Anyone know how bad tolls are in Oklahoma?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I dread driving through Oklahoma. Their cops are obnoxious. They'll give you a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit. That happened to my sister there. I got a warning for going 5 MPH over, and I'm not exaggerating. I was going exactly 5 MPH over the limit. Whelp, I guess I'll be using my cruise control. I'm going to be driving from Omaha, NE to a town near Waco.

The other way Oklahoma sucks is they have a lot of tolls. My Garmin does have a setting to avoid tolls, and that's what I did last time, but that was a long time ago. It also sent me on a wild goose chase on numerous back country roads to get around their tolls. I'm thinking maybe I'm just better off paying their stupid tolls so that I don't have to drive a zig-zaggy route to get around them. However, it's been decades since I've paid tolls in a toll-happy state . Will I be able to just pay them with a credit card or do I have to bring a bunch of cash with me? Or am I better off just turning on toll avoidance and zig-zagging my way there?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
speed LIMIT?

gotta make money somewhere...
Not off me, if I can help it. I'll set cruise control to one MPH under the speed limit and will stay in the right lane. If some other driver gets mad at me for that, tough. That's what the passing lane is for. If they can't pass because someone else is plugging up the passing lane, that's not my problem. I'm staying right like you're supposed to. Get upset with the bozo who's plugging up the left. I won't even exceed the speed limit in OK by 5 MPH now that I know how ticket-happy OK cops are.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I dread driving through Oklahoma. Their cops are obnoxious. They'll give you a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit. That happened to my sister there. I got a warning for going 5 MPH over, and I'm not exaggerating. I was going exactly 5 MPH over the limit. Whelp, I guess I'll be using my cruise control. I'm going to be driving from Omaha, NE to a town near Waco.

The other way Oklahoma sucks is they have a lot of tolls. My Garmin does have a setting to avoid tolls, and that's what I did last time, but that was a long time ago. It also sent me on a wild goose chase on numerous back country roads to get around their tolls. I'm thinking maybe I'm just better off paying their stupid tolls so that I don't have to drive a zig-zaggy route to get around them. However, it's been decades since I've paid tolls in a toll-happy state . Will I be able to just pay them with a credit card or do I have to bring a bunch of cash with me? Or am I better off just turning on toll avoidance and zig-zagging my way there?
Cops here are no different than anywhere else i have been, that being said stay on I-35 and you will be safe from paying a toll.
I thought only NJ had tolls on their roads still.
Nope, believe we have about 8 or 10 Turnpikes.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I've driven thousands of miles through OK and I don't even see many cops. The couple I've had to deal with couldn't have been nicer or more fair.

And as Johnny said above, there are no tolls on I-35 from OKC to the DFW area. I'd be more worried about accidentally getting on an Express Lane when you're going through DFW. Just a couple of those could cost more than what you pay on all of northern OK.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If you do take a turnpike DON'T miss your off ramp. I did a couple of weeks ago and it was nearly 20 miles before there was an opportunity to turn around.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
speed LIMIT?

gotta make money somewhere...
I think this is location specific. I was driving through Utah earlier this week and going with the speed of traffic in 80 mph zone. I was doing 88 and saw the cruiser and just said "whelp, here we go. Gonna get a ticket".

My passenger was like, "nah, you braked and acknowledged you were in the wrong and everyone else is going to the same speed". Cop didn't move.

Think the last speeding ticket I got was like 5 years ago for doing 80 in a 65. I was running late and passed a car in front of me that turned out to be an unmarked cruiser. I deserved that one.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I know in Massachusetts and New York, they use E-Z Pass, an electronic tolling system that reads a transponder in your car, and every month you pay the bill. If you don't have a transponder, they mail you a bill, using your license plate.

You should check to see if that's an option on the route you're taking.

rags747

Reaction score

WAZE is your friend!

rags747

Reaction score
Maybe I should use it. I have it installed on my Android, but I never use it because I have a Garmin.
Throw out the Garmin imo. You will have more fun with WAZE and be told where the smokies and roadkill are. Is your car CarPlay ready? If so then it will be a great solution.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dread driving through Oklahoma. Their cops are obnoxious. They'll give you a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit.

The other way Oklahoma sucks is they have a lot of tolls.
Just drive the limit! It's only a 3 hour drive.

BTW I-35 is free through Oklahoma. No toll.

Your getting your blood pressure up over nothing.