Anyone know the cap implications if we have to cut Rivera next March?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Hmm. You seem to be stalking me today. Here's what I want you to do: travel to the land of My Little Pony, where everything is sweet and light, all Cowboy players are flawless, and never a discouraging word is heard. Have fun.

235-416-foto_home.jpg

It's better than visiting the Land of BBGun, where everything is crap, it's always raining, all Cowboys players suck, and nothing BUT discouraging words are EVER heard...

Having fun in the Land of BBGun is strictly verboten... I sure am glad I don't have your outlook on life in general and the Cowboys in particular...

Of course, it's no surprise that you couldn't answer the question posed you, clearly you don't have anything good to say about anything connected with the Cowboys... either that, or it would gag you, having to actually SAY something good about the Boys...

How 'bout I ask you another question, one a little easier-- do you EVER get any pleasure from being a Dallas Cowboys fan, or does your pleasure come from venting your hostility at every opportunity??

I honestly believe I got more pleasure out of the Cowboys' 1-15 season in 1989 than you got out of their last Super Bowl Season... I believe they could go 16-0, winning by an average margin of 20 points per game, and you still wouldn't be able to find something positive to say about them...

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
This is the second post i made in response to you.

You cant answer the question tho without exposing the sham your position is tho. Thats fine carry on with your regualarly scheduled trolling.

I don't think he's trolling, I just think he's angry... about a lot of things that have nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys, but growling about them gives him a chance to vent his hostilities...

When I was a young assistant golf pro, I was angry about a lot of things my own self, and I vented my frustrations on the course... at the first sign of a bad shot, I'd go postal... of course, all that led to was some REALLY lousy play, and that anger of mine kept me from realizing my full potential as a golfer (that, and my ongoing ability to make a freakin' putt, LOL)...

It was only when I realized that I'm actually a pretty good scrambler, and that all that anger was destroying my game needlessly, that I began to remember that I was supposed to be doing that for FUN...

Poor bbgun doesn't seem to have any fun rooting for the Boys, and I rather doubt he ever has... rather than be angry at him, we should be sad for him (though of course, it IS tiring, being force fed that steady stream of negativity)...

ghst187

Reaction score
JJ should've taken back that signing bonus when Rivera offered it (right after he injured his back).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's better than visiting the Land of BBGun, where everything is crap, it's always raining, all Cowboys players suck, and nothing BUT discouraging words are EVER heard...

Better cynical than delusional.

Having fun in the Land of BBGun is strictly verboten... I sure am glad I don't have your outlook on life in general and the Cowboys in particular...

Are you the same "Bear" blowhard who bores people to tears at alt.dallas.cowboys?

Of course, it's no surprise that you couldn't answer the question posed you, clearly you don't have anything good to say about anything connected with the Cowboys... either that, or it would gag you, having to actually SAY something good about the Boys...

Because the thread was about Rivera and his query was a non-sequitur.

How 'bout I ask you another question, one a little easier-- do you EVER get any pleasure from being a Dallas Cowboys fan, or does your pleasure come from venting your hostility at every opportunity??

Absolutely. I've been a diehard fan since '78. That's "fan," not mindless booster or cheerleader. Has it escaped your notice that this team has been bad for a very very long time? Am I supposed to take solace in small, moral victories? I want them to win, but I also want them to be better. To make smarter choices. To draft better and not import mercenaries like TO. They did it once, they can do it again. In the meantime, no asskissing.

I honestly believe I got more pleasure out of the Cowboys' 1-15 season in 1989 than you got out of their last Super Bowl Season... I believe they could go 16-0, winning by an average margin of 20 points per game, and you still wouldn't be able to find something positive to say about them...

No, 1989 was a bummer because the stupid Walsh selection cost us the no. 1 pick.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Anyone know the cap implications if we have to cut him next March after another crap year? I seem to recall Mick saying we need to get three years out of him, minimum.

We should've cut him this year instead of cutting Larry Allen...:bang2: :bang2: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :bang2:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bbgun said:

Are you the same "Bear" blowhard who bores people to tears at alt.dallas.cowboys?

Because the thread was about Rivera and his query was a non-sequitur.

Absolutely. I've been a diehard fan since '78. That's "fan," not mindless booster or cheerleader. Has it escaped your notice that this team has been bad for a very very long time? Am I supposed to take solace in small, moral victories? I want them to win, but I also want them to be better. To make smarter choices. To draft better and not import mercenaries like TO. They did it once, they can do it again. In the meantime, no asskissing.

No, 1989 was a bummer because the stupid Walsh selection cost us the no. 1 pick.

You still havent answered the question.

Eddie

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Anyone know the cap implications if we have to cut him next March after another crap year? I seem to recall Mick saying we need to get three years out of him, minimum.

Let's do the math ... $10 mil signing bonus covers 5 years. That's prorated $2 mil a year.

If we cut him next March, then it means he has 3 years left on his contract, and we eat $6 mil.

Lousy pickup and a much waste of money. Typical Jerry Jones ... paying for age. He doesn't learn.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Let's do the math ... $10 mil signing bonus covers 5 years. That's prorated $2 mil a year.

Rivera's signing bonus was only $8.125 million, prorated at $1.625 million per season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RealCowboyfan said:
We should've cut him this year instead of cutting Larry Allen...:bang2: :bang2: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :bang2:
I'd love to hear the explaination of that one.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eddie said:
Lousy pickup and a much waste of money. Typical Jerry Jones ... paying for age. He doesn't learn.
Freak injury = not Jerry Jones fault.

silverbear

Reaction score
bbgun said:

It would be if your cynicism was rooted in reality, but of course it's not... I have a full appreciation of the weaknesses of the Dallas Cowboys, and routinely start threads about how they might go about addressing those deficiencies... but I'm not gonna snarl at everything about the team, the way you do...

