Anyone Gonna Deep Fry A Turkey?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have in the past but don't have the equipment. I'm contemplating getting a setup but not sure.

Anyone who has or is, what do you use? Propane? Electric?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Every year. There's no other way to do it.

You can get a propane fryer for like $40.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My mom fried a turkey once. Juiciest turkey ever. I'll call her tomorrow and ask her what she used.

She fried it outside on the back porch.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Nope. We don't ever do it. I've had it once, it was ok, but I like it better the traditional way.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has done it twice. The first time it came out awesome. Not so much on the second try.

I'm so broke right now I doubt we'll even celebrate thanksgiving this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
My nephew Ben is the designated turkey cooker in my wife's family. He doesn't deep fry or cook it the traditional way in the oven. He cooks the turkeys in a pit and smokes them. Every year he uses a different kind of wood. We've had mesquite, hickory, and apple wood smoked turkeys. I am salivating wondering what he will do this year. Not sure how many more woods are good for smoking. The apple wood smoked turkey was the best so far.

Route 66

Reaction score
What a coincidence I read this thread today since the wife asked about doing this very thing this Thanksgiving last evening. I haven't done it so I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone know a good overall recipe and how-to in doing this? I guess I could Google it but would rather hear something from the forum here. I would also have to buy a deep fryer for the outside I presume to house a 20lb turkey or so.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2410403 said:
My nephew Ben is the designated turkey cooker in my wife's family. He doesn't deep fry or cook it the traditional way in the oven. He cooks the turkeys in a pit and smokes them. Every year he uses a different kind of wood. We've had mesquite, hickory, and apple wood smoked turkeys. I am salivating wondering what he will do this year. Not sure how many more woods are good for smoking. The apple wood smoked turkey was the best so far.
My mom traditionally smokes her turkeys on the pit. Don't ask me what wood she uses. Her and my brother typically do that stuff.

She fried it the one time, which everybody liked. But she went back to doing it the traditional way since then.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2410207 said:
My brother-in-law has done it twice. The first time it came out awesome. Not so much on the second try.

I'm so broke right now I doubt we'll even celebrate thanksgiving this year.
I've been that broke before where I couldn't go visit my family. So my mom came to see me. I fixed smothered chicken and dressing. We also had a Mrs. Smith's dutch apple pie.

Other times, I've just gone over friend's house. Thanksgiving is about the people your with and not the food you eat.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fried Turkey = best turkey ever

Also pumpkin pudding pie made by jello is great too.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hostile;2410403 said:

White and Red Oak are commonly used woods for smoking, but for poultry or Lamb, Apple, Alder, and Cherry are crucial. I tried a pan full of soaked mint on my last leg of Lamb, and it was amazing. Smoking meat let's you get pretty creative.

Anyone seen or used one of those infrared turkey fryers that Lowe's is pimping these days? I'd be interested in the results. Not having to buy and clean up all of that oil would be pretty sweet if the resulting product is comparable. If it's as easy as they claim, I'd be cooking meat in that puppy all the time.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
How do you guys prep the bird prior to frying?

I saw a video somewhere that had a guy who threw the thing in a brine for like 12 hours and then fried it.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Rackat

Reaction score
tomson75;2411165 said:
Anyone seen or used one of those infrared turkey fryers that Lowe's is pimping these days? I'd be interested in the results. Not having to buy and clean up all of that oil would be pretty sweet if the resulting product is comparable. If it's as easy as they claim, I'd be cooking meat in that puppy all the time.
That thing looks pretty cool. I may take a trip to Lowe's.

I season my turkey the day before. Mix all the spices, inject the bird, then use whatever is leftover from the spice mix to use as a rub. I cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnite, then cook it the next day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
the kit is cheap and a deep fried bird is amazing (although I've smoked them before and that was great too).

a word of caution though. Those deep fry kits are a bit flimsy, you could easily knock it over. That's a whole lot of hot oil so be sure to keep kids and pets far away from the action and ... now this is the hard part ... don't drink while deep frying.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2417732 said:
the kit is cheap and a deep fried bird is amazing (although I've smoked them before and that was great too).

a word of caution though. Those deep fry kits are a bit flimsy, you could easily knock it over. That's a whole lot of hot oil so be sure to keep kids and pets far away from the action and ... now this is the hard part ... don't drink while deep frying.
Also a good idea to work out the displacement level beforehand. Meaning, determine (with water) beforehand how much oil you need to put in with the bird you're frying so it doesn't overflow.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rackat;2417480 said:
That thing looks pretty cool. I may take a trip to Lowe's.

I season my turkey the day before. Mix all the spices, inject the bird, then use whatever is leftover from the spice mix to use as a rub. I cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnite, then cook it the next day.

Nice. I would think soaking it in a brine solution overnight after you've injected it would be pretty crucial too. If you end up trying one of those infrared jobbies, let us know how it works. Inquiring minds want to know.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;2417769 said:
Also a good idea to work out the displacement level beforehand. Meaning, determine (with water) beforehand how much oil you need to put in with the bird you're frying so it doesn't overflow.

Yep. I remember the first year that these became popular, there were a ton of people that neglected to do this and ended up burning their houses down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I fry one every year. I inject my bird and then soak it in butter milk over nite.

Wrap the thing in platic bags and submerge it in the fryer to mark your oil. Be sure to hand pat it down to remove all moisture before drop. Otherwise, hot oil all over everything. Be sure to use a decent peanut oil.

Comes out great every single time. Mother-in-law and wife hate me every year but they sure do eat up a lot of that turkey.

:)