Anyone in the Dallas area...

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Do you know anything about Baylor Medical Center? Not to give too much information.. but my kidney is failing and I will need a transplant. Baylor Medical Center is one of the hospitals I have to choose from. Anyone have any experience with them?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I haven't lived in DFW for a while, but when I was there they had an outstanding reputation as a top-flight medical facility...

I hope all goes well and my prayers are with you...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry to hear your having health troubles. Like TB, I haven't lived in the DFW area in awhile, but the Baylor Med Center in Houston is a top-flight hospital. Can't imagine the one in Dallas not being on par.

Good luck with your treatments.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and the kind words. I have always known I had kidney problems (I was born with one). I knew someday I would need a transplant, but I thought I would be alot older than 34 though!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
every member of my family that ever got really sick ended up at baylor. When I was a little stealth I got all my dentistry done at the dental college there.

baylor is a living classroom so if you can handle a bunch of snot nosed residents then it is a good place. Parkland in dallas is not well thought of by people that havent been there, but if I got really sick I think I would go to parkland since they see probably 50 times as many patients in a year as any other hospital in town. But it has the stigma of being a free clinic.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I had my choice of Baylor in Dallas, a hospital in Houston, and a hospital in San Antonio. San Antonio is a little closer to me, but I have friends in Dallas. After the transplant I will have to stay 3 weeks for them to monitor my new kidney so I can stay with friends in Dallas rather than at a hotel in San Antonio.

TEK2000

Reaction score
This doesn't pertain to the kidney treatments, etc. that Baylor offers, but it might speak to the level of doctors and staff that they have there.

On monday, my wife's friend's husband passed out on the floor. Obviously the ambulance came and took him to the nearest hospital (one in Mesquite.. just outside of Dallas). His symptoms upon awaking were something like that he couldn't talk, couldn't swallow, couldn't eat and some other things. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with him.. they guessed that it might be a stroke, heart problems, throat problems, etc etc. They even treated him with medicine they give people that have been exposed to Nerve Gas. So, after three days of testing and monitoring him, they were still unable to diagnose him. His wife requested a transfer to Baylor and the doctors or hospital stalled. His wife then became fed up, told them to take out his IV immediately and put him in her car and went to Baylor.

Within 3 hours at Baylor they had diagnosed him with having a Brain Tumor at the base of his brain that was pushing against his throat and affecting his speech/swallowing etc.

I, for one, have a new found respect for Baylor Hospital after hearing about this incident.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks so much for telling me that! Hearing personal stories such as that one really helps put my mind at ease!
I hope your wife's friend's husband is okay now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
28bringinthewood;1132202 said:
Do you know anything about Baylor Medical Center? Not to give too much information.. but my kidney is failing and I will need a transplant. Baylor Medical Center is one of the hospitals I have to choose from. Anyone have any experience with them?
When will the transplant be, or are you on a list and have to carry the pager, etc.?

Please make sure to keep us informed. Most college hospitals are very top notch.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
I am filling out all the paper to "apply" to be a candidate for transplant at Baylor (Baylor in Dallas and Baylor All Saints in Ft. Worth). My nephrologist tells me I should be a good candidate since I am young and otherwise in good health. I am in the early stages of preparing for transplant at this point. I am in Stage 4 kidney failure.... my kidney is working at 19% (at 20% you can be put on the transplant list). I know I will be having to go to Baylor for a "pre-evaluation" too... I am hoping that my husband and I can make a Cowboys game while we are there :D I know it will be a pretty stressful trip so I might as well add some fun!

I do have 7 people who are going to get tested to see if they are a match for me. If they are not, then I could be on the list for a while.... from what I understand the average wait time for a kidney is over 3 years.