Nope... there is no such forum... perhaps you mean alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys...

I am indeed THAT Bear... and I'm so "boring" to the folks over there that I was once declared the HMFIC of that board by the regulars... LOL...

It's nice to know that I "bore" you, though... I wear the contempt of folks like you as a badge of honor...

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
You still havent answered the question.

Yes, he has... by his silence, he proves that we're right about him... the guy's not capable of doing anything but snarling his hostility...

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Freak injury = not Jerry Jones fault.

Naw, of COURSE it was ridiculous for Jerry to go after an offensive lineman who had appeared in the previous 3 Pro Bowls... how outrageous of him, to expect something close to the same level of play, EVERYBODY knows that offensive linemen are toast by the time they're 33 years old... none of them have ever played worth a hammered crap once they got to that age...

And Jerry should certainly have been able to predict Marco would mess up his back, even though there was no hint of any back problems in his physical or on his X-rays... ALL 33 year old offensive linemen suffer back injuries, you know...

Q_the_man

Reaction score
bbgun said:
\
Actually I'm glad we took Walsh it made Aikman step up and not be guaranteed the position(2 first round QBs someone has to step up, both rookies, Aikman was #1 pick but Walsh won a national championship and his coach was none other than Jimmy Johnson)

Then if we have the #1 pick we might have drafted Blair Thomas instead of Emmitt:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Finally we got a couple of 2nd round picks from the Saints I believe for Walsh, which I think we drafted Woodson or Darrin Smith with one of those picks.....

So 1989 wasn't to bad afterall

Eddie

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Naw, of COURSE it was ridiculous for Jerry to go after an offensive lineman who had appeared in the previous 3 Pro Bowls... how outrageous of him, to expect something close to the same level of play, EVERYBODY knows that offensive linemen are toast by the time they're 33 years old... none of them have ever played worth a hammered crap once they got to that age...

And Jerry should certainly have been able to predict Marco would mess up his back, even though there was no hint of any back problems in his physical or on his X-rays... ALL 33 year old offensive linemen suffer back injuries, you know...

I like the sarcasm, but let's not forget Rivera's teammate was 5 years younger, and given the SAME signing bonus. :bang2:

That same teammate also made the Pro Bowl, while Rivera may not have a starting job this year on a lousy Cowboys OL.

Regardless of what we can and cannot predict, you DO NOT pay top dollar for age. I don't care what position. DO NOT pay top dollar for age. It's THAT simple.

... and NO, OLmen DO NOT reach their prime at age 40. ::rolleyes::

Eskimo

Reaction score
silverbear said:

You always have to listen carefully to history when talking about back problems because the condition is often intermittent:

NFL Injury Report

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

(12-22) 15:58 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

The National Football League injury report for Friday's game, as provided by the league:
Friday

GREEN BAY PACKERS (8-6) AT MINNESOTA VIKINGS (8-6) -- Packers: OUT: WR Robert Ferguson (head/neck). QUESTIONABLE: T Kevin Barry (quadricep); DT James Lee (knee). PROBABLE: LB Na'il Diggs (back/kidney); DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (neck); DT Grady Jackson (knee); G Marco Rivera (back). Vikings: OUT: CB Ralph Brown (eye). PROBABLE: C Matt Birk (abdomen); T Bryant McKinnie (back); CB Antoine Winfield (ankle).

Now this doesn't necessarily mean that the back injury was very severe but it was bad enough for him to be on the injured report late in the 2004 season.

I just think you need to very cautious when signing OL with back problems - the forced hyperextension loading makes this position particularly prone to back injuries. It is one of the positions in sports most strongly linked to spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis which are conditions in which there is a fracture in the lumbar vertebrae which actually causes the vertebrae to slip in relation to each other (not saying this is Rivera's injury).

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Regardless of what we can and cannot predict, you DO NOT pay top dollar for age. I don't care what position. DO NOT pay top dollar for age. It's THAT simple...

Well, not to encroach upon your discussion with "silverbear" but just thought you'd want to look at this:

* IND re-signed Marvin Harrison who was 33 at the time for 7 years and $67 million;
* DEN signed John Lynch in '04 who was 33 at the time to a 3-year $9 million contract and he recently had his contract extended through to '08;
* NE signed Rodney Harrison to a 6-year $14.5 million contract in '03 when he was 31-years old;

Signings or re-signings specific to OL:

* KC could have cut Pro Bowler Will Shields because of their cap problems but instead they recently re-signed the 34-year old for 4 more years;
* PHI could have let Pro Bowler Jon Runyan go but they re-signed the 32-year old to another 3 years;
* In '05, CHI signed Fred Miller to a 5-year deal worth $22.5 million when he was 32 at the time;
* In '04, CHI signed former Pro Bowler Ruben Brown to a 3-year, $4.5 million contract when he was 31 at the time;
* In '04, OAK signed 3-time Pro Bowler Ron Stone to a 3-year, $8.35 million deal when he was 33 at the time;
* In '03, NO signed former Pro Bowl-alternate Wayne Gandy to a 6-year, $30 million deal when he was 32 at the time;
* In '96, SF signed former Pro Bowler Ray Brown for 6 years when he was 34 at the time.

Teams seem to be willing to gamble on older guys, even OL, in giving them lengthy contracts. Whether or not those teams have seen their FA additions subsequently performing up to their expectations, some have been more prudent than others in terms of the financial compensation offered to these FA's.