Anyone know about humidifiers?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It's bad for my acoustic guitar if the humidity isn't at least 30%, and a little higher would be better, maybe around 40.

I have a humidifier sponge thingie that I put into my guitar case, but I have no way of knowing what the humidity is inside the case. The humidity in my apartment is a measly 11 to 13 percent. I try putting the hygrometer in the guitar case and then opening it, but it shows just 17%. That's not enough, if that's even accurate. So maybe I need to just humidify my place and get it up to between 30 and 40%.

I don't want to have to use distilled water. I hope I can find something that I can just put tap water into. It also has to be safe for a cat.

I'm finding a bunch of humidifiers on Walmarts web page that are reasonably affordable. How do I know if one of them will humidify the place enough?

nobody

Reaction score
You want a large humidifier with a replaceable filter. It costs a little more but it will be easier to clean and keep mold and mildew out of. You don't need to use distilled water in them even if it does help prevent build up. Just clean them with vinegar more.

There's also solutions to add to the water to keep mold and mildew from building up so much. I had an

AIRCARE Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier​

for a while and it worked great. Amazon sells them for $175. It died after several years and I might buy a new one. It helps with allergies and dry eyes and other things too. It's definitely worth the expense if you live in a dry environment and will work on a large apartment or a house to keep the entire thing more humid.

https://www.amazon.com/EP9-800-Whole-House-Pedestal-Style-Evaporative/dp/B00I9YFXSS

cowboyec

Reaction score
back-engineered from roswell ufo debris at wright-patterson airforce base in dayton,oh.