Anyone live in Seattle?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
My wife is interviewing for a job up there, so we might move. Looking for suggestions on where to live. We want to live in an apartment or condo near downtown and looking to spend about $2000/mo. in rent.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I used to live there for about a year. Good luck finding something that cheap unless you are looking for a studio/one bdr. You can always look for a place on the outskirts but right there in downtown is pretty expensive :(

Look into Bellevue, it is a nice area.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
$2k should be doable but a lot depends on how nice you want the place to be. There is a lot of great food and bars to hangout at. Have you ever been to Seattle?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I used to live there for about a year. Good luck finding something that cheap unless you are looking for a studio/one bdr. You can always look for a place on the outskirts but right there in downtown is pretty expensive :(

Look into Bellevue, it is a nice area.
We're looking for a one bedroom.

$2k should be doable but a lot depends on how nice you want the place to be. There is a lot of great food and bars to hangout at. Have you ever been to Seattle?

3x

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
My wife is interviewing for a job up there, so we might move. Looking for suggestions on where to live. We want to live in an apartment or condo near downtown and looking to spend about $2000/mo. in rent.

I live in First Hill, which is a 7-minute walk from Pike Place in downtown. I have a 507 sq ft 1-room apartment that was $1375 a month when I moved in a year ago and just increased 10%. It was by far the cheapest place I found in downtown when I looked. It still is the cheapest even with the increase. But we live in the smallest place in the whole complex. And our place isn't renovated. There are 2-bedroom places that are about 800 sq ft that are around $2000-2300. We also looked around South Lake Union which is where Amazon is. Places there were expensive a year ago and have only probably increased with all the new Amazon buildings they put up. We also looked in Belltown. The prices were cheaper than South Lake Union and comparable to where we are in First Hill. Send me a PM if you need any more info. Also, let me know if you have any places in mind and I can tell you about the area. For example, we looked at a place called 7th and James (which is located at 7th and James). The place looked good on paper but when we saw it it was awful. It was right underneath the highway so you couldn't hear anything when you went outside and it stunk of homeless people because they all live under the overpass. We chose our second option, which was right down the street and better in every way.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in First Hill, which is a 7-minute walk from Pike Place in downtown. I have a 507 sq ft 1-room apartment that was $1375 a month when I moved in a year ago and just increased 10%. It was by far the cheapest place I found in downtown when I looked. It still is the cheapest even with the increase. But we live in the smallest place in the whole complex. And our place isn't renovated. There are 2-bedroom places that are about 800 sq ft that are around $2000-2300. We also looked around South Lake Union which is where Amazon is. Places there were expensive a year ago and have only probably increased with all the new Amazon buildings they put up. We also looked in Belltown. The prices were cheaper than South Lake Union and comparable to where we are in First Hill. Send me a PM if you need any more info. Also, let me know if you have any places in mind and I can tell you about the area. For example, we looked at a place called 7th and James (which is located at 7th and James). The place looked good on paper but when we saw it it was awful. It was right underneath the highway so you couldn't hear anything when you went outside and it stunk of homeless people because they all live under the overpass. We chose our second option, which was right down the street and better in every way.

Love downtown Seattle... Have stayed at the Westin a couple of times.

But those housing costs... OUCH!

I do envy you some in that you really need to have your stuff pared down to live in a place that small... And of course cleaning it is a snap!

All the "toys" and books I'd have to dump to get down a living space that size... Double OUCH!

But again I kind of envy you for simplifying your life like that.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
I lived in Renton back in 2010 for about half the year, very beautiful place...I always tell my wife, If we ever had to live anywhere other than TX ever again, it would be the Seattle area.....Dang Summers have me dreamin bout Seattle even more lol.....

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

I do envy you some in that you really need to have your stuff pared down to live in a place that small... And of course cleaning it is a snap!

All the "toys" and books I'd have to dump to get down a living space that size... Double OUCH!

I moved to Seattle with my laptop and the clothes on my back, literally. My wife had a bunch of boxes. We met in grad school. Now we have both of our stuff in our little apartment. 95% of it is hers.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Right now, I live in a 4 bedroom house that is 2200 square feet. Dropping down to roughly 600 square feet is going to be a huge adjustment. It is just my wife and I, so we don't really need all this space, or 3/4 of the stuff we have. I am going to have family come over and pick what they want, try to sell the rest, then donate whatever is left over.

We're ready for a little adventure, and I can live anywhere I want in the lower 48 with my job.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now, I live in a 4 bedroom house that is 2200 square feet. Dropping down to roughly 600 square feet is going to be a huge adjustment. It is just my wife and I, so we don't really need all this space, or 3/4 of the stuff we have. I am going to have family come over and pick what they want, try to sell the rest, then donate whatever is left over.

We're ready for a little adventure, and I can live anywhere I want in the lower 48 with my job.

That's about where we would be at.

There would be a whole-lotta stuff given away or sold.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

It doesn't have to exactly be Downtown, just semi-close. We are looking at Ballard, Capitol Hill, Beacon Hill, and West Seattle. I just need to be able to take a $5-$10 Uber to the light rail to get to Sea Tac, and my wife's company is downtown.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It doesn't have to exactly be Downtown, just semi-close. We are looking at Ballard, Capitol Hill, Beacon Hill, and West Seattle. I just need to be able to take a $5-$10 Uber to the light rail to get to Sea Tac, and my wife's company is downtown.

Capitol Hill is definitely the closest and most convenient of those 3 places. They recently added a Link (light rail) stop in Capitol Hill. And it's only a 15 minute walk from downtown. Not sure about $5-10 Uber rides unless you're really close. I work in Fremont and it usually costs me about $15 to get there by Uber, unless there's a deal for the day. Ballard is a nice neighborhood. A bit farther from downtown but not that bad. You might want to also look into Fremont and Wallingford (near Gas Works Park). They have more of a suburban feel and aren't too far from downtown and the Link. Not sure about West Seattle. Driving is not too bad to downtown. Closest Link stop is probably SoDo (south of downtown) which is a 10 minute car ride if you're lucky. Queen Anne is a little north of downtown and is a nice area. Belltown too, but that's more of in downtown so it might be a little more expensive. Capitol Hill is a bit chaotic, but you probably know that if you've been to Seattle a few times. It's the club area and gets packed on weekends. It's nice and quiet during the week though. But there are a lot of areas of Capitol Hill that are out of the crazy areas. Also, First Hill is really nice. It's in between Capitol Hill and Downtown but is much more quiet than any surrounding areas. Has a lot of historical stuff too. I'd avoid Pioneer Square because that's the homeless capitol. International District is a little dirty too (right next to Pioneer Square).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Do what the wife and I do, put stuff in storage for when you go back(if this isn't permanent). We rent out our home in Houston while we travel up and down the West Coast enjoying the sights and scenery.

We have a storage in Houston, LA and SF with enough stuff to fill two big houses :laugh:

rynochop

Reaction score
Geez, find something in Dallas and buy Tony Romos old place for that kind of coin a month

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I did when I was younger. Still have family members there. It use to not be expensive, but rent has gotten crazy lately.