Anyone Else See the Cameron Robbins Story from the Bahamas?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone here has followed this case. It's interesting. I also think he was *likely* taken out by several sharks. I think this channel does a pretty good job enhancing the video which enables you to see a bit more than before it was enhanced. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest watching this video.

As someone who has lost a child myself, I'm 99 percent sure his parents realize it was likely a shark, because Cameron was at least pretty good at baseball which would indicate, to me, at least, that he should be able to swim to the life-ring or the boat or the back of the boat without going under the water. They simply don't want to make it more of a spectacle than it already is.

After sleuthing around for a few hours, I came up with a few takeaways that I haven't seen in most discussions on this case.

Firstly, if these objects in the water are indeed sharks, there's definitely more than one of them. I'm usually cautious about not jumping to conclusions. Assumptions are fine, so that's all I'm willing to say right now. My assumption? It's sharks, plural. If you want to know why, watch the above video. I also enhanced the video myself because I wanted to eliminate the theory that there's a shark at his feet, if I could. However, I could not. If I had to bet on one scenario over the other, I'm betting it was sharks.

The mantra from the so-called "experts" about sharks has been that "sharks just aren't that interested in humans, especially as food. But there is the fact that cruise ships, charter boats and party boats oftentimes dump food overboard, partiers vomit, people throw food in the water, etcetera. This is especially the case in the Bahamas. If the sharks do this for any considerable amount of time, they are conditioned to repeat the behavior, especially when the reward is an easy meal with little work.

You get what I'm saying. My point is, sharks in that area are accustomed to something being thrown into the water. Then, they don't wait for the food to fall, they all race for it. Also, the image in the top left, and the one that came up to his feet (which some said was actually a splash) matches the characteristics of a Tiger shark,which you can look up online if you want. The fins match up, although I think the first shark seen is around 7-8 feet long.

Here is the video.

What many speculate happened to Cameron Robbins lines up with how the sharks are behaving in this video. So, the shark's predatorial nature is indeed not the problem. The problem is pretty obviously our conditioning of the sharks to associate boats with food, and associate splashes in the water as food falling from the boat into the water. I don't think Cameron ever stood a chance in those waters. The second he jumped in during that time of day, he was fish food. It's possible whoever dared him also knew this.

Also, everyone is assuming that the person screaming in the first part of the video is a female. I don't think that's the case; I think it may be Robbins. Also, when the video pans away before eventually panning back, I'm 75 percent sure his arm is either missing, or he's cradling it. One thing is for sure, by that point, he had stopped using his arm. Perhaps because it's no longer attached?

Also, why would he swim away from the life-ring? The narrator explains that Cameron is looking at a shark, or sharks, between himself and the life-ring, and decided to swim towards the back of the boat. At that point, I think he is taken down from the back and the front. At first, I thought that was just as splash from kicking his feet. But when I slowed it down there are two separate incidents: a shark surfacing, and a splash from the shark re-entering the water.

Lastly, you can hear people mention sharks at least twice if you listen closely to the audio. So I think it's likely that some of the passengers also saw sharks, and I think their reactions during those few moments indicate sharks were present. This was also at night when Tiger sharks typically hunt. The fact it was dark would also inhibit the shark's sight enough so it may not decipher the food was actually a human until it was too late. By then, the sharks had already done the deed, and I think they dragged him down and likely chewed him apart. Because of how they are conditioned to feed from the boats.

A couple of other things. In the slow-motion version of the video, it seems like Cameron is rammed by the shark.. he loses his balance somehow that doesn't match up with how he's moving. I concede it's possible this is also due to the current. However, I don't think the current took him down, because the life ring wasn't moving. It was sitting rather still on top of the water .

I also observed several eye-like glows in the water. Sometimes, those glows would move or reappear. The sharks were moving around the area, but all of the moving around was done within the small area and their group, and more importantly, from under Cameron's wading position.

Anyway, I feel bad for this guy's parents, even though they adopted him, and even worse for him because he'll never have a chance to learn form this mistake.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To me, it looks like he was being sucked towards the props. You can see him struggling to get to the floatation device as he was being pulled back, into the ship.

I seriously doubt there was a school of sharks just sitting there waiting for some idiot to jump off and pounce into action.

I have done 100+ night scuba dives all over the Caribbean(including the Bahamas) and you are lucky to even see a shark.

Hardline

Reaction score
To me, it looks like he was being sucked towards the props. You can see him struggling to get to the floatation device as he was being pulled back, into the ship.

I seriously doubt there was a school of sharks just sitting there waiting for some idiot to jump off and pounce into action.

