Anyone Else Get The Feeling Mazi has a Little Micah in Him?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Athletically? Yeah, he’s a freak. That’s why he was tops on Feldman’s freak list.

This is well known and not news.

Every draft there are a couple of athletic freaks … remember Isaiah Simmons?…

Whether they turn those physical gifts into NFL success is another matter entirely.

I’ll be happy if Mazi is a solid DT for the next 6-8 years.

Beyond that?

Comparing him to Micah, is silly. Micah has the physical gifts but couples it with ridiculous instincts and drive.

I was a major proponent of Mazi leading up to the draft, and I still am, but we need to tap the breaks.

To quote an all-time great coach

"Let's not break out the anointing oil just yet."
Look at how far he came from his freshman year until he was drafted. That's what I mean. He just kept getting better every year.

Like, he loved the process of getting better.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
We all talk about what an athlete Micah is, but Mazi is an athlete in his own right, has a 9.99 RAS. Micah Parsons has a 9.5ish.. Just to get a sense of what we're working with. Mazi was big and strong when he came in as a freshman, and his coaches said he just kept getting better and better. So he's been on a consistent trajectory of getting better, and the more you watch him, the more you see he has the kind of strength to play 1T and 3T. So he gives you that, and will obviously help you against the run off the bat, especially if you pair him with a guy like Hankins.

Plus, he just has that fire in him to get better.
I don't think Mazi has any baby mamas so no. I can't say he has a little Micah in him just yet.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Cowboys annual pre-season hype - out team is made up of GOAT's top to bottom. Even our backup QB is better than Brady and Montana in their prime.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Cowboys annual pre-season hype - out team is made up of GOAT's top to bottom. Even our backup QB is better than Brady and Montana in their prime.
No he just has a higher winning percentage then the starter does

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
We all talk about what an athlete Micah is, but Mazi is an athlete in his own right, has a 9.99 RAS. Micah Parsons has a 9.5ish.. Just to get a sense of what we're working with. Mazi was big and strong when he came in as a freshman, and his coaches said he just kept getting better and better. So he's been on a consistent trajectory of getting better, and the more you watch him, the more you see he has the kind of strength to play 1T and 3T. So he gives you that, and will obviously help you against the run off the bat, especially if you pair him with a guy like Hankins.

Plus, he just has that fire in him to get better.
let's hope Hankins comes in motivated

Pass2Run

Reaction score
let's hope Hankins comes in motivated
I think he will. Hankins is a beast. He's probably one of the most underrated, underappreciated players on our roster. And we get him for a full season this year. Plus, we have other upgrades that I think give us at least one more win. I see us getting 13 in spite of the tough schedule.

I suspect players like Markquese Bell will step up this year. I also like guys like Cropper. I still can't believe we got him UDFA. I;m pinching myself on that one.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I think he will. Hankins is a beast. He's probably one of the most underrated, underappreciated players on our roster. And we get him for a full season this year. Plus, we have other upgrades that I think give us at least one more win. I see us getting 13 in spite of the tough schedule.

I suspect players like Markquese Bell will step up this year. I also like guys like Cropper. I still can't believe we got him UDFA. I;m pinching myself on that one.
I like Bell. But he'll ne hard pressed to make it. Unless he can unseat Goodwin for special teams.

Cropper is a Turpin clone. He'll be lucky to make the practice squad. Unless Tolbert completely busts in preseason, hes almost a lock for WR4. They're not just going to walk away from a 3rd round pick after one year.

We'll most likely carry 5 WRs, with Turpin hopefully adding a little something as Returner/WR6.

We have our rookie WR that no one is talking about. Fehoko. Durden. Houston. Calloway. All of those guys are competing for that 5th spot.

We can only keep 53 guys.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think everyone on this forum needs to take a step back on Mazi. There are almost no examples of even 1st round techs ‘dominating’ in year 1. Most don’t become pro bowl caliber until year 3 or so.
This.

Name a big, studly run stuffer you'd like to have on the Cowboys, and I'll show you a guy who didn't break out until his 3rd or 4th season. Vita Vea, Big Q, Derrick Brown, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Da'Ron Payne, DJ Reader....

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I feel pretty confident that Mazi is going to be at the very least a decent player for Dallas.

He has the athletic ceiling to allow him to become something of a game wrecker, but it will likely take time for him to get there.

I’m excited about his potential and think he will certainly be a valuable addition to the DL rotation the moment he steps on the field.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. Not at all. We didn’t know what Micah was until he stepped on to that field. Far too early to know what Mazi is. If Mazi is a young Hanskins in the making we will take that and be happy.
You didn't know what Micah was, you mean.

Never lump me in with your cluelessness.

You're dismissed.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Mazi has never shown a tiny fraction of what Micah showed in college.

a truly ridiculous OP.

There are lots of incredibly gifted physical athletes. But most of them are not great PLAYERS.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Nope. Not at all. We didn’t know what Micah was until he stepped on to that field. Far too early to know what Mazi is. If Mazi is a young Hanskins in the making we will take that and be happy.
The above are startling assertions and strong words. We are all in awe.