Anyone own a memory-foam mattress?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I'm just curious.
I have a platform bed with an inner-spring mattress and I want to add another layer of something overtop of it for a little more support and cushion.
Alot of people have recommended a feather-down pillow top for it but I was thinking of getting a thin memory-foam top.

Any comments/suggestions?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I'm just curious.
I have a platform bed with an inner-spring mattress and I want to add another layer of something overtop of it for a little more support and cushion.
Alot of people have recommended a feather-down pillow top for it but I was thinking of getting a thin memory-foam top.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thin foam won't really help you if you keep the box springs IMO. I own a couple of the regular Temporpedics and I gotta say they are the best things I've ever sleeped on.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Thin foam won't really help you if you keep the box springs IMO. I own a couple of the regular Temporpedics and I gotta say they are the best things I've ever sleeped on.
But aren't those very expensive? (esp. the Tempurpedic brand)

I was just thinking about getting a 3" thick memory foam topper. You don't think it would help?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The toppers don't work very well when put on "used" mattresses. Depending on its age, the springs in your mattress may have already started to deform. The topper will quickly deform in the same pattern causing the same pressure point discomfort.

Plus for not much more than the price of the currently available "memory foam", you can pick up a decent whole set of bedding. Check some of the off brands for some pretty decent value. A decent full set will only run you $400/500 with a queen in the $500/600 range.

Unless you're a particularly large man the bottom of the "medium" quality units will suffice.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
The toppers don't work very well when put on "used" mattresses. Depending on its age, the springs in your mattress may have already started to deform. The topper will quickly deform in the same pattern causing the same pressure point discomfort.

Plus for not much more than the price of the currently available "memory foam", you can pick up a decent whole set of bedding. Check some of the off brands for some pretty decent value. A decent full set will only run you $400/500 with a queen in the $500/600 range.

Unless you're a particularly large man the bottom of the "medium" quality units will suffice.
Not a large man but I was hoping to make a nice upgrade for a small price.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Stanley is right... if your mattress is shot, say dips in the middle, then you will face the same problem...

I bought the 4" memory foam top from overstock.com and I have to say it is amazing...

After reading many reviews before I bought, I would say anything less than 4" is not enough...

I sleep great on mine... it runs about $179-$199 and $2 shipping...

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Stanley is right... if your mattress is shot, say dips in the middle, then you will face the same problem...

I bought the 4" memory foam top from overstock.com and I have to say it is amazing...

After reading many reviews before I bought, I would say anything less than 4" is not enough...

I sleep great on mine... it runs about $179-$199 and $2 shipping...
Thanks for the advice.
My mattress isn't shot at all. It's just a mattress and box spring in one because it's a platform bed so I just wanted to add another layer for comfort/support.

I was looking at Overstock.com at those very same toppers. (4")
So you love it?

trickblue

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Thanks for the advice.
My mattress isn't shot at all. It's just a mattress and box spring in one because it's a platform bed so I just wanted to add another layer for comfort/support.

I was looking at Overstock.com at those very same toppers. (4")
So you love it?

Absolutely...

My parents visited a few weeks ago and slept on ours, then had us buy them one...

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
So do you cover the foam topper and the mattress with a single fitted sheet?
Or is there a seperate cover for the topper?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
So do you cover the foam topper and the mattress with a single fitted sheet?
Or is there a seperate cover for the topper?

Just get "deep pocket" sheets, they'll fit over both. You can get pretty high thread count ones at a reasonable price at Kmart.

trickblue

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Hey trick, would you recommend that over a down topper?

Without a doubt... the down toppers are comfy on the surface, but they get very lumpy and provide no support...

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. I've been wondering about the toppers myself. If TB appoves...it must be gold.

trickblue

Reaction score
SoTex said:
Thanks for the heads up guys. I've been wondering about the toppers myself. If TB appoves...it must be gold.

Where in Sam Hill have you been you rat bastid?

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Where in Sam Hill have you been you rat bastid?

Here there and everywhere. Just opened an office in Laredo and Plano, so things have been crazy and haven't been home much. Things are starting to get back to normal, so hopefully I'll be around more. I miss this place. Hope your new family is good.