On a plane, if someone reclines their seat all the way, it's basically on my knees. If we're going to be this close together, I kind of wish the airlines would just disable seat reclining. If they recline just a little, I'm okay, but all the way back and I'm cursing under my breath.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm pretty tall, 6' 1". I've fit into sports cars, but I normally have to push the seat pretty far back. On a plane, if someone reclines their seat all the way, it's basically on my knees. If we're going to be this close together, I kind of wish the airlines would just disable seat reclining. If they recline just a little, I'm okay, but all the way back and I'm cursing under my breath.
I hear you. I'm 5'11 and it bothers me a lot. I can't get comfortable. It has to be worse for you. Now imagine people in the 6'4 range.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
As a big man who has flown a lot, come to realize that Coach is different for most of the big airlines because of the plane model. Best bet is to get an emergency exit seat. I guess people are reluctant to claim those because there always seems to be one available and guaranteed leg space. You’re just bleep out of luck if you’re wide, only first or business class solves that. Best bet is to keep flying one airline and get the frequent flyer upgrades. Delta is probably my favorite for that. The free drinks are great too. Used to love flying back home on Delta and getting the free upgrade and free drinks. If you’re going to fly coach no matter what, best to stick with Southwest which is easy to get frequent flier perks with most businesses and can pick a decent seat if in the first boarding, or even the second boarding wave. Can’t help but crack up sometimes at all the different types of seating some of the larger airlines come up with. I think it takes more time just to announce the different boarding waves than actually board.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
As a big man who has flown a lot, come to realize that Coach is different for most of the big airlines because of the plane model. Best bet is to get an emergency exit seat. I guess people are reluctant to claim those because there always seems to be one available and guaranteed leg space. You’re just bleep out of luck if you’re wide, only first or business class solves that. Best bet is to keep flying one airline and get the frequent flyer upgrades. Delta is probably my favorite for that. The free drinks are great too. Used to love flying back home on Delta and getting the free upgrade and free drinks. If you’re going to fly coach no matter what, best to stick with Southwest which is easy to get frequent flier perks with most businesses and can pick a decent seat if in the first boarding, or even the second boarding wave. Can’t help but crack up sometimes at all the different types of seating some of the larger airlines come up with. I think it takes more time just to announce the different boarding waves than actually board.
Check out the big front seat from Spirit, the first row. Lots of leg room, and it’s a 2x2 configuration. It’s usually the same price as an exit row on a legacy airline. The only problem with spirit is the lack of frequency between city pairs. If your flight gets cancelled, you’re screwed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Business class is the sweet spot. Wont do coach if Im in the air more than 3 hours. 1st just doesn't seem worth it. All Im really looking for is comfort and business is more than enough for me

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks to an awful lot of international business trips while I was working, I'm in both United and American's zillion mile club.

I typically get upgraded to Business or First class anytime there is a seat available. Regardless, however, I always go for the premium economy seats.

A story for another time: my ex and her boyfriend "enjoyed" several hundred thousand of my air miles before I caught on; one of the most contested aspects of the divorce. LOL