Anyone seen The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo trilogy?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I started watching these movies before my holiday and have finished two of them.

I have to say European movies are better than North American ones.

Women tend not to like the Dragon Tatoo trilogy due to the rape scenes and the violence against women (like the lesbian being punched in the face by the big blond guy in the second movie) but they do form part of the plot, it isn't just gratuitous violence.

I like the movies, they are well done. Watching with the subtitles is a bit of a pain but still, they are good.

I doubt the Hollywood remakes of the movie which will be out soon will be as good.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Dont mean to rain on your parade but my wife made me sit thru two of them and i think i fell asleep.
She did like them tho.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I haven't seen them(I've read the books). Some friends have seen them and thought they were just okay. They thought the male lead was miscast. That will be Daniel Craig in the Hollywood versions and he will probably do a good job. The key will be the female lead being played by Rooney Mara.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I watched them and it was an excellent series of movies, the quality varied from film to film but overall very well done.

The American version of the first film gets released this year i believe(?).

joseephuss

Reaction score
rockwood2;4013564 said:
I watched them and it was an excellent series of movies, the quality varied from film to film but overall very well done.

The American version of the first film gets released this year i believe(?).

I think they are set for a Christmas release.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If I have to read sub-titles, the movie sucks to me. (notice I said to me)

Shame that they are remaking the movie but changing so (as they say) it will appeal to an American audience. (I guess to American idiots)

808s&KobeSteaks

Benched
Reaction score
I saw the first one and I liked it...the foreign/independent movies are the only good ones on Netflix...I like subtitles, doesnt allow my mind to wander.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
I liked the first one best. Can't say I remember much from the other two.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I thought they were well done. The male lead was a little weak, but the lady they cast as Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace) was excellent.

kristie

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4015226 said:
I thought they were well done. The male lead was a little weak, but the lady they cast as Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace) was excellent.

and she's going to be in the new sherlock holmes movie coming out in december. :D

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I fully expect the remakes to be better. While the originals were interesting, they weren't great, and could be improved upon greatly. The cast looks solid, and it's in good hands as far as a director, so I see no reason not to expect better.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I've read the books and have watched all three movies. I thought the movies were very well done and stayed close to the books, to a large extent.

I'll be interested in watching the U.S. version as well. I'm sure it will be bigger, flashier and much more dramatized with action scenes that are a lot more flamboyant.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
nyc;4014668 said:
If I have to read sub-titles, the movie sucks to me. (notice I said to me)

Shame that they are remaking the movie but changing so (as they say) it will appeal to an American audience. (I guess to American idiots)

I thought the movies sucked. But then again, I didn't read the books.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4019722 said:
I thought the movies sucked. But then again, I didn't read the books.

I really enjoyed them. I recommend them to anyone who is an avid reader.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ethiostar;4019392 said:
I've read the books and have watched all three movies. I thought the movies were very well done and stayed close to the books, to a large extent.

I'll be interested in watching the U.S. version as well. I'm sure it will be bigger, flashier and much more dramatized with action scenes that are a lot more flamboyant.

but how will American audiences/filmakers do that Bjurman rape scene?

Temo

Reaction score
Women tend to not like Girl with the Dragon tatoo? It's got overtly feminist tones.

I thought the first movie was good. After that it got pretty dumb. Just like hollywood movies!

ethiostar

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4020222 said:
but how will American audiences/filmakers do that Bjurman rape scene?

I expect the rape scene to be a lot less graphic/explicit.

kristie

Reaction score
i'm more concerned with how well rooney mara is going to do as lisbeth. noomi rapace was brilliant as lisbeth.