Anyone upgrading iPhone's?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
So I currently have Verizon and the annual upgrade plan. I last used it in March, upgrading to the iPhone X.

Now the catch is a bit financial - if you upgrade after one year, you turn in your current phone, and begin making monthly payments on a 2 year horizon with the option to upgrade after one year.

This year, I'm looking at the iPhone XS Max, which seems to be top of the line, and I am thinking of sticking with the X, building the equity, and selling it in March 2020 to pocket some cash before upgrading.

This years line of iPhone's just isn't so enticing.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I stopped at iPhone 6S, it is pointless for me to keep upgrading every year. This is getting out of control, pretty soon it will be iPhone 20max for 4K. I am making a stand and even thought about going back to a flip phone but the wife said I was crazy :lmao:

lukin2006

Reaction score
Switching from iPhone in June. I think Apple has become an overpriced corrupt company that no longer is even close to worth what they charge...

lukin2006

Reaction score
Switching seems like such a pain at this point.

It may be. But I think Tim Cook is a social warrior only worried about his causes and money. Steve Jobs was more concerned with the consumer experience, then money...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may be. But I think Tim Cook is a social warrior only worried about his causes and money. Steve Jobs was more concerned with the consumer experience, then money...
I see Tim Cook more as a "maintainer" rather than an innovator. When Jobs died, I said that was the end of Apple and I believe that to be true even now.

I was a big fan of Jobs growing up and Apple's success always mirrored his involvement. Since he died, nothing Apple has launched has been impressive at all. Jobs wasn't the creator of the new technologies, but what he had was an amazing mind for determining the next-next-gen "thing" to focus on from their R&D department. Most importantly though, Jobs was arrogant enough to force people to jump on board whether they believed in it or not and since he was usually right, it worked.

The longer Apple has gone without any real innovation, the more fragile investor and market confidence has become in the company and its products. The only thing really saving them at this point is people's libraries and dependence on iTunes and a few iOS-only apps. Apple needs a new next-next-gen success very badly and so far, they have not even come close since Jobs was there.

Apple introduced Siri and now Google Assistant and Alexa are better than it. Apple introduced the iPad (tablets) and now Microsoft's surface devices are better than those. Apple introduced the ultralight MacBook Air and now Dell's XPS, HP's Spectre x360, etc. are better options. Apple introduced the Apple Watch and I still do not know anyone personally who owns any "smart" watch much less the Apple version.

I bought the first Apple iPod Touch (amazing at the time). I bought the first iPad (amazing at the time) and have owned two more versions since. That said, when I finally decided to buy a smart phone recently, I went with the Samsung Galaxy S9+ and I have been very happy with it. All Apple has done with iPhone in recent years is add newer Samsung screens to their phones, an annoying notch and removed the headphone jack.

At this point, I have no plans to buy any more Apple devices especially with their plans for limiting their computers to Apple-approved (aka: licensed) upgrade parts only.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I see Tim Cook more as a "maintainer" rather than an innovator. When Jobs died, I said that was the end of Apple and I believe that to be true even now.

I was a big fan of Jobs growing up and Apple's success always mirrored his involvement. Since he died, nothing Apple has launched has been impressive at all. Jobs wasn't the creator of the new technologies, but what he had was an amazing mind for determining the next-next-gen "thing" to focus on from their R&D department. Most importantly though, Jobs was arrogant enough to force people to jump on board whether they believed in it or not and since he was usually right, it worked.

The longer Apple has gone without any real innovation, the more fragile investor and market confidence has become in the company and its products. The only thing really saving them at this point is people's libraries and dependence on iTunes and a few iOS-only apps. Apple needs a new next-next-gen success very badly and so far, they have not even come close since Jobs was there.

Apple introduced Siri and now Google Assistant and Alexa are better than it. Apple introduced the iPad (tablets) and now Microsoft's surface devices are better than those. Apple introduced the ultralight MacBook Air and now Dell's XPS, HP's Spectre x360, etc. are better options. Apple introduced the Apple Watch and I still do not know anyone personally who owns any "smart" watch much less the Apple version.

I bought the first Apple iPod Touch (amazing at the time). I bought the first iPad (amazing at the time) and have owned two more versions since. That said, when I finally decided to buy a smart phone recently, I went with the Samsung Galaxy S9+ and I have been very happy with it. All Apple has done with iPhone in recent years is add newer Samsung screens to their phones, an annoying notch and removed the headphone jack.

