Anyone still subscribe to a newspaper? If so why?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I thought this would spark an interesting discussion... I currently subscribe to local newspaper Newsday and paid for a year in advance. I did this mainly to support the local paper as well as bringing the paper with me to read on the train and access the Newsday app. It isn't something I needed to do considering all the news is readily available but something I wanted to do. I also thought it looked good with my bosses during my internship this summer :laugh1:

Does anyone else still subscribe to a newspaper and if so why?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Linux Journal went wholly electronic. I unsubscribed. :laugh2:

Of course, now that I have a Nexus 7, I can read the electronic version better than it appeared on my Kindle. That said, their formatting still has issues IMO. So, I still haven't resubscribed.

We used to subscribe to the weekend versions of the NY Times, but we stopped doing that about two years ago.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Reuters gives you hard news. When I was a news junkie I'd always turn to Reuters.

As for newspapers, no. Used to buy WSJ, NYT, and FT on a regular basis though.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4669937 said:
I thought this would spark an interesting discussion... I currently subscribe to local newspaper Newsday and paid for a year in advance. I did this mainly to support the local paper as well as bringing the paper with me to read on the train and access the Newsday app. It isn't something I needed to do considering all the news is readily available but something I wanted to do. I also thought it looked good with my bosses during my internship this summer :laugh1:

Does anyone else still subscribe to a newspaper and if so why?
Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don't give a ****. ;)

CoCo

Reaction score
Subscribe to my local community paper just to get the local stuff. Wow! has it gone downhill though. There remains something about the feel versus electronic but it certainly could be generational. Much of it is even available online.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 reasons - Coupons, "GO" section in Fridays paper and ads.

I was only getting the Fri, Sat and Sun papers and called in to complain about the price hike and threatened to cancel all together. Next thing I know they threw in each days paper for no extra cost for an entire year so I said OK.

Besides, it give my dog something to aim at each morning. :eek:

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
CoCo;4670470 said:
Subscribe to my local community paper just to get the local stuff. Wow! has it gone downhill though.

Its as if the papers are sealing their own fate by the drastic decline in quality.

Seems to be the American biz model now. Raise prices and reduce quality. :lmao2: :lmao2:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
My mother gets us a subscription to the local daily for Christmas every year. Fills us in on whats going on in this little podunk county and gets the woodstove going in the winter.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I quit buying the Houston Chronicle when the columnist and editor started changing up peoples words to interject their own believes into the story. Got called out for it and they refused to apologizes for what they did.

They have not gotten better yet their circulation has dropped significantly.

The best story around a newspaper was here in Houston they called me up and where trying to sell me the New York Times (about 5 years ago). The lady went through all the stuff I said no Thank You and she said but sir this is the New York Times and I said I would not by that piece of bleep for any reason. Dead silence ok thank you sir no more sales pitch.

arglebargle

Reaction score
The local entertainment weekly has better journalism and reporting than the regular newspaper.

Checking it out on a recent visit to Florida, the Tampa Bay Tribune had become a skeleton of its former self, really just a format for ads and coupons now. And that's in an area where old farts are more likely to continue to subscribe.

Except for local stuff, newspapers have to compete against a whole array of competitors now, unlike in the past. And even in that they go up against the local TV.

burmafrd

Reaction score
there is nothing in a newspaper anymore that is worth paying for.

Unless you go for the coupons.

Shunpike

Reaction score
I have been a New York Times subscriber for the last 8 years. I enjoy holding a paper rather than reading it online.

Boys122

Reaction score
Yup, still get my local newspaper. We're a small town so I like to give my support. Oh, and I need my paper when I go to the bathroom. :D

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is not just the quality of the newspaper that has decline but also the quality of journalism. People are better off reading three of four different sources online than getting it from one paper for the reasons that Kang mentioned.