Anybody notice that neither team ran the ball all that well?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yet neither of them ever completely stopped running it..

As many of us have been preaching here since "Yards are Yards" took over the play calling. It doesn't matter if the running game isn't breaking off huge chunks of yards .. you simply HAVE to keep doing it regardless. Otherwise you let the opposing defense tee off on your QB.

Now before anybody chimes in that both teams threw it more than they ran it.. that is 100% correct.. but a lot of the Rams' passes were in the final minutes when they were down and needed a TD because their punter couldn't hold a PAT snap. Before that drive they had thrown it 28 times and run it 21. That's about as close as you get to being "balanced" in the modern NFL. I really hope our resident offensive "genius" watched that game and saw all the creative ways McVay ran the ball and got the ball to his play makers. Somehow I doubt any of it sunk in for him though.

kskboys

Reaction score
And why couldn't they? DJ Reader and A'Shaun Robinson.

At one point in the game the announcers discussed how the Rams couldn't stop the run unless A'Shaun was in the game.

JERRY, pull your head out of your bum and listen to someone for a change.

It is not accident that the super bowl teams have huge NT's and can stop the run.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Mixon was running every other play in the first half. Thought he'd never be able to keep up that pace.

What was fascinating to me is that Mixon was the best RB on the field and really the only one who was consistently getting anything more than a 2 yard run.. Yet for some reason Cincy refused to lean on him. Especially on the two drives when he was absolutely ROLLIN'. They got into the red zone and went pass happy.. Reminded me of some games I've seen around here.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

As many of us have been preaching here since "Yards are Yards" took over the play calling. It doesn't matter if the running game isn't breaking off huge chunks of yards .. you simply HAVE to keep doing it regardless. Otherwise you let the opposing defense tee off on your QB.

Now before anybody chimes in that both teams threw it more than they ran it.. that is 100% correct.. but a lot of the Rams' passes were in the final minutes when they were down and needed a TD because their punter couldn't hold a PAT snap. Before that drive they had thrown it 28 times and run it 21. That's about as close as you get to being "balanced" in the modern NFL. I really hope our resident offensive "genius" watched that game and saw all the creative ways McVay ran the ball and got the ball to his play makers. Somehow I doubt any of it sunk in for him though.
But eventually you have to go to the passing game, and when that time came Stafford found Kupp even in coverage.
I suppose KM just thinks Dak just needs extra time :rolleyes:.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
And what was funny were some of the commentators harping on McVay for being too insistent on running the ball. I thought that was funny. Damn if you do. Damn if you don't.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Well be sure to let us know who your new team is for the next 5 years.. Cause Dak aint goin nowhere. And since it's a quarterback driven league why did it take Stafford 13 years to learn how to drive?
We won the Superbowl didn’t he?

Detroit is even more dysfunctional than Dallas

Sydla

Reaction score
Well be sure to let us know who your new team is for the next 5 years.. Cause Dak aint goin nowhere. And since it's a quarterback driven league why did it take Stafford 13 years to learn how to drive?

Is that a real question?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

They neve ran it often either 13 carries by Akers, Mixon a little more success but 15 carries. I don't think it was much that either team stuck with the run.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And why couldn't they? DJ Reader and A'Shaun Robinson.

At one point in the game the announcers discussed how the Rams couldn't stop the run unless A'Shaun was in the game.

JERRY, pull your head out of your bum and listen to someone for a change.

It is not accident that the super bowl teams have huge NT's and can stop the run.
Agreed....but I don't know that they haven't tried.

They have spent a 2nd and two 3rds on DTs in the last 3 drafts.

If guys don't perform they don't perform.

That's why I don't think they draft as well as they want to tell themselves. Certainly not well enough to pass on real free agency every season.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Is that a real question?

No it's an answer. Which is that if you give a good QB a top 5 defense and a coach who doesn't try and make him do every damn thing he can get to the mountain top. Stafford didn't suddenly become an all time great QB yesterday. He's good.. even very good.. but definitely not great. He tried to throw away the NFC Championship and would have if Tart could catch and almost threw away the Super Bowl.. As with every QB who has ever won anything.. his team helped save him.. If anyone watching that game came away with "Wow Stafford was the MVP of the game" after watching that game he or she needs to turn in their football fan card. Donald and Co. won that game..

quickccc

Reaction score

- i was surprised that Cincy HC Zac Taylor did not have his best RB and pro bowler Joe Mixon try to get the crucial 3rd and one carry ..instead of going with Sammy Perine who was stopped cold
forcing a 4th and one.