I have done 100+ night scuba dives all over the Caribbean(including the Bahamas) and you are lucky to even see a shark.
I've scuba dived Cozumel and Belize and never seen a shark on a day or night dive.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Given the area, and the fact that dumping food, and trash overboard, as well as chumming so tourists can observe the sharks, like I was saying in the OP, these sharks are conditioned. The area they were in wasn't just in any area, it was near an area known to be highly populated with sharks.
If the propeller was sucking him under the boat, then why is the nearby floatation device, or life ring, pretty much still when it's only 15 - 20 ft away from him?

Also, I haven't verified this yet. But the boat appears to be stopped. I can't imagine even the drunkest 18-year old jumping from a moving boat into the Caribbean, and not move towards the life preserver.. or being able to move towards it enough that he should be able to catch up to it as its also being sucked by the props.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure, although not certain, it's not the propellers. To me, it doesn't seem like you've watched the videos or read all of what I posted. All good. I'm open to changing my mind. That's part of why I posted it here. But you'll need a stronger argument backed by more evidence than existential knowledge.

Again, this video is from a few days after, near the same spot.. you're telling me I'd have a difficult time finding a shark? I see dozens after the food splashes the water, which is part of the reasoning behind the assumption. It's an assumption, but a logical one, IMO.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Given the area, and the fact that dumping food, and trash overboard, as well as chumming so tourists can observe the sharks, like I was saying in the OP, these sharks are conditioned. The area they were in wasn't just in any area, it was near an area known to be highly populated with sharks.
If the propeller was sucking him under the boat, then why is the nearby floatation device, or life ring, pretty much still when it's only 15 - 20 ft away from him?

Also, I haven't verified this yet. But the boat appears to be stopped. I can't imagine even the drunkest 18-year old jumping from a moving boat into the Caribbean, and not move towards the life preserver.. or being able to move towards it enough that he should be able to catch up to it as its also being sucked by the props.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure, although not certain, it's not the propellers. To me, it doesn't seem like you've watched the videos or read all of what I posted. All good. I'm open to changing my mind. That's part of why I posted it here. But you'll need a stronger argument backed by more evidence than existential knowledge.

Again, this video is from a few days after, near the same spot.. you're telling me I'd have a difficult time finding a shark? I see dozens after the food splashes the water, which is part of the reasoning behind the assumption. It's an assumption, but a logical one, IMO.

The floatation ring is on the surface and made to stay afloat, it takes much more to pull it under, the suction is a few feet below the surface…..minimal on the top meniscus. I can’t tell if the boat is moving or not but I also don’t see sharks(looks like bad camera flares from water disruption)…..just shotty camera work like filming a bigfoot sighting :laugh:

It may be a feeding frenzy, especially if some were chumming the water prior. There isn’t enough in the video to say one way or another though. I have been negligently near a large ship diving while 100ft below it and the pull is real. I did all I could to escape the suction.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/experts-say-it-is-unlikely-teenager-cameron-robbins-was-eaten-by-shark/news-story/bcc068d7f2b85f8b223b3a2ad86c7f43#:~:text=Internet viewers speculated the object,worked with the Robbins family.

The shadow of a mysterious being can be seen in the water just feet from where he swam.

Internet viewers speculated the object was a shark which pulled him under.

But experts largely reject the claim.

“We’ve consulted with oceanography and fisheries experts,” said Brian Trascher, vice president and spokesperson for the United Cajun Navy, a non-profit that has worked with the Robbins family. “They don’t believe … that he came in contact with any time of shark or predatory marine life

I will say that the boat doesn’t appear to be large enough to drag him under like a cruise ship(which is what I thought it was before delving in). If he was drunk….maybe.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The floatation ring is on the surface and made to stay afloat, it takes much more to pull it under, the suction is a few feet below the surface…..minimal on the top meniscus. I can’t tell if the boat is moving or not but I also don’t see sharks(looks like bad camera flares from water disruption)…..just shotty camera work like filming a bigfoot sighting :laugh:

It may be a feeding frenzy, especially if some were chumming the water prior. There isn’t enough in the video to say one way or another though. I have been negligently near a large ship diving while 100ft below it and the pull is real. I did all I could to escape the suction.
I checked on the boat moving part. It's confirmed to have been anchored.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/experts-say-it-is-unlikely-teenager-cameron-robbins-was-eaten-by-shark/news-story/bcc068d7f2b85f8b223b3a2ad86c7f43#:~:text=Internet viewers speculated the object,worked with the Robbins family.

The shadow of a mysterious being can be seen in the water just feet from where he swam.

Internet viewers speculated the object was a shark which pulled him under.

But experts largely reject the claim.

“We’ve consulted with oceanography and fisheries experts,” said Brian Trascher, vice president and spokesperson for the United Cajun Navy, a non-profit that has worked with the Robbins family. “They don’t believe … that he came in contact with any time of shark or predatory marine life

I will say that the boat doesn’t appear to be large enough to drag him under like a cruise ship(which is what I thought it was before delving in). If he was drunk….maybe.
The experts are full of it, IMO, and trying to protect sharks from backlash as well as the tourism industry who likely paid them. There's also a girl's mother who was attacked by a shark, and she said nobody told them about recent shark attacks near the same area they were in.

