Anyone here ever had an MRI?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I have comforted my wife several times while she was given an MRI. I never thought much about it just being there and telling her she could do it. When my Heart Dr told me he wanted me to get a Heart MRI, I thought nothing about it. I showed up yesterday for the test and got all strapped in. I got my head phones on with Elton John playing. The nurse told me I would be in there about two hours. Again, thought nothing about it. They started me moving me into the tube, I opened my eyes and went into a full panic. Heart racing, sweating, nervous as anything and immediately pushed the button to get me out of there. I told them No way. Aint happening.

My wife wants me to take a medication but just the thought of it now sends me into heart palpitations. Two hours? Not going to happen.

Any claustrophobic people ever have to deal with this? Wife is not taking no for an answer and I just cant handle the thought now much less the actual MRI.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elton John? Lol.

I'm claustrophobic and have had 1. Almost drove me crazy. Worse than flying in a airplane with super small seats.

John813

Reaction score
I've had a bunch.

Worst one was a CINE MRI which measures the CSF flow in and out of the brain. 90-120 minutes of laying there listening to staticky music.
Handful for other body parts due to sports/dirtbike injuries.

Prefer a MRI over CT, but that's just due to radiation.

Creeper

Reaction score
I had one on my lower abdomen a long time ago. I do not recall any discomfort. I actually barely remember the entire procedure. Like I said it was a long time ago and my long term memory is pretty bad.

I have had multiple CT scans as well. I don't like sitting still for that long but I can deal with it. I also had the heart scan with the radioactive substance they put in you.

I always come out of those things thinking how lucky I am to be alive today with all this advanced technology they can use to prescribe me another medication to take!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pop a couple of Ativans about an hour before going in. I am not condoning this next part but chase them with an ice cold beer :grin:

Plankton

Reaction score
Have had multiple - for my brain, heart, knees and back. Just close your eyes and relax as much as you can, and you will be able to get through it. Yes, the enclosure can be a bit snug, but if you treat it like you are sleeping, it won't be as stressful for you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been in a couple of the MRI coffins. At first I just shut my eyes and it didn't bother me, but when I went in for my neck it was pretty crappy. Of course, laying still on my back with no pillow was really painful for my neck too. Then they pull me out after 45 minutes and say, "Oh wait, we were supposed to inject you with baryon. We'll have to do it again."

"No, you'll deal with the images you get from this. I'm not doing that again."

The last time I got an MRI, it was what's called an "open MRI", which is so much less cramped. Ask if you can do that next time.

nobody

Reaction score
I had one a couple of months ago. It was kind of weird. The breathing in and breathing out commands were irritating because I had a cough and was trying hard to hold still and not cough.

I'm not a claustrophobic person, but it did feel a little cramped. If there wasn't a cool breeze coming through it and I was breathing warmer stale air I would have probably started to get really uncomfortable.

Really it's just about closing your eyes and trying to relax I think. Imagine you're in a 1-man tent not able to fall asleep at a noisy campsite.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had one a couple of months ago. It was kind of weird. The breathing in and breathing out commands were irritating because I had a cough and was trying hard to hold still and not cough.

I'm not a claustrophobic person, but it did feel a little cramped. If there wasn't a cool breeze coming through it and I was breathing warmer stale air I would have probably started to get really uncomfortable.

Really it's just about closing your eyes and trying to relax I think. Imagine you're in a 1-man tent not able to fall asleep at a noisy campsite.
The cool air helps, but it's so noticeable, you start to think, "What if the air stops flowing?" lol

timb2

Reaction score
I had one for my back. Doctor wanted to give me a shot to kill a nerve in my back. I refused because I felt it could not be good overall.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I lacerated a kidney while snowboarding when I was 15. Right before I had the MRI, they put something in my I.V. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure it was morphine. It was one of the best feelings I have ever felt. I felt it slowly run through every part of my body, and I can't describe the feeling.

I would suggest asking for morphine. The MRI was a breeze.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I have comforted my wife several times while she was given an MRI. I never thought much about it just being there and telling her she could do it. When my Heart Dr told me he wanted me to get a Heart MRI, I thought nothing about it. I showed up yesterday for the test and got all strapped in. I got my head phones on with Elton John playing. The nurse told me I would be in there about two hours. Again, thought nothing about it. They started me moving me into the tube, I opened my eyes and went into a full panic. Heart racing, sweating, nervous as anything and immediately pushed the button to get me out of there. I told them No way. Aint happening.

My wife wants me to take a medication but just the thought of it now sends me into heart palpitations. Two hours? Not going to happen.

Any claustrophobic people ever have to deal with this? Wife is not taking no for an answer and I just cant handle the thought now much less the actual MRI.
I’ve had 2. Just mind over matter. Just close your eyes and listen to an audio book.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Nothing two Valium won't cure. Just enjoy the ride afterwards it took me 45 minutes to eat the best salad I've ever had.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've had a few. Everything from looking at my brain, shoulder and leg. I'm not claustrophobic so it's almost a calming experience for me. I generally fall asleep during the procedure; especially when its looking at my brain. I can understand if you are claustrophobic because it can feel as if you're in a coffin.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let your doctor know how you feel, and ask if there's an open MRI available and if it would work for the intended purpose. Unfortunately, open MRIs can't be used in every case.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I’ve had 2. Just mind over matter. Just close your eyes and listen to an audio book.
I would always say that to my wife when she had one. Now, two days later just the thought gets me incredibly anxious. Never thought I would be that one. I think I could handle a few minutes. But two hours, Wow. Just call Dr Kevorkian. I would be better off.