Anyone else think on Sunday..

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
That despite the supposed windy/snowy conditions that are predicted that Garrett is just pretty going to give up on the run early & have Romo air out vs Pitts?

I can see them getting no where early vs the run D & scrapping it all together.

No one has run for even 70 yards @ Pittsburgh this year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think so. But we may very well have to pass to set the run up. But that is our offense. We match up as well as anyone against that defense. If they had an offense to go with it then I'd really worry.

We can win if we get out of our own way.

Sickwitit

Reaction score
Think well go out there and hit them in the mouth the injury bug as hit them as well and this cowboy team is the best in the league and everyone is about to find out I predict 120 yrds total rushing.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
CrazyMonster;2461073 said:
That despite the supposed windy/snowy conditions that are predicted that Garrett is just pretty going to give up on the run early & have Romo air out vs Pitts?

I think it depends more on Barber's health than the weather. But, IMO, Garrett's had his share of boneheaded decisions recently. To me, the worst was keeping Barber in the game against San Francisco into the 4th Qtr. That could have been VERY valuable real-game experience given to Choice, especially having learned that Jones was done and that he'd be *the* backup.

THOUGH, I think after the debacle of the 1st Washington game, maybe Romo will audible back to a run early on in the game haha

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think we hit them early with a couple 8-15 yard completions to Roy Williams.

That really opens things up when you have to cover him as well as T.O. and Witten. The run defense will be in for a fight if we get the DBs playing off.

Our OL is not very good against quick penetration but they are excellent down field road graders who get to the 2nd level well. I think our DL matches up well running right at Pitt if Gurode can hold his own against Hampton.

We should put up the best offensive day versus Pitt this year and do so easily, but that shouldn't shock anyone as we'll be the best offense they face that has seen a 3-4 regularly. Pitt has been great on defense because they have dictated down and distance but Dallas is less bound by those conventions than most teams because of the explosion they have. We'll go to 3rd and 8 and not panic and we'll run some on 3rd and long with Barber doing a good job of getting first downs in passing situations. If we hadn't lost Romo for 3 games this offense would be ranked a lot higher than it already is.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sickwitit;2461080 said:
Think well go out there and hit them in the mouth the injury big as hit them as well and this cowboy team is the best in the league and everyone is about to find out I predict 120 yrds total rushing.

Nice first post.

Out and out daily homerism can get old but right now is the time to go Cowboy Crazy imho.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, there has been a prediction made that Tashard Choice will gain 100 yards against that Steelers run defense, so...

Back to reality. I think you're right, but I'm thinking that it'll be the condition of the field, affected by the weather, which will have Garrett preferring the pass over the run. If Barber and Choice become too bogged down and aren't able to cut very well early, he may go to the pass, but that's not necessarily a bad decision.

If he trades the run for the short passing game with Barber or Choice out of the backfield and Witten across the middle, the offense will pick up more yards via the air way than on the ground anyway. Also, short passes negate any throwing disadvantage.

I can't wait for Sunday to get here.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

We are not going to run on them. We will do it just for the mechanics of it, but we will not make big plays in the running game I dont think.

Garrett was pretty good gameplanning for the first time against spagnualo's defense, Jim Johnsons defense, lovie smiths defense, leslie frasier's, gregg williams and monte kiffin.

Everyone bags on garrett here, but his gameplan against the best defensive minds in the league have been good. We attacked philly last year the first time we played them and negated their blitzing, we used a no huddle hurry up against minnesota to negate their size and tire their tackles out.

he seems to have good success in his first meeting against the big time defensive coaches, Dick lebeau is right there with belichick as the two best.

In our game against new england last year we were winning and had the ball when we got some penalties and that changed the game.

I have confidence with 10 days to prepare, Jason Garrett, Skip peete, ray sherman, hudson houck and wade wilson have a sound plan for sunday. Whether or not it can be carried out is yet to be seen.

but back to the original question, I think we will run out of neccesity and fort the mechanics of it but I cant imagine they are expecting to have a big day against those linebackers with a gimpy barber.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
We're going to need balance this week probably more than any other week the entire season.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
N.E. got two huge running plays last week when they ran draws. One play was 51 yards by Kevin Faulk.

I think you will see the delayed draw go for big plays in this game. If they rush four, look for Garrett to run that draw. (3rd and 3, 3rd and 4, 3rd and 5, and even 3rd and 6 or 7) This play really works against blitzing defenses. Garrett did it to the Eagles in Philadelphia last year. Plus, Dallas runs this play very well.

If they rush four guys on 3rd and 4, for example, this play could really burn them.

Tashard Choice can do it. Just pick up the blitzes.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the Boys pass to setup the run. Let them keep rushing and getting tired and 2nd half Barber takes over. JG has done this before with success.

Romo is awesome picking up the blitz and Barber and Anderson can be a weapon out of the backfield. I would expect some RB screens and slants from the WRs early.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
STAR GAZER;2461077 said:
Stick with a balanced attack plan Red!!!!

Nope. Not against the Steelers. Have a game plan, but definitely take what the defense is giving you. If that means airing it out, then we have the weapons to do so.

The running game is still inconsistant in Dallas.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sickwitit;2461080 said:
Think well go out there and hit them in the mouth the injury bug as hit them as well and this cowboy team is the best in the league and everyone is about to find out I predict 120 yrds total rushing.
:welcome: to the CowboysZone!!!!!

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I don't think we'll run the ball all that much. I bet Romo throws the ball 35 times.

Just a feeling I got.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Punch em in the mouth. Go deep early and often before field conditions get progressively worse as the game goes on.