Anyone here use Start10 with Windows 10?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I upgraded at home from Win7 when support stopped. Been using Win10 at work for over a year and I still do not like. Humble Bundle has a best of Stardock software that includes the Start10 software. The idea of bringing back the Win7 looking Start menu is interesting. Didn't know if anyone here has used it.

Was also looking at Classic Shell/Open Shell.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Most people over the age of say 30-35 generally don't like change.

Hated Win7 when I was still on WinXP, hated Win10 when I was still on Win7. This trend will continue.

That said, I would not go back to WinXP nor Win7 at this point. (even though Win10 makes it harder to do some stuff)

The point that I'm bringing up is, it's better to just move along with the change, because down the road. That FORCED change is going to be much harder if you don't get the in-between out of the way now.

Or you could just move to Linux. They have desktop look and feel that are very similar or very different depending on the desktop you use.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Most people over the age of say 30-35 generally don't like change.

Hated Win7 when I was still on WinXP, hated Win10 when I was still on Win7. This trend will continue.

That said, I would not go back to WinXP nor Win7 at this point. (even though Win10 makes it harder to do some stuff)

The point that I'm bringing up is, it's better to just move along with the change, because down the road. That FORCED change is going to be much harder if you don't get the in-between out of the way now.

Or you could just move to Linux. They have desktop look and feel that are very similar or very different depending on the desktop you use.

Though I am on the back 9 of my 40's I don't think I dislike change too much. But yeah I dislike this change. :D

I thought about dual booting with Ubuntu or Elementary. But I probably would still use Windows most of the time.

nobody

Reaction score
What I don't like is how Microsoft tends to make some basic things harder just because they decided that they know what we want rather than listening to what we actually want. Many of the changes from 7 to 10 were positive, but some were just head-scratchingly stupid.

"You didn't like this optional thing before? Well, it's mandatory now and you WILL like it. SUFFER!" Is basically their mantra.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
"You didn't like this optional thing before? Well, it's mandatory now and you WILL like it. SUFFER!" Is basically their mantra.
I see you hate the forced Windows update / reboot too. lol

My primary desktop, I broke that entire system. Now I have to manually update the system. It won't auto-update anymore. I don't recall exactly how I broke it, but it was intentional hah. I'm pretty sure I striped some stuff out of the registry and turned off a service.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I upgraded at home from Win7 when support stopped. Been using Win10 at work for over a year and I still do not like. Humble Bundle has a best of Stardock software that includes the Start10 software. The idea of bringing back the Win7 looking Start menu is interesting. Didn't know if anyone here has used it.

I have used Open Shell (replaced Classic Shell) on my windows machines since the moment I moved from Windows 7.

Unless Microsoft reverts to that type of start menu, I don't see me using the Windows 10 default start menu.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see you hate the forced Windows update / reboot too. lol

My primary desktop, I broke that entire system. Now I have to manually update the system. It won't auto-update anymore. I don't recall exactly how I broke it, but it was intentional hah. I'm pretty sure I striped some stuff out of the registry and turned off a service.
I used to disable the Windows Update service in Services but Microsoft started overriding it on boot.

Fortunately, I found another method. You just need to set your network connection as "Metered" and disable updates while on metered network connections.

It is just a flag and has no impact on network performance. It tells Windows you are being billed for your data usage so it does not download updates automatically.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I embrace and welcome change but I am not giving up my floppies.

Actually, I am just resigned to whatever they're going to do. I don't like my IPhone11 Pro Max and "improvement" is in the eye of the user. I am thankful for those folks that do the hidden gems videos when the new phones come out or updates. They're a hell of a lot more helpful than the companies.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I used to disable the Windows Update services in Services but Microsoft started overriding it on boot.

Fortunately, I found another method. You just need to set your network connection as "Metered" and disable updates while on metered network connections.

It is just a flag and has no impact on network performance. It tells Windows you are being billed for your data usage so it does not download updates automatically.
If I recall properly, I did disable the windows update service, but I think I also removed a registry item that loaded the service all together hah.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I actually love Windows 10. It's pretty easy and straightforward to me. We won't talk about Microsoft's other abominations though *cough* Windows Vista/Windows 8 *cough*.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually love Windows 10. It's pretty easy and straightforward to me. We won't talk about Microsoft's other abominations though *cough* Windows Vista/Windows 8 *cough*.
Y9INBDq.jpg

^^^ Poster from @SlammedZero 's wall growing up :D

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I embrace and welcome change but I am not giving up my floppies.

Actually, I am just resigned to whatever they're going to do. I don't like my IPhone11 Pro Max and "improvement" is in the eye of the user. I am thankful for those folks that do the hidden gems videos when the new phones come out or updates. They're a hell of a lot more helpful than the companies.
ag44LdH.jpg

^^^ Poster for @CouchCoach 's wall today :D

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I've had a license for that software since it came out and I love it. They have been very good about pushing their updates as soon as they are available and that Win7 look keeps me happy. I would recommend it if that is what you are use to.