anyone buy a car through e-bay

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a car for my 16 year old son,the listing is through e-bay and it seems like I am protected,the seller is in the military and at first I was nervous,but through e-bay it seems I am protected. Thoughts

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PM Rack...he may change your mind as he got a raw deal.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
one guy told me the car he bought on Ebay was stolen, when he got it, tried to get it registered, they ran the VIN and it got taken away

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I bailed on the deal, bottom line it was a scam. I lucked out and bought a solid car for him 3 blocks from our house. :D

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I bought a VW beetle last year on ebay and had no problems. I also spent the time to call the guy and check out the car before sending any money.

sharph20

Reaction score
I know its a little late but I had a friend who purchased a car on ebay paid for it and never recieved the car. The sad thing is he never got his money back either.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I would reccomend only a local purchase of a car - Where you can physically inspect car and know where the seller is. I would be nervous shilling big $ though. I ebay all the time mostly stuff under $300 and over 500 transactions I only had 1 problem. And a month later I had my money refunded by Paypal.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ya know, this is what's so funny. i'm trying hard to sell my 01 dodge 4x4 sport pickup. excellent shape with some regular needs a truck with 113k miles on it will need.

i've had 2 people call me interested, but wanted to make payments. i said fine, as long as the 1st one is at least 90% of my asking price, i'll do that.

but the most calls are coming from finance places and other "middle men" who simply call them all trying to broker a deal. if i don't sell it in a couple of weeks or get some new leads, i may go that route or just keep it.

but the funny one came from some dude who offered me $8900 over a txt msg and i said "offer is fine, but can you come look at it first"? and then got mail from him to the address i gave him saying he'd give me a certified check for $16,500 and i could take my $8900 and return the difference to him.

bwahahahahahahahahahaha

that was a fun reply. it's crap like this that makes me wonder why we don't bomb nigeria and end their internet pilliaging.

even with bidding starting at $6k i got no bids at all. had 12 people watching it but no bids. i'll never try to sell a car on ebay again unless it's like a collectable or something where you have a very narrow market.

if you have to go through any sort of hoops, watch out and back away. while i feel bad for people who set themselves up to buy a car online and not get it, they need to be smarter than that. i'd NEVER buy something that costly and just hope the other guy is legit. this is how scammers make their cash. i'd use ebay look around but i can also find great deals (like my 06 magnum now) online and go see it at the lot.

i just can't fathom someone sending thousands of dollars to buy a car they didn't even drive, see, and validate.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hey Ice, if you don't mind me asking, how much is your listing going to cost you seeing as how you didn't even get any bids?

I've got a '97 Cherokee I'm about to sell, but I'm not trying to give ebay 10%.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;1969251 said:
Hey Ice, if you don't mind me asking, how much is your listing going to cost you seeing as how you didn't even get any bids?

I've got a '97 Cherokee I'm about to sell, but I'm not trying to give ebay 10%.

it was like $65 all told to list it the way i did. if ebay gets 10% then that's something i missed and i'd *never* have gone that route. why should they get part of what i sell after i already paid them to run the ad to sell it? seems to be double dipping.

but i paid the listing fee anyway. they'd give me a break if i relisted it but after 7 days and no bids, i didn't see the point.

i'd stick with truck trader, spend $10 or $20 more and they run it till it sells.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
sharph20;1968908 said:
I know its a little late but I had a friend who purchased a car on ebay paid for it and never recieved the car. The sad thing is he never got his money back either.

This happens frequently on ebay. People think ebay will get people their money back, but the fact is they won't. They usually pass it off to square trade (I think that's what it's called) and square trade usually won't get anything done for you either (they didn't for me).

I know I'm at fault for buying a car I didn't look at, but I figured I'd be covered if the guy lied about the car. I was wrong.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Bought my '06 Kawasaki Vulcan on e-Bay. Smooth transaction, fantastic price and it was legit. Why? Because I did business with a dealership, not a private individual. Also, the bike was new (still in the crate). You don't always get ripped off on e-Bay, but for God's sake, know who you're dealing with.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1969244 said:
that was a fun reply. it's crap like this that makes me wonder why we don't bomb nigeria and end their internet pilliaging.

what sucks is that alot of them are now running to Iran, so unless we want to get into a nuclear war w/ them over it, there's always going to be those scams going on

there needs to be more people like you, who know what they're doing and can see a scam a mile away, unfortunately alot of people are gullible

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Ebay gets like a 10% commission on every listing that sells. Or some %, i cant remember the exact amount.

My dad bought a 79' Trans Am w/ a 455 off of Ebay. Pretty sure it was from Texas and had it shipped up to North Dakota. No problems what so ever.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
I've had a "small" eBay business for roughly 3 1/2 years now. I reached "Power Seller" status in the shortest time possible by eBay's policies. Last two years I cleared between $5000-$7500 per.

