Any opinions on Marist Liafua?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s PFF but apparently Clark had a very good game.
Possible he did, Clark is a guy I don’t remember seeing much during the game, nor when I did my rewatch. Just my opinion here so take that for the little it’s worth but I’ll need to see Clark rack up a few games of good play before I’m able to depend on him, especially as anything more than a rotational guy. Seems like a solid coverage backer who didn’t process quick enough in the run game. Physical traits are amazing though so I hope he’s starting to put it all together under zim

John813

Reaction score
Too early to say. Was surprised at the snaps Vigil got but I assume it's due to knowing the system.

I admit I wanted the riskier pick in Payton Wilson, but hoping Liafua can carve out a role this year and develop next year as a possible Kendricks replacement.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So if he got two solo tackles in nine snaps one can extrapolate that he would bet ten solo tackles on 45 snaps
now that is of course ridiculous but just as valid as your claim he looked like a jag
Except it's not at all, I'm watching the film, you're reading a stat sheet and its not even accurate. On his 9 defensive snaps he only had 1 tackle, the other one came on special teams. For some reason I'm missing a play, but here are my notes:

Q2 12:56 - Run play, makes a quick read, decent fill, gets stonewalled by the OL (Neutral)
Q2 12:10 - Pass play, he rushes, zero impact (Minus)
Q2 5:15 - Pass play, he rushes unblocked, whiffs on about as easy of a sack as you'll see (Minus even though he should get credited with a pressure here)
Q4 3:42 - Pass play, zone coverage, no one for him to cover (Neutral)
Q4 2:00 - Run play, simple dive play, hes lined up wide almost as a slot corner, good job of just getting close to the action. (Positive)
Q4 1:35 - Pass play, in coverage, decent bump and pass on #8, transfers over to the RB (Positive)
Q4 :55 - Run play, dive, makes the tackle for a gain of 4 yards, looked slow to fill here, went unblocked, looked like he had an opportunity to meet the RB closer to the LOS (Minus)
Q4 :31 - Run play, blocked by the TE with ease, gave up the TD. Unsure if he made a bad read on the RB causing him to take the outside gap or if this was just poor effort. (Minus)

Dude has the traits to play LB at this level. I think he has more quickness than he was given credit for coming out of college, and at times he shows great instincts for the position. The thing I liked is even on some of his bad plays he found a way to be around the ball carrier once the play was over. There is something to build off of here, but he looked and produced like a JAG this game in limited time.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Except it's not at all, I'm watching the film, you're reading a stat sheet and its not even accurate. On his 9 defensive snaps he only had 1 tackle, the other one came on special teams. For some reason I'm missing a play, but here are my notes:

Q2 12:56 - Run play, makes a quick read, decent fill, gets stonewalled by the OL (Neutral)
Q2 5:15 - Pass play, he rushes unblocked, whiffs on about as easy of a sack as you'll see (Minus even though he should get credited with a pressure here)
Q4 2:00 - Run play, simple dive play, hes lined up wide almost as a slot corner, good job of just getting close to the action. (Positive)
Q4 1:35 - Pass play, in coverage, decent bump and pass on #8, transfers over to the RB (Positive)
Q4 :55 - Run play, dive, makes the tackle for a gain of 4 yards, looked slow to fill here, went unblocked, looked like he had an opportunity to meet the RB closer to the LOS (Minus)
Q4 :31 - Run play, blocked by the TE with ease, gave up the TD. Unsure if he made a bad read on the RB causing him to take the outside gap or if this was just poor effort. (Minus)

Dude has the traits to play LB at this level. I think he has more quickness than he was given credit for coming out of college, and at times he shows great instincts for the position. The thing I liked is even on some of his bad plays he found a way to be around the ball carrier once the play was over. There is something to build off of here, but he looked and produced like a JAG this game in limited time.
this all reads like you want to find fault with him

Proof

Reaction score
I put up all the timestamps if you want to go through and give your opinion of his plays. It's possible you're right and I'm wrong, but at least give me some justification if you're going to call me out as wanting to find fault with a player.
read to me like you were just being a neutral observer. reads unbiased and well thought out

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
read to me like you were just being a neutral observer. reads unbiased and well thought out
Appreciate the feedback, and that's my goal. I'm human and fall victim to my own biases on occasion so I'm open to someone calling me out when needed, Liufua just seems like an odd player for a poster to push back on so hard.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Did he jump on the pile after it was over?:p

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of guys did. It was annoying.
Watson did get away from a lot of sacks; have to admit he can be quite elusive. BUT I do agree that we whiffed on a number of possibilities. another QB would have been sacked at least ten times.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Looked fired up on STs coverage, so he was having fun from what I saw and that's what you want from a LB. Keep learning, stay ready...Marist will be good to go.