Anyone know about 4k tv calibrations?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 75" samsung t.v and I'm wondering what settings people usually have set for theirs?

I'm just asking because I have mine set on the default settings and blu rays look amazing. Streaming Netflix is also decent but when I watch regular tv even HD channels it's just a disaster. Anyone have this problem?

Maybe because I had a smaller screen I didn't notice how crap direct TV HD channels are. Comments suggestions ?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
You are right the quality of the data from an HD channel is crap. Compressed, re-compressed, garbage usually.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 75" samsung t.v and I'm wondering what settings people usually have set for theirs?

I'm just asking because I have mine set on the default settings and blu rays look amazing. Streaming Netflix is also decent but when I watch regular tv even HD channels it's just a disaster. Anyone have this problem?

Maybe because I had a smaller screen I didn't notice how crap direct TV HD channels are. Comments suggestions ?

This is common, believe it or not. And I agree with Monster D. The majority of HD content is a compressed turd. I'm a certified contractor for Directv and I've had customers return their 4K t.v.s over this issue. The problem, at the moment, is that there is hardly any 4k content even available through most delivery systems (satellite/cable). The majority of it is streaming via high speed broadband (if you have buffering issues with regular HD now, don't even go near a 4k set, yet). We do provide a 4k receiver as part of the Genie system but all of the 4k content at the moment is PPV (at a whopping $15.00 per movie) via BB connection. They are starting to stream 4k content in some test areas that is not PPV with the new SWM 3 Gen 2 LNBs (currently the Phoneix metro area is one of the test DMAs). It will get better as time goes on, Unfortunately, the display technology is developing much faster than the delivery systems out there. I wouldn't discourage people from buying a 4k t.v. but I'm not buying one until the rest of the industry catches up with the display technology. No use in having a Ferrari in the garage if you never get to "open her up".

Not only that, I'm waiting until the prices round down into my range. I've got a 73" now, and I'm not downsizing my t.v. any time soon (if anything, I'll go larger). When I uprade, I upgrade. 73" to a 60" ain't happenin'.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
4k is a waste of money at this point. There are very little content providers at the moment and it will take years before the TV providers can handle that much broadband through existing infrastructure.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
4k is a waste of money at this point. There are very little content providers at the moment and it will take years before the TV providers can handle that much broadband through existing infrastructure.

Yup.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I read that 4k movies and bluray player will be available soon. I'm happy with the t.v and if I'll be able to get some movies soon the better. But yes, regular t.v and even some streaming has been a disappointment so far.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I read that 4k movies and bluray player will be available soon. I'm happy with the t.v and if I'll be able to get some movies soon the better. But yes, regular t.v and even some streaming has been a disappointment so far.

4k Blu-rays will be out at the end of the year or very early next year (definitely this year in Japan).

4k is the reason I have held out on a new receiver with Atmos. I wanted to make sure they had hdcp 2.2 and all that.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

what is causing you to think directv hd channels are crap?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

It'll come quicker than you think.

4k streaming uses 20-25mb bandwidth and uncompressed 4k needs 60mbps. Those are speeds that are in most major markets.

Further, movies are filmed in way higher resolutions than 4k...they actually have to cut quality out to get them to 4k.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It'll come quicker than you think.

4k streaming uses 20-25mb bandwidth and uncompressed 4k needs 60mbps. Those are speeds that are in most major markets.

Further, movies are filmed in way higher resolutions than 4k...they actually have to cut quality out to get them to 4k.

I'm talking about satellite and cable providers. They'll need exponential growths in infrastructure to support the even compressed 4k feeds. Netflix and Amazon have already purchased the bandwidth to supply it on demand, online.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
what is causing you to think directv hd channels are crap?

You know I think it's because I had the t.v in the standard settings and it comes with that auto motion plus feature. In blu rays it looks great with no issues but on t.v it's messy. Makes the picture look worse than it is. I tuned that feature off and it looks better.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
You know I think it's because I had the t.v in the standard settings and it comes with that auto motion plus feature. In blu rays it looks great with no issues but on t.v it's messy. Makes the picture look worse than it is. I tuned that feature off and it looks better.

Thats what I was expecting the issue to be....easily diagnosed from your first post ;)

This happens because video (tv) is recorded in 30 frames per second and film (movies) are recorded in 24 frames per second.

Depending on the model of tv you have, and its settings, often one or the other will look great and the alternate will look subpart because of how the tv is interpolating the different frame rates for display.

This is why I specifically have a plasma tv with a true 24p processor.

It displays 96hz for film content and 60hz for video content. 96 / 24 = 4. 60 / 30 = 2

For comparison, a samsung LCD will be 120hz or 240hz. This is done by just doubling or quadrupling the native tv frame rate of 60hz.

Check this out for film. 60 / 24 = 2.5....see the issue?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Thats what I was expecting the issue to be....easily diagnosed from your first post ;)

This happens because video (tv) is recorded in 30 frames per second and film (movies) are recorded in 24 frames per second.

Depending on the model of tv you have, and its settings, often one or the other will look great and the alternate will look subpart because of how the tv is interpolating the different frame rates for display.

This is why I specifically have a plasma tv with a true 24p processor.

It displays 96hz for film content and 60hz for video content. 96 / 24 = 4. 60 / 30 = 2

For comparison, a samsung LCD will be 120hz or 240hz. This is done by just doubling or quadrupling the native tv frame rate of 60hz.

Check this out for film. 60 / 24 = 2.5....see the issue?

Makes sense. You know I have to say I do like that feature for blurays. It makes movement a bit more fluid and smooth. But as far everything else I'm just going to keep it off. Definitely notice a difference and it's less stressful on the eyes. Funny you mention it, I do miss my old plasma. I never had any issues with video games or sports/ fast scenes.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Makes sense. You know I have to say I do like that feature for blurays. It makes movement a bit more fluid and smooth. But as far everything else I'm just going to keep it off. Definitely notice a difference and it's less stressful on the eyes. Funny you mention it, I do miss my old plasma. I never had any issues with video games or sports/ fast scenes.

plasmas have, for discussion purposes, no refresh rate lag, so they dont need a MEMC (motion estimation, motion compensation) processor to try and hide image lag like LCD's do.