Anyone tried to write a novel?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
I got inspired to write one a few weeks back. I haven't done the most important part, promising myself I'm going to write it.

I've done a bit of research into methods of writing a fictional novel. Some I like, some I don't. There's one author that says just write and when you're done you'll know it. Sounds like a huge waste of time to me. I found the Snowflake method and like elements of that.

I do like the idea of planning enough of the various plot elements in parts and pieces that you'll know who your characters are. Then you go and make a personality profile sheet for each of the main and secondary characters so that you'll "know" ahead of time how they should respond in voice and actions in a given situation.

I found that finding the "growth" of the protagonist and antagonist and writing that helps define what happens throughout, to a degree.

So far I've taken a 15 word sentence to describe the plot, expanded it to 3 Acts and an ending with a single paragraph to define what happens in each Act. Now I'm going through parts of Act 1 and Act 2 to determine how those plot elements come together for the ending of that Act and the beginning of the next Act.

Example, I have the antagonist introduced at the beginning of Act 2 although he was a shadow figure and part of Act 1. Since he was in Act 1, I'm going into his back story at how he started as a L.A. defense attorney and how he ended up in a mud brick village in Afghanistan negotiating a multi-million dollar heroin deal. That's pretty much how the end of Act 1 closes and introduces you to Act 2 being in Mexico with a my protagonist going after Mexican drug cartel leadership.

It seems natural to an extent to do it that way. Once I get partially through Act 2, I'll start to make notes for Act 3 so that I can see how those two elements blend together. Same for the ending and Act 3.

I'm having a pretty fun time doing the research and the various scenes for Act 1. I know how I want to introduce the plot elements unlike some books that say "X happened in May, 1998, said Thomas" and expect you to ride along. I want to show you in the book how you could get away with stealing 6 ICBM warheads in Russia and how the characters on both sides of that deal were either duped or crapping solid gold bullets as they did it.

I want to show the characters, even some minor ones, as having everyday vices, sins and personalities. Last night, I wrote the summary of an Oval Office scene where one of the senior advisors to the President is woke up in the early morning for an emergency briefing at White House. She takes the call, and accidentally wakes up her intern who is nude in her bed. The intern, a younger woman, ends up going with her to her office because they're both still frisky and it would be a sexual adventure to make love in her office. Anyway, the scene is a few paragraphs but at the end of it you know the senior advisor has a voracious and curiosity-driven sexual appetite for women but is married to keep up appearances in the male dominated world of the upper echelon of the political game.

So, for anyone who has attempted a book, any pointers? Is there a method you've used to get through it? Any developmental ideas or processes? How do you keep it from bogging down within the story?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am writing my first right now. I have 12 chapters done. I want to finish 2 projects (a documentary script, and my book on the Cowboys) before I finish this, but I want to put it out in 2010.

It has been very therapeutic.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Yes. I have written a novel, and I'm currently working on a second one. Unfortunately, my novel has yet to be published...probably because it's not very good. :eek::

I would advise you to read current works in your target genre, and to read authors whose style appeals to you.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3272897 said:
Yes. I have written a novel, and I'm currently working on a second one. Unfortunately, my novel has yet to be published...probably because it's not very good. :eek::

I would advise you to read current works in your target genre, and to read authors whose style appeals to you.

I'm worried about ending up borrowing content or style from them by accident. I did a huge amount of reading as a kid, and I'm forming mine to a point on an author's style I read then. I might go find them to see how some describe their characters as they introduce them.

Actual dialog I think will be a problem because I can put myself in one of characters, but have a hard time putting myself in the room with the characters and see how they interact. Maybe once I figure out each scene, determine the people in it, I can then assign them voices and personalities, and then immerse myself in the room/situation and see how they'd talk/interact.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Hostile;3272892 said:
I am writing my first right now. I have 12 chapters done. I want to finish 2 projects (a documentary script, and my book on the Cowboys) before I finish this, but I want to put it out in 2010.

It has been very therapeutic.

I've found it to be stressful.

I have to sit inside the scene where the protagonist loses his wife and rework the dialog outline over a few times. It's depressing, but she needs to die to save her husband. Once I did that scene, I was in a bad mood for the rest of the night and the folks I work with noticed. I don't look forward to going back and being in the actual conversation they have.

I have a cartel torture guy who has a style that's particularly nasty both physically and psychologically to his victims. I look inside his head and see how he does it effectively, how he approaches his victims, and how he enjoys it. Then I step back and read the notes and think "THAT was in my head???"

