Anyone concerned on if Adrian Peterson gets the start?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to quit giving the LB's a pass on this. Sure the DL is part of the problem, but the LBs have to step into the running lanes and make plays as well. The Cowboys want their DL to get penetration and be disruptive, and that naturally will leave a running lane or two that the LBs have to fill.

I'm seeing a disconnect between the two parts, defensive line and linebackers, almost as if they're being coached separately. Oh yeah...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I doubt Rod or Richard is very happy with the play. Having said that I give credit to Barkley he is not some chump RB and that is not the 1st big game he has had nor will it be the last. However like you and others I was not overly happy with the overall play of the defense despite giving up 10 points and a garbage time 7 towards the end of the game. Defense looked slow and sluggish in the opener, I don't expect to see that in this upcoming game

I didn't think the overall defense looked bad, but specifically the defensive line did. This just looks like more of the same to me. They can have a great day against a bad offensive line like the Texans, but as soon as they're faced with a good one? Nothing. And yes, given the additions the Giants made last year, I now consider them closer to being good than the train wreck they were last year, but still not great.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I didn't think the overall defense looked bad, but specifically the defensive line did. This just looks like more of the same to me. They can have a great day against a bad offensive line like the Texans, but as soon as they're faced with a good one? Nothing. And yes, given the additions the Giants made last year, I now consider them closer to being good than the train wreck they were last year, but still not great.

As I said I was not overly happy with the defense in general but I also know that was game 1 of the season, I don't panic that easy. I am not excusing the play and I expect a lot more from them. I fully expect to see this group go out next weekend and perform to a higher level.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Heck, we held Barkley to only 11 yards a carry, we'll be fine. :muttley:
lol. Present day AP aint no Barkley. Im sure he is still good, and our defense HAS to do better this week against the run, but I don't think we are facing the same quality runner he was years ago.

Lutonio

Reaction score
It sounds like Jay Gruden is down on him and there's some drama. He was interviewed about AP not being active after the game, and he said something sarcastic along the lines of "sure, he'll be active when I think we can get in an I-formation and run it 50 times a game."

Sounds like he didn't want him on the roster and there is some in-house fighting about I-formation runs/offensive philosophy.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I keep going back to three seasons ago if I'm correct. We had the number one run-stopping defense. Y. We would pause make sure it wasn't a run before we attack the quarterback. When you get up field as quick as this Frontline does . the running back is going to sneak through the lanes. And yes strong safety and linebackers better be prepared for it

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Completely agree... The linebackers are a problem too. Their positioning has been terrible.

They are great players but they've been part of the problem.

They do a great job sideline to sideline, but as run stuffers in the middle they definitely have room for improvement.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
We have to quit giving the LB's a pass on this. Sure the DL is part of the problem, but the LBs have to step into the running lanes and make plays as well. The Cowboys want their DL to get penetration and be disruptive, and that naturally will leave a running lane or two that the LBs have to fill.
This. On Barkley's 59 yd run, LVE filled the wrong gap and left a huge hole for him to run through. If he fills that gap, it would have been a 2-3 yd gain.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This. On Barkley's 59 yd run, LVE filled the wrong gap and left a huge hole for him to run through. If he fills that gap, it would have been a 2-3 yd gain.

Yep.. LVE and Crawford get blocked and now we get to here how amazing Barkley is when anyone could've made that run it was so open.

shabazz

Reaction score
He was #5 in Rushing last year so he doesn't stand a prayer

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yep.. LVE and Crawford get blocked and now we get to here how amazing Barkley is when anyone could've made that run it was so open.
LVE actually went more to the middle and got caught up in the traffic there. If he would have just stayed where he was Barkley would have ran right into him.

quickccc

Reaction score
All depends on if the defensive line shows up.

+1
it's not near the same AP of the past. but as I've said several times over, as good and tough as we were vs run at home, we underachieved and played soft vs run On the Road last year,
and I believe a lot had to do with the play of the DL , and at times even the LBs, as guys like Jaylon misguessing gaps and caught up in traffic. (especially vs misdirection)
I still haven't figured it out why the day and night differences vs run.. at home vs on the road.
this is an example of why some stats (5th vs run) could be misleading.

and last year Peterson and the Skins ran for over 100+ yards in an upset loss in DC.
So if we cannot stop the run, that's going open up even more play action, etc. for the likes of Keenum and TEs Davis, etc. and that much more of a headache.

quickccc

Reaction score
Didn't AP hit us with a 100 yard game last season?

AP had 99 yrds rushing I believe, pretty sure he had a nice YPA too. I think Skins as a team had 148 yrds rushing.

the flip side was - when we played the Skins again and at home here, AP was well held in check and a non factor vs the run.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
LOL, no. Their starter is out. Peterson wasn’t even active this past Sunday. That says a lot.

krimson

Reaction score
Our run defense has been horrible the past two games. If I had AP on my fantasy team I would start him.