anyone ever burned a dvd

CowboyChris

Reaction score
ok guys, i bought a dvd burner and installed to my computer, it came with the nero software, i had download the torrents for the cowboys week 1 vs the jags and week2 vs the skins, im currently burning the video Boys vs Jags from my pc to a dvd-r, my questions is does it take 2 hours?? that doesnt seem right. thoughts please.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
ok guys, i bought a dvd burner and installed to my computer, it came with the nero software, i had download the torrents for the cowboys week 1 vs the jags and week2 vs the skins, im currently burning the video Boys vs Jags from my pc to a dvd-r, my questions is does it take 2 hours?? that doesnt seem right. thoughts please.

I can't imagine it taking that long but it depends on the speed of your machine.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
geeze not even 2 mins after i posted this, it got moved to the tech zone.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I can't imagine it taking that long but it depends on the speed of your machine.

i have a pretty good pc, and the burner is a 16x16

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i have a 16x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) and i have a new mac pro (4 processors in two chips UBER fast) and only a gig of ram and i burn them in under 5 mins

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could be wrong but I imagine you used an option that will make it playable on a stand alone DVD player.

Normally if I am doing a DVD burn on my computer, and only want it on the DVD so I can have a backup and to watch it only on my computer I do a DATA copy of the files.

That will normally go pretty fast depending on the size of the files.

However, and I am not familar with it on Nero, there are software options on some programs that takes MUCH longer to convert it first and then burn it to the DVD so it can play on a stand alone DVD player aka one hooked up to your TV.

In that case I think it plays all of the files in actual time while converting before it burns.

Not sure if that is what is happening in your case but if it took that long it may be. I say this because even the slowest DVD burners should be faster than that on a data copy.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I could be wrong but I imagine you used an option that will make it playable on a stand alone DVD player.

Normally if I am doing a DVD burn on my computer, and only want it on the DVD so I can have a backup and to watch it only on my computer I do a DATA copy of the files.

That will normally go pretty fast depending on the size of the files.

However, and I am not familar with it on Nero, there are software options on some programs that takes MUCH longer to convert it first and then burn it to the DVD so it can play on a stand alone DVD player aka one hooked up to your TV.

In that case I think it plays all of the files in actual time while converting before it burns.

Not sure if that is what is happening in your case but if it took that long it may be. I say this because even the slowest DVD burners should be faster than that on a data copy.
DVDs have 2 formats, NTSC and PAL. NTSC is for North America and PAL is everyone else. You can play PAL DVDs on your PC because the players are made to convert either format, however a DVD player made for NTSC wouldn't play a PAL-formatted DVD. There's software out there that states it can convert PAL to NTSC but so far any test subjects I've done with them have been failures (They'll play okay as long as the camera is still but as soon as it pans out or moves the picture becomes choppy). There are a few DVD players out there that'll play both formats but they're limited and pretty costly.

CowboyChris - Were you trying to burn the media as a DVD-format or were you simply burning them as data? If you burn it as data it's the same as if you were burning normal files, mp3s, etc on a cd (Only now you're doing it to a DVD). I also have a 16x and it normally takes 5-10 minutes to burn.

- Now, if you're burning it as a DVD-format than here's where the length comes from. Nero (Or any other software) has to encode the files to where it can play on a DVD format (DVD format is encrypted with css), assuming you're using the full DVD space this normally takes 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours. Assuming you picked this mode: 2 hours to encode, 5-10 minutes to burn.

Try this next time Start, Programs, Nero, Data, Nero Express (Then when it comes up - Data, Data DVD. Add your files then burn). It won't play on your DVD player but will work on a PC. Hope this helps...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
DVDs have 2 formats, NTSC and PAL. NTSC is for North America and PAL is everyone else. You can play PAL DVDs on your PC because the players are made to convert either format, however a DVD player made for NTSC wouldn't play a PAL-formatted DVD. There's software out there that states it can convert PAL to NTSC but so far any test subjects I've done with them have been failures (They'll play okay as long as the camera is still but as soon as it pans out or moves the picture becomes choppy). There are a few DVD players out there that'll play both formats but they're limited and pretty costly.

CowboyChris - Were you trying to burn the media as a DVD-format or were you simply burning them as data? If you burn it as data it's the same as if you were burning normal files, mp3s, etc on a cd (Only now you're doing it to a DVD). I also have a 16x and it normally takes 5-10 minutes to burn.

- Now, if you're burning it as a DVD-format than here's where the length comes from. Nero (Or any other software) has to encode the files to where it can play on a DVD format (DVD format is encrypted with css), assuming you're using the full DVD space this normally takes 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours. Assuming you picked this mode: 2 hours to encode, 5-10 minutes to burn.

Try this next time Start, Programs, Nero, Data, Nero Express (Then when it comes up - Data, Data DVD. Add your files then burn). It won't play on your DVD player but will work on a PC. Hope this helps...

I have been able to convert pal to nornal dvd format

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
What software did you use and does it flicker when the camera pans out?