Anyone know if there's a loophole that will let you drive Uber with an older car?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'd like to pay off a loan I got from the bank earlier than I would with its normal payments. It would be cool to earn extra money for that by driving Uber. My brother did it. However, one of their rules is your car should not be more than 10 years old. Crap. My car is a 2003 Saturn Ion 2. It's in great shape and is perfectly comfortable. I could get people around in that car no problem if Uber would just let me. The other rub is they say your car should be a sedan, in other words have doors in the back for passengers. My car does have rear seat doors for passengers, but not normal sedan style ones. They're little suicide doors (doors that go the reverse direction). They make it way easier to get people in the back seat than if there were only 2 doors, but it does classify the car as a coup, not a sedan.

So this car could certainly work for driving people around. People would be perfectly comfortable, but it doesn't fit Uber's rules. Is Uber super steadfast for their rules or is there wiggle room? I can't imagine them turning down someone with a rebuilt and gorgeous '65 Mustang. Who wouldn't want to ride in an awesome classic car like that? However, if there's a classic car loophole, that wouldn't help me since my Ion isn't exactly a classic. Maybe there's some kind of loophole based on my car being in really good condition.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I use Lyft (Uber less these days) a fair bit and have never seen an older car.

I doubt a young lady riding home at night would be as impressed by someone's '65 mustang than you might believe. People opting for Lyft/Uber over cabs do it for safety, ease and cleanliness. It's generally cheaper to take a cab, so I would probably be a little put off to be paying a premium only to have someone pick me up in a 15 year old car – especially if I was expecting a newer Camry or something like that, but maybe that's just me.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I drive my 1975 Datsun B210 for this every day without complaints. :)

18s0nps12ohjzjpg.jpg

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I drive my 1975 Datsun B210 for this every day without complaints. :)

18s0nps12ohjzjpg.jpg

I remember that model. A friend of mine drove that exact car. It was even the same color. Thanx for the memories.

What I'm hoping I can do is drive Lyft for about a year and have it be enough to save up bucks for another car. I'd really like to get a Honda Civic or maybe a Mitsubishi Eclipse, but I love not having a car payment. So maybe stash money to savings for a year and buy a car in cash. I could combine some of my regular income with Lyft income. Having a car payment sucks. When I paid off my car, it was like getting a raise.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
No worries Fellas, I think you can just go down to Costco and pick up a spare, if you need to.

I got this sweet 1981 Chevette for a smoking deal!

157_1.jpg

LOL, I actually remember the commercials for the Chevette. Didn't it make all kinds of lists of the worst cars ever?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL, I actually remember the commercials for the Chevette. Didn't it make all kinds of lists of the worst cars ever?

I'm sorry, I think you have this vehicle confused with my personal driver, a 1979 AMC Pacer.

1125028-1978-amc-pacer-std-c.jpg

As you can see, I've done a little work to mine........

:flagwave:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I think you have this vehicle confused with my personal driver, a 1979 AMC Pacer.

LOL. When I was a kid, my parents actually got a Pacer as a rent-a-car when we were traveling. It was awful. Most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. We called it the fishbowl. The only car worse than that that I can think of is a Trabant. You only will have seen one of those if you visited communist East Germany, which I did in '88. They looked like cute little toy cars, but their quality was atrocious. They barely had any power, and they spewed blue smoke. When Germany reunited, you could get a Trabant for free.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I was in New York and got an Uber. Said he had a Camry. He showed up in his cab. I was going to report him, but decided I can't blame the guy for hustling to make a living.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Looks like you added a top of the line filter to that mobile fish tank.