Anyone Ever "Name Your Price" With Priceline?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I always thought it was sham advertising.

Then I gave it a shot today.

Had a few unforeseen issues pop up and needed a hotel on short notice. Prices were pretty damn crazy.

I had downloaded the Priceline iPhone app the other day and while waiting around I gave it a shot.

Scored a pretty sweet room at a price that is almost 1/3 of what is advertised on other sites like Kayak, Orbitz and 1/2 of the Hotels.com price.

Anyone else tried it?

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3478808 said:

Had a few unforeseen issues pop up and needed a hotel on short notice. Prices were pretty damn crazy.

I had downloaded the Priceline iPhone app the other day and while waiting around I gave it a shot.

Scored a pretty sweet room at a price that is almost 1/3 of what is advertised on other sites like Kayak, Orbitz and 1/2 of the Hotels.com price.

Anyone else tried it?

Yeah, there's a website called betterbidding that is a forum where people posts their successes and failures on priceline, and also tells you what the hotels on hotwire are based on their amenities/etc. I like it.

For Priceline, it gives you a lot of great tips for re-bidding (i.e. bid on 4* hotels, and so you can get free re-bids if you know zones that don't have higher than 3 1/2* for example).

I like Orbitz because I can generally get $40-75 off their combo flight/hotels deal. I just got 4 nights in SF in a 3* Union Square hotel for $588 (including flight from Nashville) right around Thanksgiving.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3478884 said:
Yeah, there's a website called betterbidding that is a forum where people posts their successes and failures on priceline, and also tells you what the hotels on hotwire are based on their amenities/etc. I like it.

For Priceline, it gives you a lot of great tips for re-bidding (i.e. bid on 4* hotels, and so you can get free re-bids if you know zones that don't have higher than 3 1/2* for example).

I like Orbitz because I can generally get $40-75 off their combo flight/hotels deal. I just got 4 nights in SF in a 3* Union Square hotel for $588 (including flight from Nashville) right around Thanksgiving.

Believe this woman. Her prowess at finding deals is legendary.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3478808 said:

Anyone else tried it?

I've always been a bit leary of "name your price"...

I've never done it, but I have family that has with good results...

If you have flexibility, it seems a good way to go...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I use them for car rentals, but when using them for hotel rooms sometimes it doesn't workout so well. Many times you end up getting the worst rooms in the hotel. (smoking rooms, room next to an elevator, wheel chair accessible room, etc)

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
nyc;3479216 said:
I use them for car rentals, but when using them for hotel rooms sometimes it doesn't workout so well. Many times you end up getting the worst rooms in the hotel. (smoking rooms, room next to an elevator, wheel chair accessible room, etc)

Rooms with dead hooker stains...

I hear ya.:D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3479372 said:
Rooms with dead hooker stains...

I hear ya.:D
yeah, I only access cars with dead hooker stains. :laugh2: