Any Positions the Cowboys would not draft at 58

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's leave any QB discussion for another thread.

In regards to Non-QBs, are there any positions the Cowboys would NOT draft at #58 ?

RB
They passed on LeSean McCoy at #51 in 2009 because they had Felix and Barber. They had McCoy rated as a 1st round pick.

CB
They have the best depth in a long time; however, they lack INTs and will have to pay big money to keep Jones past 2019.

OG/OC
They have many options here assuming Frederick returns to form.
Connor Williams
La'el if somebody else plays RT
Looney
Sua-Filo
Ehinger

LB
Obviously they have Vander Esch and Jaylon. SLB Wilson is free agent but the SLB only plays about 30% or less of the snaps. Lee might return but they should never assume that he will be available when making plans in the Spring.

OT
In my opinion this is a huge need area; however, some say it's a low priority in the draft. La'el is OK but far from elite and is a free agent after the season.

The team can manage with the TEs they have now but if Tyron misses the season, they are doomed.

Will they consider moving Connor Williams to OT for depth or to switch with La'el?

DT
This might be the biggest need area on the roster in terms of needing to add a play-maker; however, they have several OK players at this position and can manage even if they have injuries which is not true with some other positions.

TE
This appears to be the top focus of the media and most fans for this draft.

I say don't draft one just to do it and don't reach for need. They need a player that can develop into an elite and complete TE. They have enough bodies at the position already.

Safety
Cowboys fans want a Safety every year.

It's a difficult position to evaluate in regards to the draft.

FS is as much about mental ability as it is about physical ability; otherwise more big college CBs would move to FS in the NFL.

Strong Safety in the modern NFL requires more pass coverage ability than in the past but it's generally not the premium Safety position for most teams in regards to where they spend their draft capital or free agent dollars. Derwin James might be the prototype modern SS but most teams move top 20 picks at Safety to FS.

WR
Another position where is there is a lot of fan/media focus this year, primarily because Beasley seems unlikely to return.

Ideally I would like to have a slot WR that can also play some snaps at RB (i.e. A healthy Tavon Austin type) or one that has enough size to play some snaps at outside WR. Beasley was great in his short area but he was limited because he lacks the elite deep speed of some smallish players and his short area quickness is not a big asset on deeper routes where defenders have more time to react with the ball in the air. When he has had success on deeper routes it's generally because the defense was not expecting it.

DE
It's always good to draft premium positions because they cost the most to retain or acquire in free agency.

There is a lower chance of getting a Pro Bowl DE in the late 2nd than a Pro Bowl OG; however, the payoff is higher with the DE pick if it does turn out to be a Pro Bowl type player.

Punt Returner
Two positions the Cowboys need (Slot WR and Backup RB) are positions where they might get a quality Punt Returner.

DanA

Reaction score
I wouldn't draft an ST only guy obviously.

Other than that, there aren't so much positions, but rather types of players I wouldn't take:
- I wouldn't take Derrick Henry type RB at 58. They need to be more versatile (return punts, flex out into slot, 3rd down)
- I wouldn't take an undersized OC that lacked strength/size to play guard. Subject to Fredrick medical reports
- I wouldn't take a DE with good run defense/limited pass rush. (Assuming Lawrence re-signs)
- I wouldn't take an undersized corner

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
RB
CB
C

Good argument we don’t need or want those positions at 58....

cowboyec

Reaction score
C/OG
RB

but the rest...Im open for business...WR,TE,OT on that side of the ball.
DE,DT,LB,CB,S on that side.

Pants

Reaction score
hard question to answer....for me, it depends on what Moore changes for the offense....as lot guy or 3rd down back to catch the ball and move the chains would be big for me IF Moore changes the offense...but, I still think run-stuffer up the middle at DT is first choice for me