anyone buy a car through e-bay

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Rack;1973599 said:
Yes, I was too lazy to drive or fly 2000 miles to go look at the car. :rolleyes:

I wasn't concerned with the actual CONDITION of the vehicle or motor cuz (if you actually checked into it before flapping your internet gums) I am RESTORING the car anyway. Including the engine. I wasn't concerned cuz most of the stuff would have been replaced or restored ANYWAY.

But you can't restore a 383 motor into a 440 motor. All I cared about was if the car were rotted out (rust) and the motor being a 440. The car isn't rotted out, but the guy advertised the car as having a 440, but it didn't. If I had the freakin' money to buy a plane ticket just to go look at the car, then I would have bought one already restored.

Know all the info before you go criticizing people, Nancy.

:hammer:

Fatty_VM

Reaction score
I purchased my 1976 corvette project car from an e-bay seller ... no problems, he even flat bed shipped it up to NY for me with no hassle what so ever.

Just do your research man, there are people out there who sell alot of legitimate goods. Just remember if the deal is TOO good, it's prob. a scam.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Fatty_VM;1973749 said:
I purchased my 1976 corvette project car from an e-bay seller ... no problems, he even flat bed shipped it up to NY for me with no hassle what so ever.

Just do your research man, there are people out there who sell alot of legitimate goods. Just remember if the deal is TOO good, it's prob. a scam.

:hammer:

Agreed. I've learned so much since I bought the car. I will now never buy a car unless I can see it myself.

Sad thing is, there was another '68 charger on ebay about the time I got mine and it was in texas but it had a 383 motor (obviously if I'd known I was being lied to I would have bought the texas car) in and a bit more rust than I wanted. That car went for about 3K cheaper than the one I got.

:bang2:

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Rack;1971837 said:
That's a giant load of crap.

No way in hell should a seller be allowed to advertise that a car is something or has something that it isn't or doesn't have. Period.

If a seller advertises a car as having a 440 engine in it, but it doesn't have a 440 engine in it, then the seller is at fault. And ebay is at fault for doing absolutely NOTHING about it. That's false advertising. And if I had money flowing out my butt I would have sued that guy AND ebay for it. Ebay flat out told me that the guy could have put ANY motor in it, so long as it had a motor, and there's nothing they "could" do about it. BS.

It's not the buyers fault for assuming that false advertising is illegal through ebay. And ebay shouldn't be allowing people to get away with it.

Bottom line is, you sent cash/check or a money order, or some other form of non-cancelable payment to a guy you didn't know, for a used car of all things, you'd never seen.

Apparently you do have $$$ flowing "out of your butt", if you're willing to do something as foolhardy and naive as that.

Sorry you lost you cash bro, I truly am, but to paraphrase a recently popular commercial campaign... "DUDE!!!!????"

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I bought my car on Ebay a couple years ago and had no problems. However, the seller was a local small dealership. Ebay was an easy way for them to get lots of exposure on the cheap.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Saying it's the buyers fault cuz they got screwed over by a dishonest ebay seller is something only a dishonest seller would say.

Yeah, it's ok to be dishonest cuz all the responsibility (or "99%" as stated above) is on the buyer. :rolleyes:

Do you actually believe that crap? What's your ebay username so I can be sure never to buy anything from you.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Rack;1974658 said:
Saying it's the buyers fault cuz they got screwed over by a dishonest ebay seller is something only a dishonest seller would say.

Yeah, it's ok to be dishonest cuz all the responsibility (or "99%" as stated above) is on the buyer. :rolleyes:

Do you actually believe that crap? What's your ebay username so I can be sure never to buy anything from you.

Honestly, I fail to see where I said you were at fault? On the contrary, there's no doubt you were mislead, and probably ripped-off in some fashion.

My point is, eBay Motors, as well as regular eBay, but even more so on Motors, is VERY explicate on their policies.

Apparently among the ones you overlooked, or just failed to comprehend, was the one regarding, if you send a payment that IS NOT CANCELABLE, they have no way to recover your money. Honestly, how you think they could, or would, is far fetched to me?

I also fail to see where I said it was ok to be dishonest? But yes, the onus IS ON THE BUYER to be sure what they're buying IS what they're getting.

I'd think even doubly so if you're GIVING YOUR UN-RECLAIMABLE MONEY AWAY, before you even SEE THE ITEM. TRIPLY so, if that item is a freekin', used, meant for restoration, CAR!!!

And as far as the snide cut at my reputation on eBay, or how my morals operate on there? Suffice it to say, I haven't been a Power Seller on there for 3+ years, operating three separate eBay Stores, because of poor ones.

" BoldTalkProductions " & " TheKitchenLiquidators ", feel free to check my feedback.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Obviously being an ebay "Power Seller" your bias lies with sellers so arguing with you is pointless.

Still to say "From my experience, 99.999% of buyers who lose their $$$ on eBay, do so because of their own failure" is a major exhaggeration. I agree with you actually, to a point, but 99.99%? Gimme a freakin' break.

And selling .99 cent cameras isn't exactly major business. How can anyone get screwed out of spending a dollar?

Like I stated earlier, I bought a car to restore it so pointing out that I bought a "USED CAR" is pointless cuz you don't freakin' restore a new car. And again, I wasn't concerned about the CONDITION Of the engine, just that it was a 440. The guy lied about what engine it was. If he had lied about the CONDITION of the engine (which he did) I wouldn't have been upset about it since it was gonna be rebuilt anyway.

Bottom line, you should not be allowed to false advertise on ebay. If it's against the law, how does ebay get away with it?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sharph20;1968908 said:
I know its a little late but I had a friend who purchased a car on ebay paid for it and never recieved the car. The sad thing is he never got his money back either.

Why would you pay for a car before picking it up - :bang2: :bang2: