Anyone have a fav MP3 player?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone handles playing my music via bluetooth in my car, but I'm thinking of having an MP3 player take over the duties. I used to use a Sandisk MP3 player that drove me nuts. You would go to drive home and the MP3 player would decide suddenly that it has to refresh all its music. It would take something like 20 minutes to finish that and then finally when you're 2 minutes away from home you could start playing your music. It defeated the purpose of having an MP3 player. It would also suddenly freeze up and you had no way to hard reboot it other than letting the battery die. The Sandisk finally died and I never bothered to replace it. I just started using my phone. But my phone is a bit old and it seems overburdened (and I may replace it at some point), but I might want to just let a really good MP3 player take over the music playing duties. I'll do that, IF it can be a way better device than that Sandisk piece of junk. I just want to be able to listen to whatever music or language lessons I want when I want to and not have to wait for these annoying refreshes or crashes. Would be good if it supports bluetooth, though I guess I could get by without that.

Edit: I also hope it can play OGG files.

jsb357

Reaction score
For times when I want to hop on the mower or tractor I bought a set of generic
over the ear headphones with a SD card based mp3 player built in so I would not have
to tote the phone along..

It recharges through USB and the sound is pretty decent for the price, approx
$40 shipped and keeps the motor noise to an acceptable minimum.

Only had it a few months but works as intended.

I wish I could say that about all my Fleabay purchases.

:)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have an iPod on a sound dock and an iPod Touch that has Bluetooth but find myself using my iPhone with Apple Music with a Bluetooth speaker almost all the time and always in my car. I dumped Sirius/XM and am strictly Apple Music and I am impressed with the depth of their library. I have family and friends that use Spotify because they don't like Apple but I hate facebook more than Apple.

I use AAC files on the mp3 players and that reduces some of the compression but it is still not as good as the original CD. I was buying CD's at about 8 a month but Apple Music stopped me from doing that and I get that for the price of 1 CD. I recommend that unless you have an aversion to Apple.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I use Sirius/XM in my car, and downloaded the app, so I can use it in my truck while I work, through the auxiliary jack in the radio. I also have Pandora, but the library is so limited, I hear the same songs every day. I can do better than that with my CDs.

The weird thing is that I have several areas withing a couple miles of my house where I lose the signal for XM in my car radio, but my phone doesn't lose the signal in those same places.

So in summary, to answer your question....I don't know......or 7.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do they even making MP3 players anymore?
Yes, Apple still makes iPods. But it would not surprise me for them to discontinue the Classic and just do the Touch because anything that's not Bluetooth and able to stream is limited and antiquated.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I use Sirius/XM in my car, and downloaded the app, so I can use it in my truck while I work, through the auxiliary jack in the radio. I also have Pandora, but the library is so limited, I hear the same songs every day. I can do better than that with my CDs.

The weird thing is that I have several areas withing a couple miles of my house where I lose the signal for XM in my car radio, but my phone doesn't lose the signal in those same places.

So in summary, to answer your question....I don't know......or 7.

So to sum things up ... you do not use an MP3 player??

lukin2006

Reaction score
I have an iPod touch and iPod nano. I also have Sirius in my my jeep...

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Do they even making MP3 players anymore?

This. I was about to state that the standalone MP3 player is pretty much dead. I know Apple just axed a few of their models and they were the last major player in that market. I believe the iPod Touch is the only one they market on their website.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes, Apple still makes iPods. But it would not surprise me for them to discontinue the Classic and just do the Touch because anything that's not Bluetooth and able to stream is limited and antiquated.

I think the Classic has been discontinued already...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you get a new phone... Factory reset your note 4 and just add your favorite player on it, whether that be stock player or something like power Amp.

That way the phone will not be burdened by all additional programs including any cloud programs.

Basically just turn your old phone into a mp3 player.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
l have an older version of this: Sony NWE395/B 16GB Walkman MP3 Player

My wife gave me a Sony MP3 player for my birthday 6 years ago and I love it!

Use it every day in a variety of conditions. When it eventually craps out I'll be getting another. Easy to use and a snap to download files into.