Anyone here use a Chromebook?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
My wife bought me a Toshiba Chromebook 2. The screen is amazing, and the specs are pretty good for $329. The OS is built on the Chrome browser, so it is pretty limited, which is a good thing for surfing the web. I installed Crouton, which allows you to run a Linux OS side by side, which you can switch to with a few button presses. Linux picks up the slack when I need to do something more complex.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Yeah I've got a Toshiba chromebook also. It's been a great purchase - had it for about 6 months.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
My wife bought me a Toshiba Chromebook 2. The screen is amazing, and the specs are pretty good for $329. The OS is built on the Chrome browser, so it is pretty limited, which is a good thing for surfing the web. I installed Crouton, which allows you to run a Linux OS side by side, which you can switch to with a few button presses. Linux picks up the slack when I need to do something more complex.

They suck.

Sorry....I had a temporary out of body experience.

Seriously... I don't see the purpose of these. Every computer has web browsing capability. Why buy this?

Complete laptops with i3 can e had for comparable prices.

Buy or sell. I would sell.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They suck.

Sorry....I had a temporary out of body experience.

Seriously... I don't see the purpose of these. Every computer has web browsing capability. Why buy this?

Complete laptops with i3 can e had for comparable prices.

Buy or sell. I would sell.

You can't get a comparable screen and build quality for $330. Most chromebooks have an SSD, as well. Not even close.

Even if you just stay in Chrome OS, it is infinitely more stable and secure than a Windows installation. Boot time is about 2 seconds.

There are also other benefits, like mine is completely silent, with no fans, and is about 1/3 of the weight of my old laptop.

Battery life is also a lot better. I get 6-8 hours of full use between charges.

Linux does everyone I need if I need to do something else, as it's a full blown OK. Even still, I stay in Chrome OS 90% of the time.