Any recommedations for a new laptop?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Looking to get a new Windows laptop (old broke unfortunately). Budget is between $600 - $1,000

Currently eyeing this deal, but given with a 2 year warranty it is significantly above my target budget, was hoping someone here would have some insight :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432666-REG/lenovo_81lf0004us_core_i7_8750h_16gb.html

B&H Photo Video offers the Lenovo Legion Y7000 Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 2.2GHz 15.6" 1080p Gaming Laptop for $1,099 with free shipping. That's tied with our mention from ten days ago and the best price we could find today by $301. Features include:
  • Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz Coffee Lake 6-core processor
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 (1080p) IPS display
  • 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Last edited by a moderator:

rags747

Reaction score
Stay away from Lenovo for obvious reasons. Good luck...

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I have an hp envy 17". I don't care fire the bang & olufsen sounds software but it's a good laptop. I'm usually a Dell person but they don't make a good 17" laptop. However, if you want 13 or 15, then I'd go with Dell.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo and it has been a good machine. I will never own another computer without the SSD drive performance. What a difference the SSD makes..

cml750

Reaction score
I purchased this one from Best Buy last weekend. It was on sale for $649.99 which was $200 off at the time. You can flip the screen around and use it in tablet mode if you so desire. So far it has been amazing. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB and the HD to a larger SSD when I get around to it.

HP - ENVY x360 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - HP Finish In Natural Silver

6237354_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

6237354cv1d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...ish-in-natural-silver/6237354.p?skuId=6237354

Last edited:

jsb357

Reaction score
When looking at warranty make sure you understand your obligations regarding warranty service.

Returning a broken unit to Houston or SE Asia for 6-8 weeks won't help you if you depend on it for work or school.

I prefer Dell as parts are easy to get and the unit ages. But then again I do all my own work.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I try to avoid recommending any brands of laptops because its usually hit-or-miss with every company and every model. Sometimes that's because of where they were assembled and other times its because of software or device drive conflicts that has nothing to do with the actual laptop.

If you are not a computer/tech person, the main thing you want to think about when choosing a laptop brand is the level of support you will get with it, especially when/if it stops working correctly.

When you are looking at laptops, one thing that few people research is how easy they are to upgrade or if certain parts can be upgraded at all.

For example, some laptop manufacturers will solder the memory modules to the motherboard of the laptop making it impossible to replace or upgrade them. On some laptops, the memory and hard drives are stored on the underside of the motherboard, meaning you cannot just remove the back of the laptop to replace or upgrade them. Instead, you have to completely disassemble the laptop which is overwhelming for non-tech oriented people and even for many who are.

Some laptops are VERY difficult to get into to upgrade. For example, in the past, HP had several models that were almost impossible to open without permanently damaging, scarring, breaking, etc. the case.

Some laptops make it very easy to access the memory, drives, wifi card, etc., but many do not, especially on cheaper or very thin laptops.

When you finally settle on a laptop or a small number of them, search Youtube for upgrade or tear down videos of the laptops to see just how easy they are to get into.

Beyond that, look at the drives and memory in the laptop.

Everyone should be using solid state drives (non-mechanical/spinning) but those usually have less space by default than mechanical/spinning hard drives, but the speed performance and data safety rates are well worth the trade off when you can easily add larger external USB drives for data storage.

As for memory, you should find out how many memory slots the computer has AND also which modules are used and how many slots they take up.

For example, if the laptop has 8GB of RAM and has two memory slots, the laptop may come with either one 8GB RAM module in one slot and nothing in the second slot making it easy to upgrade to 16GB RAM by adding another 8GB RAM module. That laptop could also come with two (2) 4GB RAM modules, with one in each memory slot, which means if you decide to upgrade later, you will have to buy 16GB (either one single 16GB RAM module or two 8GB RAM modules) of RAM instead of one 8GB RAM module.

Also, look at the GPU (graphics card) the laptop has. If you are not a gamer and do not do any video editing or other graphic intensive work, you can likely get by with any graphics chip. The dedicated GPUs offer performance but can also use more power which makes the battery deplete faster. The non-dedicated GPUs will usually use something like the Intel 620. The dedicated GPUs will be options like the Nvidia MX150, 1050, 1050ti, etc. or one from AMD like the VEGA series.

Lastly, look at the real-world reviews for battery life. Laptop batteries rarely last as long as the manufacturers claim they will, so its always better to read or watch reviews of the laptop to see how long the reviewers got from their tests.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: