Anyone speak a second language?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I thought the same before I learned it. Structurally now I think it's quite endearing.

I mean just listening to it being spoken. When I hear people speaking German, it reminds me of driving a Jeep at 50mph across a recently planted Maize field.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I can speak English and Spanish. Several years ago I was learning Finnish, due to a Finnish girlfriend, tough but was getting to a more or less conversational stage. She spoke 7 languages, put me to shame........lol

She, my friend, was a keeper!

csirl

Reaction score
I've started picking up Portuguese. (My GF is Brazilian)

I know a bit of Spanish, but being a Texas native. Who the hell doesn't.

As noted by a few others. Several computer languages.

I've got to say though. German is such an ugly language. (I'm half German no less too - German / Irish)

Do you speak any Gaeilge?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Do you speak any Gaeilge?

Nope, I do not. I'm half Irish, but I've never actually been to Ireland. That half of my family migrated to the US from Ireland in 1798. My other half, (German) migrated in 1709.

csirl

Reaction score
Nope, I do not. I'm half Irish, but I've never actually been to Ireland. That half of my family migrated to the US from Ireland in 1798. My other half, (German) migrated in 1709.

1798 is a very interesting year to have migrated - there was a major rebellion against the British invaders. Your family may have been involved and had to flee to escape being killed by the British?

Passepartout

Reaction score
No but did take French two years in HS. Oui Oui
But have a friend of a friend a former cop that speaks five languages. English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, and conversational in Russia.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
1798 is a very interesting year to have migrated - there was a major rebellion against the British invaders. Your family may have been involved and had to flee to escape being killed by the British?

Possible. I have no idea. That's on my dad's side and with the exception of the family names and date of migration. That's pretty much all I have about them.

csirl

Reaction score
Can read and understand French ok, but struggle with conversations.