Although I don't sell automobiles, one of the products I sell is listed on "eBay Motors".

I know eBay's policies, procedures and pitfalls very well. From my experience, 99.999% of buyers who lose their $$$ on eBay, do so because of their own failure to READ AND UNDERSTAND EBAY'S POLICIES BEFORE BUYING/SELLING ON EBAY!

Bottom line. If you're planning on buying something used like a car, motorcycle etc, site unseen, from a private seller, and you send them ANY form of payment that's not cancelable, you're foolish.

Any LEGIT seller on eBay will work with you on forms of payment, and if they don't or won't, FIND ANOTHER CAR TO BUY!!!

One last thing. Whoever it was that commented earlier about fees being charged before AND after a sale of an item. You MIGHT wanna log on and do a " Help"search on "FINAL VALUE FEES" aka "FVF".

Eddie

Reaction score
Actually, I've brought and sold cars on ebay. Just gotta be careful.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
needforspeed;1969949 said:
Bought my '06 Kawasaki Vulcan on e-Bay. Smooth transaction, fantastic price and it was legit. Why? Because I did business with a dealership, not a private individual. Also, the bike was new (still in the crate). You don't always get ripped off on e-Bay, but for God's sake, know who you're dealing with.

:hammer:

DallasCowpoke;1970684 said:
I've had a "small" eBay business for roughly 3 1/2 years now. I reached "Power Seller" status in the shortest time possible by eBay's policies. Last two years I cleared between $5000-$7500 per.

Although I don't sell automobiles, one of the products I sell is listed on "eBay Motors".

I know eBay's policies, procedures and pitfalls very well. From my experience, 99.999% of buyers who lose their $$$ on eBay, do so because of their own failure to READ AND UNDERSTAND EBAY'S POLICIES BEFORE BUYING/SELLING ON EBAY!

Bottom line. If you're planning on buying something used like a car, motorcycle etc, site unseen, from a private seller, and you send them ANY form of payment that's not cancelable, you're foolish.

Any LEGIT seller on eBay will work with you on forms of payment, and if they don't or won't, FIND ANOTHER CAR TO BUY!!!

One last thing. Whoever it was that commented earlier about fees being charged before AND after a sale of an item. You MIGHT wanna log on and do a " Help"search on "FINAL VALUE FEES" aka "FVF".

That's a giant load of crap.

No way in hell should a seller be allowed to advertise that a car is something or has something that it isn't or doesn't have. Period.

If a seller advertises a car as having a 440 engine in it, but it doesn't have a 440 engine in it, then the seller is at fault. And ebay is at fault for doing absolutely NOTHING about it. That's false advertising. And if I had money flowing out my butt I would have sued that guy AND ebay for it. Ebay flat out told me that the guy could have put ANY motor in it, so long as it had a motor, and there's nothing they "could" do about it. BS.

It's not the buyers fault for assuming that false advertising is illegal through ebay. And ebay shouldn't be allowing people to get away with it.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Why would anyone risk thousands of dollars making a big ticket item purchase sight unseen? E-bay is no better than tigerdirect.com: vendors selling second-hand/refurbished/garbage-quality crap and lying to potential buyers as to the condition the product is in and offering zero/pathetic warranties and refunds, etc. What would motivate someone to buy a car when he/she can't even check if the head gasket needs replacing or the front seal is gone or the shocks are toast or the VIN # has been deliberately eroded off with acid and a fake one from another vehicle of the same make/model has been attached etc.? E-bay is a place for gullible suckers too lazy to actually go outside.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;1973495 said:
Why would anyone risk thousands of dollars making a big ticket item purchase sight unseen? E-bay is no better than tigerdirect.com: vendors selling second-hand/refurbished/garbage-quality crap and lying to potential buyers as to the condition the product is in and offering zero/pathetic warranties and refunds, etc. What would motivate someone to buy a car when he/she can't even check if the head gasket needs replacing or the front seal is gone or the shocks are toast or the VIN # has been deliberately eroded off with acid and a fake one from another vehicle of the same make/model has been attached etc.? E-bay is a place for gullible suckers too lazy to actually go outside.

Yes, I was too lazy to drive or fly 2000 miles to go look at the car. :rolleyes:

I wasn't concerned with the actual CONDITION of the vehicle or motor cuz (if you actually checked into it before flapping your internet gums) I am RESTORING the car anyway. Including the engine. I wasn't concerned cuz most of the stuff would have been replaced or restored ANYWAY.

But you can't restore a 383 motor into a 440 motor. All I cared about was if the car were rotted out (rust) and the motor being a 440. The car isn't rotted out, but the guy advertised the car as having a 440, but it didn't. If I had the freakin' money to buy a plane ticket just to go look at the car, then I would have bought one already restored.

Know all the info before you go criticizing people, Nancy.