Anyone read fantasy books?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I was just curious. Right now i am reading a trilogy called the first law by joe abercrombie. I am on the second one of the series, they are pretty good.

Another book i just read that i enjoyed was The lies of locke lamora.

Anyone else?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was young I read the dragon riders of pern and a few other books of that genre. About the only ones I read at that time and still can sit down and read are the Hobbit and the Lord of the ring trilogy.

Now I will read King, Koontz, McCammon, Saul and the like...just not the dungeon and dragons type books.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
I like Koontz and King as well but for some reason my favorite read is my Sherlock Holmes collection. I also like Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett; there fantasy but with a good dose of parody.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I'm a huge Piers Anthony fan. His stuff is pretty easy to read, entertaining. I

enjoy the Incarnations of Immortality series the most, but also love the Adept series, and the Geodyssey series....and the Xanth stuff. Oh hell, I like it all.

I also like his non-fantasy stuff, too, in particular Tatham Mound.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I have read Fantasy all of my life. I still do. Here are a few of my favorite things...:)

DragonLance Novels: The Chronicles Trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning)
Authors: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Riftware Saga: Magician, Silver Thorn, A Darkness at Sethanon
Author: Raymond Feist

A Song of Ice and Fire - series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows
Author: George R R Martin

Dark Elf Trilogy
Author: R A Salvatore (Any of this guys books will just suck you in. He is a fantastic writer.)

If you like fantasy and a bit of spell slinging and cleric bashing fun, I suggest reading a few of these books. They continue to be a pleasure for me to read.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
I never read any Fantasy Books per say, but I would read Penthouse Forum every chance I got in my youth. Lots of good fantasies in there.

I'm also working (very slowly) on a sort of Time Traveling Sniper screenplay type thing. It stinks pretty bad so far, but I've got all the time in the world to get it like I want it prior to submitting it for publication.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
locked&loaded;2006841 said:
I was just curious. Right now i am reading a trilogy called the first law by joe abercrombie. I am on the second one of the series, they are pretty good.

Another book i just read that i enjoyed was The lies of locke lamora.

Anyone else?

Yes..might I suggest Super Bowl Champions- An Eagle's Tale.

PosterChild

Reaction score
jackrussell;2007313 said:

That's just too far out there for me. I guess I lack the imagination it requires to suspend disbelief and enjoy a far flung story like that.

BTW, my dog is bigger than your dog.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
jackrussell;2007313 said:

An Eagles Tail... hehehe

I tried reading it... couldnt get past the TOC :lmao2:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dallas;2007069 said:
A Song of Ice and Fire - series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows

That is my favorite series I've read. I can't wait for the HBO series to start. I just wish he'd hurry up and get the 5th book finished.

As for other fantasy, I've read quite a few. A recent one I read that was pretty good. I can't remember the name of the series (it was a trilogy with a prequel - Dragoncrown something), but the names of the books are: The Dark Glory War, Fortress Draconis, When Dragons Rage, and The Grand Crusade. Stanback or something was the Author.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2007478 said:
That is my favorite series I've read. I can't wait for the HBO series to start. I just wish he'd hurry up and get the 5th book finished.

As for other fantasy, I've read quite a few. A recent one I read that was pretty good. I can't remember the name of the series (it was a trilogy with a prequel - Dragoncrown something), but the names of the books are: The Dark Glory War, Fortress Draconis, When Dragons Rage, and The Grand Crusade. Stanback or something was the Author.

Ive read all of his books. Excellent excellent reads. Another very good author of Epic Fantasy.

Author was : Michael A Stackpole

I actually did some emails w/ George Martin last year. He is an enormouse NFL football fan. His team: NYFG

I remember at the time he hated Caughlin and Barber. He is an avid fan of the draft also and makes his own board.

Very nice guy.

He does seem to write very slow. I know Feast was orginally 1 book (took like 3 year or so to finish) and he had to half it because there was just to much. The latter is what I am waiting on now.

Great books !

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
Terry Goodkind is my personal favorite. I highly recommend everyone that hasn't read his books and likes fantasy to delve into his books.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Dallas;2007069 said:
I have read Fantasy all of my life. I still do. Here are a few of my favorite things...:)

DragonLance Novels: The Chronicles Trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning)
Authors: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Riftware Saga: Magician, Silver Thorn, A Darkness at Sethanon
Author: Raymond Feist

Dark Elf Trilogy

Author: R A Salvatore (Any of this guys books will just suck you in. He is a fantastic writer.)

If you like fantasy and a bit of spell slinging and cleric bashing fun, I suggest reading a few of these books. They continue to be a pleasure for me to read.

I have read most of salvatores books (drizzt is pretty great.

I have a game of thrones on my shelf, i will read it evenutually.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
I don't know if you mean LOTR type books when you say fantasy but I finally bought and read I Am Legend. Awesome book. Short though.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DemonBlood;2007507 said:
I don't know if you mean LOTR type books when you say fantasy but I finally bought and read I Am Legend. Awesome book. Short though.

Anything by Ed Greenwood is also excllent. Some of his books:

Elminster: The Making of a Mage
Elminster in Hell
Elminster in Myth Drannor
The Temptation of Elminster

For those who don't know, Elminster is probably the most powerful Mage in the Forgotten Realms worlds. His wife/gf is the God of Magic.

Excellent reading.

Also...Any of the Conan Books.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dallas;2007487 said:
Ive read all of his books. Excellent excellent reads. Another very good author of Epic Fantasy.

Author was : Michael A Stackpole

I actually did some emails w/ George Martin last year. He is an enormouse NFL football fan. His team: NYFG

I remember at the time he hated Caughlin and Barber. He is an avid fan of the draft also and makes his own board.

Very nice guy.

He does seem to write very slow. I know Feast was orginally 1 book (took like 3 year or so to finish) and he had to half it because there was just to much. The latter is what I am waiting on now.

Great books !

Ah yes, Stackpole that was it. I've read a couple other of his books. Both of which were the 2nd part in series, so that was a little awkward, especially the last one which isn't really a complete story on it's own and had a ton of characters I had no idea about. The word escapes me, but it was about a family of map makers. The other one had some funny magic shoes.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Michael Moorcock is standard stuff.

Chris Bunch had a good trilogy in Demon King.

Terry Brooks has a great LoTR like adventure in the Shannara series.