Anyone know any...

rojan

Reaction score
Anyone one know any anti- virus and pop-up blockers that I can download.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rojan;1416576 said:

Pop Up blockers you can just download the newest Mozilla Firefox browser...many people use the browser and once they get used to it prefer it to IE. It has a built in pop up blocker.

However if you are stuck on using IE and do not want to change I have heard that google pop up blocker works well but to be honest I have not used it as I do not use IE anymore.

As far as an antivirus program. You may want to visit your ISP home site.
Many are now offering free anti-virus programs for you as part of your membership.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
rojan;1416576 said:

I have some suggestions for you, but first let me suggest you go to download.com... type in antivirus in the search engine, then look for the pulldown menu that says "All Licenses", and select "Free"... you can even specify which O/S you use, to narrow down the search...

Then, do the same thing with popup blockers...

I used to use ZoneAlarm as my firewall, and it was good... I used Pop Up Stopper, and it was good too... but I don't use them any more, because I broke down and bought the Norton Internet Security suite, and it had an excellent firewall and popup blocker of its own...

But of the free popup blockers to be found on download.com, the most commonly downloaded-- by FAR-- is Pop-Up Stopper Free Edition v. 3.1.14... it's at 5.4 million downloads, the second most popular is around 750 thousand... it's also the highest rated by the folks at Cnet, who run that website...

The best free antivirus program they offer is AVG Antivirus Free Edition 7.5... it has been downloaded 17.5 million times, the next most popular antivirus has been downloaded just under 7 million times...

And if you're looking for a firewall to supplement you Windows Firewall, there's good ol' ZoneAlarm 6.5.722... it's been downloaded nearly 42 million times... it also carries Cnet's highest rating...

You can actually protect your PC or notebook really well with these 3 free programs, and you can find them all at download.com... along with a bunch of other programs, if for some reason you don't like any of the ones I recommended...

They have all KINDS of programs on that website, check it out... some of them are "free to try", which means they either have a limited time that they'll work for you before you have to buy them, or they provided limited functionality compared to the pay versions... and as I said, some of them are completely free...

BTW, BrainPaint is right when he says that Firefox has a good built-in popup stopper... just switch to that web browser, and your problems in that area are solved...

rojan

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys....I downloaded Mozilla Firefox for my pop-up blocker and AVG for my anti-virus...My computer is working a lot better now..

Thanks again guys

rojan

Reaction score
Is it possible to make Mozilla my main internet source..Every time I log onto my MSN and click my messages it all ways come up in IE.

it isn't possible to get rid of IE all together is it?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rojan;1417269 said:
Is it possible to make Mozilla my main internet source..Every time I log onto my MSN and click my messages it all ways come up in IE.

it isn't possible to get rid of IE all together is it?

Up on top of your firefox browser.

Tools

Drop down to Options

Make sure it is on the Main Tab

At the bottom there is a area that says always check to see if firefox is your default browser.

You do NOT need to check the box because it will pop up everytime asking if you want it to be the main browser.

Look to the right of that and click on "Check Now"

If it is not the default browser it will ask if you want it to be and choose yes.

However with MSN I am not sure since that is a microsoft site.

But it is worth a try.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1416787 said:
Pop Up blockers you can just download the newest Mozilla Firefox browser...many people use the browser and once they get used to it prefer it to IE. It has a built in pop up blocker.

However if you are stuck on using IE and do not want to change I have heard that google pop up blocker works well but to be honest I have not used it as I do not use IE anymore.

As far as an antivirus program. You may want to visit your ISP home site.
Many are now offering free anti-virus programs for you as part of your membership.

I switched to firefox about a year ago after hearing people rave about it for 2 years, now I loathe IE:D

And Google does have a decent pop blocker for the poor souls still using IE:laugh2:

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
For those of us who are not network admins or some other form of IT pro, IE works just fine. Microsoft.com has an excellent free download called Windows Defender that blocks pop-ups, eliminates or prevents spyware and adware, and provides virus protection. JMO.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
rojan;1417262 said:
Thanks a lot guys....I downloaded Mozilla Firefox for my pop-up blocker and AVG for my anti-virus...My computer is working a lot better now..

Thanks again guys

IF I helped, I'm happy...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ELDudearino;1417423 said:
I switched to firefox about a year ago after hearing people rave about it for 2 years, now I loathe IE:D

And Google does have a decent pop blocker for the poor souls still using IE:laugh2:

Yeah...I rarely use IE. The wife still uses it but I just don't care for it.

Funny thing is I was using Opera for a long time and someone told me to give Firefox a try and have been running it since.

Opera was not bad at the time but in order to get the free version you had some ads built into the browser.

The ads themselves were not too annoying but sometimes the server they were on would wig out and you would have a big blank spot on the browser that was irritating.

I think they have it without the ads now but I just got to where I liked Firefox.

One thing that I did like about Opera better than Firefox is I think Opera had better skins/themes.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The popup blocker in IE 7 works well. I like firefox but it just doesnt get the job done for some apps like Outlook Web Mail.

As for free anti virus software I would go with Avast.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday;1418321 said:
The popup blocker in IE 7 works well. I like firefox but it just doesnt get the job done for some apps like Outlook Web Mail.

As for free anti virus software I would go with Avast.

I just use outlook express.

So I still use that and not the mozilla mail program.