At this point, I have no plans to buy any more Apple devices especially with their plans for limiting their computers to Apple-approved (aka: licensed) upgrade parts only.
Airpods have been quite a win, but far from real innovation.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Airpods have been quite a win, but far from real innovation.
Apple wasn't the first to create wireless earbuds though and by removing the headphone jack, they forced a lot of people to buy them to avoid using an annoying and problematic conversion dongle rather than excited people into buying them.

In any case, even if the Airpods were unique and amazing, that's an accessory, not a major device innovation.

Apple better have one or more major innovative devices for 2019 in the works or I suspect interest in Apple products will start declining even worse, especially among the younger demographic. Apple has already announced they will stop announcing iPhone sales numbers because even they realize the Jobs golden goose has started fading. There have been reports that Apple has already cut production levels on all 2018 iPhone devices.

lukin2006

Reaction score

Said it better then I could have.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple wasn't the first to create wireless earbuds though and by removing the headphone jack, they forced a lot of people to buy them to avoid using an annoying and problematic conversion dongle rather than excited people into buying them.

In any case, even if the Airpods were unique and amazing, that's an accessory, not a major device innovation.

Apple better have one or more major innovative devices for 2019 in the works or I suspect interest in Apple products will start declining even worse, especially among the younger demographic. Apple has already announced they will stop announcing iPhone sales numbers because even they realize the Jobs golden goose has started fading. There have been reports that Apple has already cut production levels on all 2018 iPhone devices.

I love my wife but sometimes she kills me when she gets on these ordering over the internet kicks.

And I think she orders a good deal of stuff from overseas that normally come with instructions that are usually too small to read or in different languages.
Your post made me think of one she recently ordered.

She ordered me some generic version of the apple wireless ear buds, the Air Pods.

It came with a little charging case and so on.

Well I charged them up and connected to my bluetooth on my tablet. Only problem was it would only connect to one ear bud at a time. Maybe I am missing something as it did not come with instructions but it would only connect to one ear bud at a time and I cannot get it to connect to both. If I turn both on, it only connects to one. If I turn the other one off and back on it connects to that one but shuts the first one off lol.

Oh well.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love my wife but sometimes she kills me when she gets on these ordering over the internet kicks.

And I think she orders a good deal of stuff from overseas that normally come with instructions that are usually too small to read or in different languages.
Your post made me think of one she recently ordered.

She ordered me some generic version of the apple wireless ear buds, the Air Pods.

It came with a little charging case and so on.

Well I charged them up and connected to my bluetooth on my tablet. Only problem was it would only connect to one ear bud at a time. Maybe I am missing something as it did not come with instructions but it would only connect to one ear bud at a time and I cannot get it to connect to both. If I turn both on, it only connects to one. If I turn the other one off and back on it connects to that one but shuts the first one off lol.

Oh well.
I'm not an expert on wireless earbuds but it makes me wonder if they are not a paired set and instead each from a different set, so it treats them like two different sets.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not an expert on wireless earbuds but it makes me wonder if they are not a paired set and instead each from a different set, so it treats them like two different sets.

It will show up as two of the same named devices on my tablet instead of one.
for example you will see
TWS-i7
TWS-i7

There is a good chance that I am just missing something.

However there is also a chance that they just don't work right because they are super cheap chinese knockoffs.

She got me a "smart" watch once that was android "compatible" with Chinese instructions.

Never could get it to pair up with my phone or tablet. lol.

She also recently ordered voice ativated/controlled TV Remotes.

I was trying to set them up but the on tv code box would not come on and I was thinking it was from the Cable Box.
Not...it was remotes for Xinfinity box and we don't have Xinfiity boxes. But she only paid $5-10 for them so she was not out too much.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Was going to ask if you updated to the Pixel 3.
No I haven't. I don't have any intent to do so. I do have a Pixel 2, but I got it for cheap when combined with a big discount and money for my previous phone.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It will show up as two of the same named devices on my tablet instead of one.
for example you will see
TWS-i7
TWS-i7

There is a good chance that I am just missing something.

However there is also a chance that they just don't work right because they are super cheap chinese knockoffs.

She got me a "smart" watch once that was android "compatible" with Chinese instructions.

Never could get it to pair up with my phone or tablet. lol.

She also recently ordered voice ativated/controlled TV Remotes.

I was trying to set them up but the on tv code box would not come on and I was thinking it was from the Cable Box.
Not...it was remotes for Xinfinity box and we don't have Xinfiity boxes. But she only paid $5-10 for them so she was not out too much.

I've never used wireless earbuds, but could it be possible you got like two left/right earbuds? Well, if they are specifically shaped for each L/R ear, then that likely isn't the case unless they screwed up the internal electronics. Just grasping at straws here.