Anyone interested in wood working?

Hoofbite

Reaction score

cowboyec

Reaction score
i do wood knocks on bigfoot hunts...thats as close as it gets for me to wood working.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I recently turned 50 and decided to play with wood working. Now I've bought a jointer and planer and drill press and a lathe. I have a problem.

Who here does woodworking?
I don't do woodworking, but I drive for a lumber company, so I go to a lot of shops. What's the problem, on the off chance I can help?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I recently turned 50 and decided to play with wood working. Now I've bought a jointer and planer and drill press and a lathe. I have a problem.

I did a lot of wood working in my 30’s and 40’s. Mostly country art no furniture. Sold a lot of stuff at flea markets and arts and crafts shows. Lots of fun. I made some small stools and things like that but to make quality furniture you need the top of the line tools. It gets expensive. Once my kids got into sports and music I sold it all to pay for that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

It’s something I definitely want to get into. Would like to repurpose and restore older quality furniture. Can I ask how much the equipment ran you all together?

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
It’s something I definitely want to get into. Would like to repurpose and restore older quality furniture. Can I ask how much the equipment ran you all together?

There is a site that has a list of essential tools and says you can get started under $1000. https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/

I've probably spent between $2500 and $3000, but like I said, I have a lathe, drill press and other things you can get by without.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There is a site that has a list of essential tools and says you can get started under $1000. https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/

I've probably spent between $2500 and $3000, but like I said, I have a lathe, drill press and other things you can get by without.

That’s actually a lot less than I thought, especially if it’s accumulated over a few years.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Restoring and repurposing old furniture probably isn't something you need a joiner or lathe for, unless you plan on making table tops and legs and stuff.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I love wood working, but I'm genuinely just not talented enough at it.

There virtually no electrical or plumbing issue I can't troubleshoot and fix at my house, but when it comes to wood working I'm useless. I still find it fascinating.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
That’s actually a lot less than I thought, especially if it’s accumulated over a few years.

I don't have a shop, so I have to have mobile tools. I try to get used, factory blemished or more affordable brands. There are also people who do all hand tool work. I find it fascinating but not something I have patience for.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I love wood working, but I'm genuinely just not talented enough at it.

There virtually no electrical or plumbing issue I can't troubleshoot and fix at my house, but when it comes to wood working I'm useless. I still find it fascinating.

That's how I started. Just got a few things and started. There are free plans online to build a workbench.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I'm interested, but have neither the skill or tools to make it work. Watch a lot of YouTube videos on it. Couple of my favorite channels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8QCVf10-suYAeutMRqAsw

For whatever reason the video starts where I left off last time I watched it. That dude's a master craftsman. He does some really awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulSellersWoodwork

I love watching these youtube vids about how easy stuff is then they pan out and you see 50k dollars worth of tools.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I like to turn and have a really nice Powermatic 3520C lathe. But it gets so hot in Houston that I don't use it year round.

I am in Mississippi and was trying to finish a box before my mother's birthday. I had to work in the garage in 30 minute shifts with the door open and a fan on and I was still a nasty mess. That's an amazing lathe you have.

Creeper

Reaction score
I used to watch that woodworking show that spun off of this old house. I forget the guy's name. Was it Art? or something like that? Anyway. He had a half hour show where he would make some piece of furniture and it looked like a lot of fun.

But he had a barn he turned into a shop with many thousands of dollars in woodworking tools in it. I figured it wasn't worth spending $50k on tools to make a $500 table. That and I simply do not have the patience.

At the same time I love solid wood furniture made from quality woods instead of pressboard and laminates. That kind of quality furniture, not made of pine, is hard to find in the stores.