Anyway, at least watch the 2nd video and the slow motions. I'm actually working on an article now that shows the shark come near the surface and shows the pattern known to be seen on younger tiger sharks. But the pattern fades as the shark ages. Not only that, the whitish lips of the shark seen popping out of the water also match what a tiger shark would look like. That, and they swim in school.

There's also the family, who understandably doesn't want this story turning into a spectacle. Again, this has to do with feeding from ships and boats which some of these so-called experts aren't familiar with, much less the basics of animal psychology and psychology in general: conditioning.

I respect what you're saying. But we can agree to disagree.

There are several points in the video which show yet another shark swimming near hm and apparently attacking him. You can see the tails whip and everything. Not to mention the head coming out of the water and driving him down and under. I'm usually a skeptic too. But so far, I'm leaning toward being convinced. Like I said, I put this here to see if someone could show me a better argument. But I've been over this so many times, and each time, it's like I see a new shark. I've seen like 5 total, at differnt points. If this water wasn't "infested," it was well full of enough sharks to make jumping over them at night one of the more dangerous things you can do. The night time made it worse because sharks can't see well enough to distinguish humans from seals. I'll admit. Maybe they didn't eat him. But I'm positive they tasted him.

Creeper

Reaction score
Sad story, whatever happened. I am no expert but I have swam in the waters around the Bahamas and I found it very difficult to dive below the surface and stay submerged. Buoyancy just shot me up to the surface. But that was in daylight when the water was probably warmest. I cannot imagine the buoyancy is significantly less at night. Still, people drown in all kinds of waters so it is possible.

Also, do sharks typically drag prey below the surface, other than in the Jaws movies? I thought they bite off chunks at whatever depth they find their prey. It seems to me if he was attacked by sharks there would be more commotion in the water - and blood.

rags747

Reaction score
At the end of the day when you enter into a body of water you are entering their home. I am much more cognizant of that today then I was when I was a teenager.

nobody

Reaction score
The guy removed himself from the gene pool by stupidly jumping into the water. Sucks for his family, but not pity for stupidity like that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
At the end of the day when you enter into a body of water you are entering their home. I am much more cognizant of that today then I was when I was a teenager.
Since I can remember, I always knew better than to swim in the ocean.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Sad story, whatever happened. I am no expert but I have swam in the waters around the Bahamas and I found it very difficult to dive below the surface and stay submerged. Buoyancy just shot me up to the surface. But that was in daylight when the water was probably warmest. I cannot imagine the buoyancy is significantly less at night. Still, people drown in all kinds of waters so it is possible.

Also, do sharks typically drag prey below the surface, other than in the Jaws movies? I thought they bite off chunks at whatever depth they find their prey. It seems to me if he was attacked by sharks there would be more commotion in the water - and blood.
Speculation is Tiger Sharks, which thrashed the guy around the water in Egypt, or Bull Sharks which pretty much eat anything and also behave like the video possibly shows attacking him before he goes under.

When I watch the video it seems like something is pulling him. In some enhanced versions it looks like you can see something take a bite of his arm, a split-second before he's out of the picture. Then it pans back and he's swimming with one hand. I think he's being pulled the other way by a shark when the one comes out of the water to attack him.

Creeper

Reaction score
Speculation is Tiger Sharks, which thrashed the guy around the water in Egypt, or Bull Sharks which pretty much eat anything and also behave like the video possibly shows attacking him before he goes under.

When I watch the video it seems like something is pulling him. In some enhanced versions it looks like you can see something take a bite of his arm, a split-second before he's out of the picture. Then it pans back and he's swimming with one hand. I think he's being pulled the other way by a shark when the one comes out of the water to attack him.
I understand crocodiles and alligators will drag prey below the surface because they attack mammals that do not live in water. But sharks live off sea animals which live in the water and therefore dragging them below the surfaces serves no purpose. That's why I asked about sharks dragging prey down. But it is possible if they took his arms off treading water or staying on the surface would be difficult.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I understand crocodiles and alligators will drag prey below the surface because they attack mammals that do not live in water. But sharks live off sea animals which live in the water and therefore dragging them below the surfaces serves no purpose. That's why I asked about sharks dragging prey down. But it is possible if they took his arms off treading water or staying on the surface would be difficult.
Look at the patterns at which some Tiger Sharks use to feed. Also, I diagnosed the video. At some point his leg goes dark like theres a shadow underneath him at some point. Its right when he starts "swimming" toward the back of the boat. Anyway, if you slow mo that part and zoom in it becomes apparent, to me at least, that that shadow is his blood pooling in the water..

I could be absolutley wrong. But if I had to bet, I count at least 4 possible frames where theres likely a shark somewhere in the picture.