The research and development aspect is wholly enjoyable though. I love creating their environments in my head, visualizing the actual surroundings, breathing the dust, seeing the smoke, feeling the cold and rain that the characters are sitting in.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score

That's not true, your novel is well written and I enjoyed the time I did spend with it. When I was going through it, I didn't stop reading because I was disinterested, I was just in the middle of moving and found myself preoccupied. There are a number of books which I put down and just never picked back up even though I liked them, Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson is another example. Getting something published is just a difficult process, often one which has little to do with writing talent.

I'm glad to hear that you're still writing though, even if you felt discouraged by the response (or lack thereof) to The Agrarian Revolution.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Published, but not a novel.

I don't think I have the attention span for that, so I'm not much help for you. I would say, don't be afraid to put it down for weeks at a time. Coming back fresh can help quite a bit. And if you take a break and don't return to it, then obviously it wasn't that important to you.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
All I've ever written is short stories and flash fiction, but I've wanted to write a novel ever since I was a kid. The process intimidates me though and I have to admit that I have some cowardice in approaching it. Writing is something that I've always felt like I was good at and it's something that I enjoy immensely. That said, I'm afraid that if I do try to write a novel and I'm unsuccessful in getting it published that I will have failed. I think I would feel like I put my best on the line and it just wasn't good enough. That scares the hell out of me.

So, to all the people who do write, my hat goes off to you.

kristie

Reaction score
i've written fan fiction on a david cook fansite & even wrote one that featured the cowboys. when it comes to a novel though, i'm too scared to write one.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;3272948 said:
Published, but not a novel.

Same here.

I started a novel a long time ago, and got busy with other things and haven't had the time to finish it.

Saltwater, the only advice I could give is advice that was given to me by a couple of well-known authors -- 1) Write about what you know, and 2) developing the characters is critical.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I tried to write a romance novel once and the main character, Bob Sacamano, couldn't get laid so I had to give up on it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;3273164 said:
Same here.

I started a novel a long time ago, and got busy with other things and haven't had the time to finish it.

Saltwater, the only advice I could give is advice that was given to me by a couple of well-known authors -- 1) Write about what you know, and 2) developing the characters is critical.

don't be discouraged, that happened to JR Tolkien, the Samirillion (probably misspelled) was begun in 1917, and was completed just before his death in 1973, and proved to be his last book

suffice to say, it has never reached the public conscience like The Lord of the Rings

and I thought it was boring, only read a couple pages before discarding it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3273373 said:
I tried to write a romance novel once and the main character, Bob Sacamano, couldn't get laid so I had to give up on it.

:laugh2:

Have him join a pirate crew ...... he will get his shivers timbered in no time.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I took a creative writing class in highschool and had to make up 5 to 7 page stories. I hated it. So, no.

LilTexan

Always true to the Silver and Blue
Reaction score
I am 9 1/2 chapters into my first novel. I churned out the first 9 chapters in about 3 months....that was about 6 months ago. I have a horrible case of writer's block and haven't been able to dig my way out of it.

Wish I had some pointers for you, but it is hard! :laugh2:

One thing I would say is limit what you read re: how other authors do it. I picked up and read every book I could find on the subject and it's all I can think about now when I'm writing. (Although, if I were to recommend one, it would be Stephen King's On Writing. Even if you're NOT writing a novel it is an awesome read!)

Also, just write. Do NOT revise until the novel is complete. That is another thing that has bogged me down.

Best of luck to you! (and me! :eek:: )

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score

Dude, I haven't found the time to read your novel. So the jury is still out as to whether it's good or not. :)

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
LilTexan;3273721 said:
I am 9 1/2 chapters into my first novel. I churned out the first 9 chapters in about 3 months....that was about 6 months ago. I have a horrible case of writer's block and haven't been able to dig my way out of it.

Wish I had some pointers for you, but it is hard! :laugh2:

One thing I would say is limit what you read re: how other authors do it. I picked up and read every book I could find on the subject and it's all I can think about now when I'm writing. (Although, if I were to recommend one, it would be Stephen King's On Writing. Even if you're NOT writing a novel it is an awesome read!)

Also, just write. Do NOT revise until the novel is complete. That is another thing that has bogged me down.

Best of luck to you! (and me! :eek:: )

What is yours about?

LilTexan

Always true to the Silver and Blue
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3274141 said:
What is yours about?

Its a fantasy genre tale about dragons set in contemporary times. :)

The beginning was easy and I have the end mapped out and I have pretty solid highlights planned to connect the two, it's just a matter of getting back into the flow of writing it! :banghead: