Anyone know if dust mites can cause respiratory problems?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I keep having sneezing fits, usually in the morning. Anti-allergy meds don't do much for it. I saw an ad for a product that looks kind of like a black light. They claim it kills dust mites, which they say are "a common cause of allergies." I feel some skepticism, but what if their dust-mite-zapping gizmo actually works? One doc I knew some years back said that dust mites were harmless and were "just part of doing business on planet Earth." He said no one can really get rid of them and not to worry about them. But that was a long time ago.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You probably have allergic rhinitis which shows mostly sneezing, itching and burning eyes. It can also present asthma-like symptoms. Get some antihistamines or corticosteroids :thumbup:

Hardline

Reaction score
I keep having sneezing fits, usually in the morning. Anti-allergy meds don't do much for it. I saw an ad for a product that looks kind of like a black light. They claim it kills dust mites, which they say are "a common cause of allergies." I feel some skepticism, but what if their dust-mite-zapping gizmo actually works? One doc I knew some years back said that dust mites were harmless and were "just part of doing business on planet Earth." He said no one can really get rid of them and not to worry about them. But that was a long time ago.
Just don't look at a dust mite through a high powered microscope.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which anti allergy meds have you tried.

I tried a couple over the counter ones that did not do much but found another that did.
I had to get it in my system and that might take a few days but it has made a world of differece.

I tried Benadryl, Allegra and claratin. None of those seemed to work

I started taking Claratin and Zyrtec and it started working. I just took the claratin with is as I had some left over.

After i finished the claratin I just kept up with the Zyrtec.

No way I would go with out it now.

I would get sneezing fits, I would go around 3 days of sneezing, runny nose and irritated eyes. To the point my nose and cheek areas would be red and raw.
Those started out just getting them every few months and progressed to at least twice a month and worse.

So you might have to try different ones and also give it a few days to get in your system. I would suggest taking them at night. Some of them can make you drowsy even when some say they do not. Just depends on the person.

If your sneezing and allergies are not too bad and you can live with it...so be it.. But try the different ones. Chances are one of them will work for you.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Haven’t you talked to one of your online extraterrestrial girlfriends of yours? She would surely have a cure.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, if you have dust mites, you probably have dust, which can make you sneeze. Or maybe you have a sinus infection.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Dust mites live on everything that can accumulate and collect dust. Furniture, bed, sheets and blankets and your pillow are huge contributors.

I have the same allergic reaction, as many people do. I've tried many options, and although you can minimize the dust, you can never get rid of it totally. I'm not sure about the black light one though. Never tried that. Sounds like an old wives tale but you never know.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes, dust mites are serious offenders of mucus membranes in the nose for some people. I resisted Flonase for years because I just have an aversion to spraying things up my nose, but after seeing a doctor he convinced me of the benefits. I tried it and now I swear by it. Trust me, get a prescription for it and use it when necessary. It works. Also, Use Pataday drops for itchy eyes. That really works for me too.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes, dust mites are serious offenders of mucus membranes in the nose for some people. I resisted Flonase for years because I just have an aversion to spraying things up my nose, but after seeing a doctor he convinced me of the benefits. I tried it and now I swear by it. Trust me, get a prescription for it and use it when necessary. It works. Also, Use Pataday drops for itchy eyes. That really works for me too.
Thanks. I'll try that stuff. I think you can even get it without a prescription now. I also finally have a real vacuum cleaner. I spent so much on cheap vacuums that just broke down that I finally realized I should just shell out the bucks for a high quality. I just got my Dyson v15 and can't wait to use it. People rave about this thing. It's supposed to pick up dust better than typical machines.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Which anti allergy meds have you tried.

I tried a couple over the counter ones that did not do much but found another that did.
I had to get it in my system and that might take a few days but it has made a world of differece.

I tried Benadryl, Allegra and claratin. None of those seemed to work

I started taking Claratin and Zyrtec and it started working. I just took the claratin with is as I had some left over.

After i finished the claratin I just kept up with the Zyrtec.

No way I would go with out it now.

I would get sneezing fits, I would go around 3 days of sneezing, runny nose and irritated eyes. To the point my nose and cheek areas would be red and raw.
Those started out just getting them every few months and progressed to at least twice a month and worse.

So you might have to try different ones and also give it a few days to get in your system. I would suggest taking them at night. Some of them can make you drowsy even when some say they do not. Just depends on the person.

If your sneezing and allergies are not too bad and you can live with it...so be it.. But try the different ones. Chances are one of them will work for you.
I use to get hay fever years ago ragweed kicked my butt every September Had to get prescription medicine and miss work to get rid of it Sometimes it turned into bronchitis Luckily it has not happened in a long time