Anyone interested in wood working?

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I used to watch that woodworking show that spun off of this old house. I forget the guy's name. Was it Art? or something like that? Anyway. He had a half hour show where he would make some piece of furniture and it looked like a lot of fun.

But he had a barn he turned into a shop with many thousands of dollars in woodworking tools in it. I figured it wasn't worth spending $50k on tools to make a $500 table. That and I simply do not have the patience.

At the same time I love solid wood furniture made from quality woods instead of pressboard and laminates. That kind of quality furniture, not made of pine, is hard to find in the stores.
I think you're referring to The New Yankee Workshop with host Norm Abram...
RSgTarA.jpg
The measured designs can still be purchased here: https://newyankee.com

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Interest and desire yes...

skills... less than zero

The most I'd ever done is work a summer framing with a construction company when I was in college. I could read a tape, swing a hammer and use a circular saw. I'm not good, but I get better with every project. When I try to build something, I'll attempt to incorporate something new, so I'll improve. I'm currently building a guitar rack for my son. I looked up half-lap joints on youtube so I could attempt it.

Hardline

Reaction score
I used to watch that woodworking show that spun off of this old house. I forget the guy's name. Was it Art? or something like that? Anyway. He had a half hour show where he would make some piece of furniture and it looked like a lot of fun.

But he had a barn he turned into a shop with many thousands of dollars in woodworking tools in it. I figured it wasn't worth spending $50k on tools to make a $500 table. That and I simply do not have the patience.

At the same time I love solid wood furniture made from quality woods instead of pressboard and laminates. That kind of quality furniture, not made of pine, is hard to find in the stores.
Norm Abrams or Bob Villa

Hardline

Reaction score
I used to work in a cabinet shop.
I installed custom cabinets for Selena Gomez. Are you impressed?

jsb357

Reaction score
I could read a tape, swing a hammer and use a circular saw. I'm not good, but I get better with every project.

Hey if that's woodworking I'm good as I can build a decks, frame walls, etc,

IMO woodworking is cabinetry, trim, really detailed work with really expensive wood.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score

IMO woodworking is cabinetry, trim, really detailed work with really expensive wood.

It was in reply to your "skills... less than zero" comment. I was making the point that I had almost no exposure to anything related to it as well.

And not all of it is fancy pieces.

jsb357

Reaction score
It was in reply to your "skills... less than zero" comment. I was making the point that I had almost no exposure to anything related to it as well.

And not all of it is fancy pieces.

go to utube and search "woodworking"

no one is building decks and framing houses.

it's 99% high skill fancy pieces...

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
go to utube and search "woodworking"

no one is building decks and framing houses.

it's 99% high skill fancy pieces...

I never said it's building decks and framing houses. I searched YT for woodworking and found building simple workbenches, small boxes and cutting boards. It's almost like it's a full range of things.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It doesn't have to be expensive wood. In fact, the most intricate carvings I've ever seen were done with basswood. But I deliver a lot of pine, oak, and maple to woodworking shops. I also deliver teak, ipe, mahogany, and sepele, but much more of the cheaper wood.