Anyone not excited about the draft?

Roughneck

Reaction score
Are you kidding?

This is the one weekend in the entire Spring where I get to just sit around the house, eat stuff that's bad for me, and listen to nothing but Football/Cowboys talk from "The Hair" & Company while I watch as we choose the centerpiece(s) of our Franchise for years to come.

This is my Freakin' Holy Grail.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
cleverusername said:
I have to play golf for a bachelor party at 12:00 on Sat., But I'm bringing my mp3 player for sure and am trying to decide if my "bad knee" is going to start acting up. I like the guy, but it's the draft.:confused:
That's why you get Tivo so even though you might miss some or part of the initial coverage you can always catch up on it and watch it later. :cool:

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
Rudy said:
I haven't been more excited for a draft ever. This years class is far superb to any in probably the last 5 years.
Umm.. in what position are you talking about? Because in quite a few it's a lot less talented.. such as WR.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Dale said:
I haven't been reading as many mocks, but that goes back the last several years (save last season) for me.

I generally don't like reading a bunch of uneducated opinions on who will be taken as low as 18. In the top 10, I get more giddy to read any and every opinion...but when we're picking near the 20s, it just gets so much harder to guess.

But I am excited. Primarily because I'm hopeful some unexpected high-calibre prospect will fall. And if not, hopefully one of the guys I like will be taken.

My fear, though, is always that I'll get my hopes up only to see them dashed. I think the Stephen Jackson/Kevin Jones draft scarred me for life in that sense. Things worked out pretty well, but still, that draft-day zinger really hurt. :)

Yea, that one really hurt as things fell into place.......the excitement and then the announcement ......there has been a trade......what? I will never forget that! But it worked out great for us.........picking up Spears. Losman may get cut.....

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyChris said:
in years past, i couldnt wait till the draft, i would browse the internet for hours getting all the info i could for the upcoming draft, but this year i havent even read one mock except for the one Goose put out a few days ago.

i dunno what it is? maybe this years class isnt getting me excited, i dont think the RB, WR, or CB class is all that great this year, other than Vince Young who i know we will not be getting, no other player excites me at all. i know come next saturday ill be glued to the tv, but till then im hardly excited.

Felt the exact same way last month, but as the draft draws closer I find myself really looking forward to it and getting excited.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I have always been excited about the draft, but like you I just can't get up for this one. I think I'm at my lowest ebb as a football fan in many, many years. Just seem to be in a funk.

p1_

Reaction score
I think you'd have to be a dead Cowboys fan not to be eager about the draft. Especially after last year's great haul. This one should be very good as well. Perhaps Bill's last.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Not as excited about it as year's past. Its not a great draft classas far as top tier players. There's not really a realistic slider posibility that I'm in love with at 18. I'm not going to be doing cartwheels over Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson or Santonio Holmes. I'm more intrigued by a lot of the mid round prospects.

gbrittain

Reaction score
The draft for NFL fans is the adult Christmas morning. All this anticipation and shaking boxes trying to figure out what you are going to get.

Finally Christmas morning arrives and you hope you got what you were wishing for.

Duane

Reaction score
I'm excited but not as much as the last several years. I didn't watch a lot of college football this past year so I'm not as familiar with the players. Also, since we're picking in the middle of the first round none of the prospects really excite me.

With that being said I take several days of vacation around the draft to listen to both pre and post draft information.

Eddie

Reaction score
The worst was watching the 2000 and 2001 drafts were we didn't have first rounder ... only to take Dwayne Goodrich, Quincy Carter, and Tony Dixon in the 2nd rounds. ***? I'm still scratching my head over those picks.

I thought the 2002 draft was the most exciting, and I really thought we nailed some Pro Bowlers. Who knew that draft fizzled out also.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Nothing can top last year. Having two #1s is the best. Especially if the guy you may have been targetting w/ your first #1 gets picked up w/ your second. Lets hope someone falls this year. I expect chaos if we pick a receiver in the first round.

kartr

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
in years past, i couldnt wait till the draft, i would browse the internet for hours getting all the info i could for the upcoming draft, but this year i havent even read one mock except for the one Goose put out a few days ago.

i dunno what it is? maybe this years class isnt getting me excited, i dont think the RB, WR, or CB class is all that great this year, other than Vince Young who i know we will not be getting, no other player excites me at all. i know come next saturday ill be glued to the tv, but till then im hardly excited.

I'd say I'm frightened more than anything, about what they might do and what they won't do. I'm frightened that they might take Charlie Whitehurst or Brodie Croyle and frightened that they might not focus on a pass rusher at DT and frightened that they might not go after Richard Marshall. I believe that Jonathan Lewis of VA. Tech and Richard Marshall can push our defense to elite level and I think that taking a lb later such as Clint Ingram or Pierre Woods of Michigan would be better options than going after an lb in rounds one and two cause I think they should take corners and DT higher than lbers and safetys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
My interest in the draft peaked in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

I'm still very interested, but nothing like it used to be. I'll be doing stuff with my kids most of that day, but I'll try to take a peek when I can.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Eddie said:
The worst was watching the 2000 and 2001 drafts were we didn't have first rounder ... only to take Dwayne Goodrich, Quincy Carter, and Tony Dixon in the 2nd rounds. ***? I'm still scratching my head over those picks.

I thought the 2002 draft was the most exciting, and I really thought we nailed some Pro Bowlers. Who knew that draft fizzled out also.

Agree with that.

There were a lot of irate Cowboy fans online when Jerry did his famous Texas Two-Step to land both Quincy AND Tony Dixon. What a coup.

And 2002 was exciting. We all thought Jerry let the clock run out when he was trading down with Minnesota. He played it cool later, comparing himself to an option quarterback making the pitch at the last second, but I believe he had to change shirts (and probably his shorts) after that one.