Anyone ever missed a court date?

Clutch

Reaction score
My license still has my parents address and they just called me tonight saying I missed my court date today for a speeding ticket. Has anyone ever missed a court date? I've read online anywhere from just coming in and paying the ticket.. or come in, pay to get the warrant for your arrest off then pay the ticket... all the way to they take you into jail, no questions asked. What should I expect when I call in tomorrow 8am?

links18

Reaction score
Clutch;3427560 said:
My license still has my parents address and they just called me tonight saying I missed my court date today for a speeding ticket. Has anyone ever missed a court date? I've read online anywhere from just coming in and paying the ticket.. or come in, pay to get the warrant for your arrest off then pay the ticket... all the way to they take you into jail, no questions asked. What should I expect when I call in tomorrow 8am?

It's Texas. You're going to jail. :bow:

Actually, if its a non-jailable offense, they probably just suspended you're DL until you either pay the ticket or set-up another court date. Missing court is technically a separate offense of contempt of court.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
If you pay the fine, you'll be okay. But a bench warrant for your arrest has likely been issued for being held in contempt of court.

Just work with them. You might have an additional fee or fine but you should be okay.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Call them ASAP and let them know why you missed it. Usually missing a court date results in a warrant for your arrest, even for something like a speeding ticket, so next time you get pulled over you get the inconvenience of being arrested, your car towed and having to pay bail.

If you call they'll set a new date and no warrant. At least that's how it works in Jersey.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Call the Judge Now ---Its probably to late and an additional Failure to appear warrant has been issued. If you get stopped or arrested during office hours ,you may be taken to the judge.
If you get arrested after hours you go to jail. Plus you have just turned a speeding ticket into an additional large fine.

Next time talk to the judge and take care of it in the amount of time required(you know when you sign the ticket how much time you have ) --its much cheaper.

Again the quicker you call the better

Clutch

Reaction score
Answering service says they open at 7:30am. I've been calling since then.. it's now 7:53am and still no answer.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Clutch;3427661 said:
Answering service says they open at 7:30am. I've been calling since then.. it's now 7:53am and still no answer.

Keep calling

Clutch

Reaction score
Got a hold of them at 8am. I've been on hold for 20 min now..

Clutch

Reaction score
The best possible situation happened today. After being on hold for twenty five minutes a lady told me to come in to the municipal court and I need to see the judge right now. So, naturally I'm thinking "oh ****". I get in and walk up to the front desk and talk to a lady and she says my court date didn't get to me the first mail out, second one got to me too late so it's on their fault. So, I paid the speeding ticket with no other fines and I'm completely done. Couldn't have gone better.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Clutch;3427969 said:
The best possible situation happened today. After being on hold for twenty five minutes a lady told me to come in to the municipal court and I need to see the judge right now. So, naturally I'm thinking "oh ****". I get in and walk up to the front desk and talk to a lady and she says my court date didn't get to me the first mail out, second one got to me too late so it's on their fault. So, I paid the speeding ticket with no other fines and I'm completely done. Couldn't have gone better.

You where lucky --a failure to appear could have costed you several hundred.....Always check -don't wait on them --its not fun to get pulled over on a Fri night and have to make bond or sit in jail until Mon. Always cheaper to make sure you take care of it in 10 days

Clutch

Reaction score
Actually missed court date twice since they never got the letter to me. I would have been screwed like no other.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
You can work it out with the county. Probably will have to pay the fine in addition to a court cost, unless you plan on fighting the ticket. You may need to get a lawyer for that though, so that they'll take you more seriously.

edit: I should have read further. Good deal.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clutch;3427969 said:
So, I paid the speeding ticket with no other fines and I'm completely done. Couldn't have gone better.
Except you still have to sell your TV.