Anyone else's butt sore? (Property Taxes)

Wheeltax

Reaction score
Yep...our property is -hugely- overvalued by the city, like all the properties in my area are. They get to keep saying 'look, we didn't even raise your property taxes!' Well no, the rate stays the same, but they constantly overvalue properties so their income increases anyway.

Crooks indeed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think I am being screwed now. After my informal hearing, they changed the CDU from Average to Excellent and changed the Effective Build Date of my house from 1996 to 2001 (Actually built in 1986). There isn't a single house in the neighborhood rated like this, so now I have no comps.

they definitely want to make an example of you to go to that much trouble. Not sure that there is anything else you can do now; unless you want to spend a lot of money on lawyers and take them to court.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I talked to another appraiser over the phone, and he seemed a lot more helpful. He thought it was quite odd that my property information was changed within a few hours of meeting with the original guy. He found some comments in the system and he is going to speak with the original appraiser and call me back.

erickb

Reaction score
We bought our new house back in 2005 for $339K (top of the market but we made a killing on selling our other house!!) tax value was around $350K total, now it's 2014 house market value is $250K and tax value is $330K so it happens everywhere, this is in WA.

vlad

Reaction score
That's ridiculous - sorry man. Maybe you can convince some bad *** lawyer to go class-action....I'm assuming you're in TX where in theory people's rights are supposed to be protected. Maybe you can you use the power of the web and shoot some type of video over to the governor and at least get some publicity on it. Just goes to show all these politicians are pocket-lining crooks.