- Yeh, I notice how Cincy nor the Rams did not abandon the run, especially the Rams they just flat out could not physically run the ball. (less than 3 yds per avg.)

- But i also Notice how the Rams have a nice fine tune “ short passing game” seemed to stress patient, picking spots to open receivers underneath, and spreading the ball around
from WRs to TEs to RBs in pass game (yeh, take notice Kellen) ..flex and send Henderson out as a receiver out of backfield – something Pollard could be dynamite at. (yeh, take notice Kellen)

quickccc

Reaction score
- i was surprised that Cincy HC Zac Taylor did not have his best RB and pro bowler Joe Mixon try to get the crucial 3rd and one carry ..instead of going with Sammy Perine who was stopped cold
forcing a 4th and one.

- Yeh, I notice how Cincy nor the Rams did not abandon the run, especially the Rams they just flat out could not physically run the ball. (less than 3 yds per avg.)

- But i also Notice how the Rams have a nice fine tune “ short passing game” seemed to stress patient, picking spots to open receivers underneath, and spreading the ball around
from WRs to TEs to RBs in pass game (yeh, take notice Kellen) ..flex and send Henderson out as a receiver out of backfield – something Pollard could be dynamite at. (yeh, take notice Kellen)

- Even Kellen and even Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes could’ve took lessons how to establish a short pass game vs heavy zone coverages schemed to take away downfield passes.

- Credit Stafford for keeping enuff poise and composure to stay with the short pass game – in spite of two INTs (one drop deflect by receiver) he has been masterful and
scheme productive in McVey's system.

- Rams Lost Robert Woods, OJ Beckham and their Hesby their TE, and they still were productive enuff to manage game winning scoring drives.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They neve ran it often either 13 carries by Akers, Mixon a little more success but 15 carries. I don't think it was much that either team stuck with the run.

I didn't say they necessarily stuck with it.. Just that they didn't abandon it. They didn't go entire quarters without running the ball. They made sure it was in the playbook and thus on the minds of the d-line all game long. Nobody is asking for Chuck Knox or Marty Schottenheimer to be reincarnated here. Just stop being so damn one-dimensional. Is that really too much to ask?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I didn't say they necessarily stuck with it.. Just that they didn't abandon it. They didn't go entire quarters without running the ball. They made sure it was in the playbook and thus on the minds of the d-line all game long. Nobody is asking for Chuck Knox or Marty Schottenheimer to be reincarnated here. Just stop being so damn one-dimensional. Is that really too much to ask?

I want Dallas to run but to continue to run you have to be somewhat successful. This is why Rams did not stay with the run that much, because they were losing yards not gaining anything. Down by the goal outside of a QB sneak they did not try to run it, they threw to Kupp. Cinn with Mixon did a better job of the run and had a little more success with it, I do think they needed to run a bit more than they did because of the pressure on Burrow. I'm all for running the ball but not just for show but being effective doing it, because 2nd and 3rd and long is not a position I want to stay in. When Dallas was running early in the season they were being effective, as defense adjusted putting more pressure up the middle vs Williams and Biadasz the run game started to suffer.

VS SF Zeke had 12 runs on the game that is about the same number Rams ran the ball with Akers and Cinn did with Mixon. You say they did not abandon the run? Stats say otherwise.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
forcing a 4th and one.

It's Samaje.. not Sammy.. but point taken. Both guys are pretty good power backs though.. Ironically both went to Oklahoma.. I think Perine actually flirted with a 400 yard game while in college which tells you he aint no slouch at running the ball either. I think he's also actually bigger than Mixon (240 to 220) so that might also have colored Taylor's thinking. But it just goes to show, if you don't block it really doesn't much matter who you give the ball to. I did like the short passing game the Rams employed though. Stafford tried to get greedy that one time and paid for it. I'm sure McVay has some words for him after that one. He didn't really take a lot of chances deep after that.. and it worked.

Sydla

Reaction score
No it's an answer. Which is that if you give a good QB a top 5 defense and a coach who doesn't try and make him do every damn thing he can get to the mountain top. Stafford didn't suddenly become an all time great QB yesterday. He's good.. even very good.. but definitely not great. He tried to throw away the NFC Championship and would have if Tart could catch and almost threw away the Super Bowl.. As with every QB who has ever won anything.. his team helped save him.. If anyone watching that game came away with "Wow Stafford was the MVP of the game" after watching that game he or she needs to turn in their football fan card. Donald and Co. won that game..

Wow, a QB got a more talented team and won a SB?

You cracked the code.