Any word on Connor Williams starting?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This sounds sensible to me. If Williams is not going to be here, let's see if McGovern can do the trick or if we might need to go hunting in the draft or FA.

I think regardless we need some offensive line upgrades.

Our offensive line is everything.

Dak ain’t that kind of QB to ever play elite football without an OL that isn’t absolutely playing at a high high level. Protect your 40 million dollar investment because he needs a force in front of him.

Tussinman

Reaction score
LG is a cursed position. We spend no draft capital on Leary or Cooper and they play pretty decent.

We spend a 2nd rounder on the 4th highest rated Guard in the 2018 draft class, a 3rd rounder on the 3rd highest rated guard in the 2019 class, give them a combined 7 offseasons to learn the game/bulk up, and here we are every other week asking "there both pretty medicore, which one should start" ?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LG is a cursed position. We spend no draft capital on Leary or Cooper and they play pretty decent.

We spend a 2nd rounder on the 4th highest rated Guard in the 2018 draft class, a 3rd rounder on the 3rd highest rated guard in the 2019 class, give them a combined 7 offseasons to learn the game/bulk up, and here we are every other week asking "there both pretty medicore, which one should start" ?

Heck Kyle Kosier too. Would love to have that guy about now.

They did everything possible to replace Ron Leary.

Dude went undrafted because of his knee and ended up having a long career.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol yup. Including me , the offense line has taking a hit and for some reason we can’t run anymore. Williams is a penalty machine but does play well, I thought myself Mcgovern was gonna take this line to another level.
I would get into personal arguments with another fellow poster who wanted Connor Williams benched while I said the bigger problem was our Center. Guess time has proved one of us right. Very telling how many want Connor Williams back at starter.

:popcorn:

eromeopolk

Reaction score

This video, from one of the only Cowboys YouTubers I trust with topics including film study , that can help answer questions about Big Connor vs Little Connor.

Connor Williams was a LT at TX so he is going to be better at LG and T in the NFL. Connor McGovern was a OC, OG, and RT in college so he can play OG and C in the NFL. Williams lacks the strength at LG and Tyron Smith is at LT. McGovern gives the OL more flex as he can line up at RG, LG, RT, and C. So it is best to play the younger player and let him develop than a player that is and has been playing out of position that is going to be a free agent at the end of the year.

Brooksey

Reaction score
McGovern needs a few more weeks of work for next year and then we'll get CW back in there for the playoffs

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Most wanted him benched and now they want him back......

I like the MM mentality ...you put the best 5 OLmen on field and let them play.....But this OL issue really smells like...stinks even...like a Jerry Jones dictatorship saying I pay Collins to play RT and he is going to play RT regardless.

Just like why in the heavens sake is Zeke the starting RB...Tony Pollard is outplaying Zeke....Zeke admitted being hurt....and his performance is hurting the team.....but Jerry Jones is paying Zeke...thus Zeke starts. This team reeks of a Jerry Jones coaching decisions.

IMO: the OL should be Steele, Martin, Biadez, Williams and TSMITH....stop **ucking up what.. was working.

Is that to strong of wording.....how bout....if Aint broke dont fix it....but that is not the Jerry Jones way of coaching

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I wasn't for the Williams benching and have not been a fan of all these moves on the OL. We weren't broken on the OLine the first half of the season with Smith, Williams, Biadsz, Martin and Steele.

Will say though that McGovern played very well that game he replaced Martin and I'm surprised he hasn't come out storming and won this position battle.

Still think we'll be fine though even with this new group, as they get more time to play together.

Reactions: BAT

coult44

Reaction score
Who cares.. Dude is not any better than McGovern and he comes with a mountain of penalties.

He’s also a free agent and I think Dallas isn’t going to pay so that’s another reason McGovern is on the field.

The real question is will they move Collins to guard. That is a move that has high upside for our Line.

As bad as he was , he is 10X better than the fullback who wants to play guard

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol yup. Including me , the offense line has taking a hit and for some reason we can’t run anymore. Williams is a penalty machine but does play well, I thought myself Mcgovern was gonna take this line to another level.

Well, if they would give Pollard more than 7-8 carries a game, they might rediscover it. Running a gimpy Zeke into the DL won't work no matter who is playing LG.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't for the Williams benching and have not been a fan of all these moves on the OL. We weren't broken on the OLine the first half of the season with Smith, Williams, Biadsz, Martin and Steele.

Will say though that McGovern played very well that game he replaced Martin and I'm surprised he hasn't come out storming and won this position battle.

Still think we'll be fine though even with this new group, as they get more time to play together.

Connor W leads the league in penalties b/c he can't pass block. He's not built like a G and can't hold his ground against DTs. Its been beyond obvious since they first insisted he play G. He was not a G in college. It might be too late to shift him out to tackle, but he sure is no G.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Connor W leads the league in penalties b/c he can't pass block. He's not built like a G and can't hold his ground against DTs. Its been beyond obvious since they first insisted he play G. He was not a G in college. It might be too late to shift him out to tackle, but he sure is no G.
They struck gold with Leary who was 6'3 325-335 lbs, powerful, cheap and NFL tough. Then they foolishly wasted a 2nd round pick on the antithesis to the Leary prototype. Williams looks and moves like a fat TE attempting to play LG. Whether or not McGovern can consistently be a road grader at LG remains to be seen but Williams (the feather duster) belongs outside the tackle box for the remainder of this season.

slick325

Reaction score
I can't stand the penalties and sloppy play, but...I may want Conner Williams back at LG. The offense ran the ball better with him in the lineup. Can't believe I'm actually petitioning for the return of 52. Lol