Anyone speak a second language?

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Have been in Germany for about 14 months and am just feeling like I can call myself "fluent." It is definately something that I can only compare to trying to lose weight...a long process that requires a lot of discipline and patience.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has learned a language as an adult and how it went.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Im conversational in Spanish and German. I SHOULD be fluent in Spanish, from 5th grade up into high school my best friend was Mexican-American, his parents barely spoke any English and I was over at his house all the time. Also took Spanish in 8th and 9th grade as well. The German I know I taught myself. I got Rosetta stone for both Spanish and German, but never get around to studying, damn PS4 lol......

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have been in Germany for about 14 months and am just feeling like I can call myself "fluent." It is definately something that I can only compare to trying to lose weight...a long process that requires a lot of discipline and patience.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has learned a language as an adult and how it went.
My oldest brother learned 4 or 5 languages while working on his PHD's in Rome. He worked at the Vatican as a translator, still does it from time to time. He really enjoys that kind of stuff. I'm really impressed when he comes home to visit and I hear him talking to his colleagues on the phone. I grew up with two languages, but don't think I would have the patience to learn another as an adult.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I only speak English and Spanish fluently.

I am familiar with French enough to understand and follow conversations just not speak it.

It's funny cause my brother in law has a friend who speaks English and French fluently and understands Spanish but can't speak it. Literally the opposite of me.

When I see her she will speak to me in French and I'd answer in Spanish and she does the vice versa when I speak to her. It's pretty cool.

the_h0wey

Reaction score

si

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I know many programming languages.
I really wish I knew some. I don't have a mathematical brain so I would imagine that it would be much harder for me to learn than a spoken language.

negativecreep

Reaction score
I speak some Spanish, I had a crush on my teacher, so sometimes I didn't quite pay attention, lol she was only 20...I remember a story about some guy sitting on her lap and asking her to a dance...so some Spanish not much.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
The funny thing, when it comes to languages, is that everyone has a different definition of "fluent." Using the programming language from above, no one would say they knew the language unless they could make a functioning app, website or program. The problem with languages is that a lot of people, in an effort to beef up their resume, will say they are fluent in this or that language and not count on ever having to prove it.

I've met guys over here who said their language skills were "not that good" who spoke incredibly well and I've met people who said they were fluent and made mistakes every time they spoke. I don't think i'd ever hire anyone who said they had a language skill without conducting the interview in that language.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I can speak English and Spanish. Several years ago I was learning Finnish, due to a Finnish girlfriend, tough but was getting to a more or less conversational stage. She spoke 7 languages, put me to shame........lol

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I'm not fluent but I think i could get my way around mexico with my spanish.

Learning another language is way hard.

Phoenix

Reaction score
German (13 years in Germany)

Thai (8 years married to a Thai woman)

Plus about a dozen computer languages...

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I speak German fluently. I was an exchange student in Switzerland and Germany. I also speak some of the Swiss-German dialect. In addition, I speak French at about an upper intermediate level.

I also learned the MS Visual BASIC classic programming language, but I haven't used it in a while as it's obsolete.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I know many programming languages.

I'm working on JS now. I know a little Python.

JS is kinda going through a "functional" programming paradigm right now which is pretty cool.

Never knew a programming language previously so it's been an experience (did a bootcamp, cheap one. invaluable imo)

As far as OP, used to be fluent in Spanish and knew intermediate Russian. Haven't immersed myself in either so they've kinda gone away.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Spanish. I mean who in the US can't speak Spanish. Heck, if you speak English and Spanish you can go anywhere.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've started picking up Portuguese. (My GF is Brazilian)

I know a bit of Spanish, but being a Texas native. Who the hell doesn't.

As noted by a few others. Several computer languages.

I've got to say though. German is such an ugly language. (I'm half German no less too - German / Irish)

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I've started picking up Portuguese. (My GF is Brazilian)

I know a bit of Spanish, but being a Texas native. Who the hell doesn't.

As noted by a few others. Several computer languages.

I've got to say though. German is such an ugly language. (I'm half German no less too - German / Irish)
I thought the same before I learned it. Structurally now I think it's quite endearing.