Anyone know if Key gave JJ the option

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
To match the Carolina offer? I know he said that he would do that. I doubt JJ would have matched it but I was wondering if he held up his end of the deal and called him and gave him the opportunity.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
To match the Carolina offer? I know he said that he would do that. I doubt JJ would have matched it but I was wondering if he held up his end of the deal and called him and gave him the opportunity.

Could be wrong, but I can't see Jerry forking out a $5 million signing bonus for a wideout who may not even get any time in the 3 receiver sets. That's not a knock on Key, I just think the only one he could replace would be Crayton and Parcells may have opted for developing Crayton instead.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:

I was thinking this same thing driving to the office this morning. Ive not heard a peep regarding it.

My bet is that he didnt even bother to call JJ/BP. He knew they wouldnt match that. Not after what they are giving T.O.

Im sure Key probably wet himself getting that kind of $$.

Key is a fine WR but he is not worth that kind of cash.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Lookit folks. Key is gone. Why would we bring him back? To be the 3rd receiver? To take time away from Crayton's development.

I love Key but playing in Dallas is not in the cards for him anymore.

Eddie

Reaction score
Guys, you need a lesson in psychology 101.

Key was fired. It's a humiliating experience. Even though it was "business", being let go simply means, "We don't want you anymore".

In order to lift up his fallen pride, Key stated he would let the Cowboys re-sign him ... it's nothing more than a boost to his fallen pride. As if he had an ounce of control in this matter ... he didn't, but wanted to make it seem so.

With a $5 mil signing bonus on the table, Key's pride has been restored ... why would he crawl back to the table that didn't want him???

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
WOW! I just asked the question. Even said in the original post that I doubted Jerry would want him back. Just wondered if Key indeeed did hold up his end of the gentlemen's agreement. That's all. No need to rehash who is on the roster and why this or that. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Key was fired. It's a humiliating experience. Even though it was "business", being let go simply means, "We don't want you anymore".

In order to lift up his fallen pride, Key stated he would let the Cowboys re-sign him ... it's nothing more than a boost to his fallen pride. As if he had an ounce of control in this matter ... he didn't, but wanted to make it seem so.

With a $5 mil signing bonus on the table, Key's pride has been restored ... why would he crawl back to the table that didn't want him???

So all of the published stories that the Cowboys offered to keep him at his current price 2.5mill /...but Key wanted more. Thats all bogus and doesnt matter. We fired Key. We never once wanted to keep him. Its all pshychology.

You can see that Im not buying just cuz you say so.... :D

aikemirv

Reaction score
Eddie said:

Keyshawn was not fired, he quit, basically saying he would not play for what they were paying him.

yesfan

Reaction score
I just watched his press conference,and watching the
clips of him playing,the guy is good and i wish good luck.

Eddie

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Keyshawn was not fired, he quit, basically saying he would not play for what they were paying him.

Uhhh, no. He was fired. He never said he wouldn't play for what they were paying him, and he didn't offer any resignation papers.

Sugar coat if you want, but in reality, he was fired ... for whatever reason it may be.

When a company tells you it no longer wants you, you know you're fired.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Uhhh, no. He was fired. He never said he wouldn't play for what they were paying him, and he didn't offer any resignation papers.

Sugar coat if you want, but in reality, he was fired ... for whatever reason it may be.

I have read a few articles that said that Keyshawn was not playing for what we were paying this year. He even said so after he was let go on ESPN, I heard him myself say that he was not going to play for 2.5 million, he would rather concentrate on his own business.

That is why Dallas did not pay him the 1 mill, because they knew he was not going to play for his contract amount and were not going to put out the 1 mill and shoot themselves in the foot. That has been in articles as well.

stiletto

Reaction score
Eddie said:

This isn't your local supermarket. TO might've been fired but Keyshawn was upgraded and that's it. If we wouldn't have gotten TO we would've been more willing to keep TO. To say we didn't want him anymore isnt exactly right. We just wanted someone better.

wileedog

Reaction score
Eddie said:

They never said they didn't want him. They said they weren't going to give him a raise.

The next steps were up to Keyshawn.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jerry and Bill may have told Keyshawn that when he was shopping for another team and the price ended up in a certain range, they may look to match the offer of the other team. I doubt the Carolina offer fell within any kind of range limit. If it was lower, Key may have come back and asked Dallas if they could mathc.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I wish him the best. He only yelled at Bledsoe once from my recollection.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
stiletto said:
This isn't your local supermarket. TO might've been fired but Keyshawn was upgraded and that's it. If we wouldn't have gotten TO we would've been more willing to keep TO. To say we didn't want him anymore isnt exactly right. We just wanted someone better.

Do we want TO or did we fire TO? Im confused.:laugh2:

Murph80

Reaction score
The cowboys were very aggressive in trying to re sign Key. Accorording to Rotoworld.com. But I guess it was to late. Makes you wonder if they are still in the market for another FA WR.