Anyone ever taken Amtrak?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've only ever ridden on trains in Europe. In the US, as you know, you usually either fly or drive. I did take a few Greyhound buses. I hear Amtrak is actually quite nice and might be a great way to see the country. It's not fast like trains in Europe, but it's supposed to be quite comfortable. The existing track just doesn't lend itself to fast speeds without being dangerous. But it might still be fun to take a train across several states. You could take it easy and not have to drive.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I hear positive things as well but never tried it. I did however take The NJ transit from Princeton to NY City a couple times, beats driving in that east coast mess...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but don't take it on an empty stomach or operate heavy machinery.....like a locomotive.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've taken it form New York to Philly and New York to Washington DC. (and vise versa)

They offer WiFi, but don't expect to stream videos. I highly recommend you download enough content onto your device before you leave if that is your intention!

jsb357

Reaction score
No Amtrak but I did a 4 hour express first class in the Czech Republic this summer and it was really nice.

First class included light meals, champagne, wine, beer, wi-fi, charging stations, and big comfy seats.

Really nice compared to 2nd class and not that much more.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to take the Metroliner between NY-PHL quite a biy and loved it and then took it from NY to Bridgeport. White glove service and top shelf liquor and seats big enough for 47 of the Kama Sutra positions. Loved the trains and if you want to sleep like a baby, hop on and crank that seat back and let the rails rock you to sleep. The liquor and 14 of the positions help with the snooze.