Anyone ever visited/lived in Portland, OR?

brymatt94

Reaction score
I am looking into going to school in Portland and was trying to find a pulse on the city. I've heard good things about it but if anyone has first hand experience there I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I know every place has its pros and cons, so I'm just trying to find a good fit.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
If you like music, riding bicycles, hipsters, and smoking weed you'll have a good time. Definitely a good spot for college I would assume. Check out the TV show Portlandia, it's funny.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I am looking into going to school in Portland and was trying to find a pulse on the city. I've heard good things about it but if anyone has first hand experience there I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I know every place has its pros and cons, so I'm just trying to find a good fit.

portlandoregon.gov (didn't want to add a link, so just put the www in front here)

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What RR said, it is a pretty cool city. It is close to the coast, Seattle, the Dalles, etc with lots of volcanoes around. It does rain a lot with lots of nature to explore. The traffic can be a mess, it seems they are bass ackwards when it comes to roads/highways.

I don't think I could settle down there but a few years would be a good experience while ya get through school.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
While an interesting place to visit, you won't want to settle down there if you're a Texan -- too wet, not enough sun, and the people aren't gregarious like Texans. Many folks are organic purists, which means no deodorant. Some of the ladies don't shave their pits or legs. Sounds a bit European, except they smoke weed instead of cigarettes.

Good seafood and forests and fishing. Bad air travel issues due to constant diversions from fog.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Beautiful area - cooler/wetter/greener than Dallas. More liberal society. In addition to being in a town the Mavericks visit, you're about 3 hrs from the parks in Seattle when the Cowboys/Rangers visit.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Beautiful area - cooler/wetter/greener than Dallas. More liberal society. In addition to being in a town the Mavericks visit, you're about 3 hrs from the parks in Seattle when the Cowboys/Rangers visit.

There are reasonably priced train tickets from Portland to Seattle, too.

Portland and Oregon in general is a great place to visit.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
While an interesting place to visit, you won't want to settle down there if you're a Texan -- too wet, not enough sun, and the people aren't gregarious like Texans. Many folks are organic purists, which means no deodorant. Some of the ladies don't shave their pits or legs. Sounds a bit European, except they smoke weed instead of cigarettes.

Good seafood and forests and fishing. Bad air travel issues due to constant diversions from fog.

lol. I can say the same for some women in parts of Texas.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
There's one college town that comes to mind..................

mhu-logo.png

7-Lamborghini-LP560-Trailerpark.jpg

brymatt94

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the insight! Is the use of bikes really that prominent? And is the "hipster" tag exaggerated?

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the insight! Is the use of bikes really that prominent? And is the "hipster" tag exaggerated?

It's just a very popular cycling town. I mean, you obviously don't have to bike anywhere but it's very popular there.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/bicyclings-top-50

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/outdoors-and-adventure/articles/top-10-cycling-cities-in-us

Anywhere you look you will find Portland near the top of US cycling cities.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I know one kid from Portland....he was a huge hipster and an even bigger ****** lol

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Depends on the neighborhood.

Definitely a nice place to go to college, though. The girls there are pretty and friendly. The weather and scenery is even better.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

I live in Portland, OR. Have lived all over the country and outside the US and it is one of my favorite places. I love the West Coast in general. There are some things that take getting used to. Specifically the rain. People do not really exaggerate how much it does rain. I think it averages around 90 days per year of sunshine. Get outside of the Willamette Valley though and the number of sunny days drastically increases. Bend, OR for example is one of the sunniest places in the US. Let me know if you have any questions.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

What you say has some truth to it but it rather exaggerated. There are definitely woman like you describe but it is not like the majority are like that.

FWIW I have flown in and out of PDX several times and have not had to deal with fog. Not saying it does not happen but personally never an issue.

In Washington you can grow your own weed :)

brymatt94

Reaction score
I live in Portland, OR. Have lived all over the country and outside the US and it is one of my favorite places. I love the West Coast in general. There are some things that take getting used to. Specifically the rain. People do not really exaggerate how much it does rain. I think it averages around 90 days per year of sunshine. Get outside of the Willamette Valley though and the number of sunny days drastically increases. Bend, OR for example is one of the sunniest places in the US. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much for all the info! I greatly appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind, I might PM you if that's okay with some questions.