Anyone watch Jeopardy? When will James be defeated?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
james-holzhauer-jeopardy-1.jpg

It you don’t watch, a contestant named James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler, has been on Jeopardy for weeks, destroying everyone in his path. He rarely gets questions wrong, he has extensive knowledge of many different subjects, and his recall time is almost inhuman. His run has been phenomenal, and he’s on pace to break every Jeopardy in a very short amount of time. He has already won well over $2,000,000. Only one other contestant has come even close to beating him.

For those that do watch - what do you think of James? Has he made the show more or less exciting?

I’ve always watched Jeopardy, but ever since James has been featured, I feel like I’ve been enjoying it more. I’m very interested to see if he breaks Ken Jennings’ record next week.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

It you don’t watch, a contestant named James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler, has been on Jeopardy for weeks, destroying everyone in his path. He rarely gets questions wrong, he has extensive knowledge of many different subjects, and his recall time is almost inhuman. His run has been phenomenal, and he’s on pace to break every Jeopardy in a very short amount of time. He has already won well over $2,000,000. Only one other contestant has come even close to beating him.

For those that do watch - what do you think of James? Has he made the show more or less exciting?

I’ve always watched Jeopardy, but ever since James has been featured, I feel like I’ve been enjoying it more. I’m very interested to see if he breaks Ken Jennings’ record next week.
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind this young man will set records not only in how many consecutive games won, but also the cash payout.

"Who is James Holzhauer?"...."That is correct for $500."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I haven't been watching, but I wish I had...as long as he's someone I'd root for. If he's someone I wouldn't like, I'd be yelling at the idiots who are letting him win.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score

I’ve been watching. He’s had 2 close calls. It’s usually over after the first 15 minutes. I’m rooting for the guy.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I haven't been watching, but I wish I had...as long as he's someone I'd root for. If he's someone I wouldn't like, I'd be yelling at the idiots who are letting him win.
It's not just how smart he is, but also his strategy. The way he jumps around the board hunting for those Daily Doubles and when he finds them, he bets them big to create those big leads. The dude's bet $25k a couple times on those daily doubles! He starts out with the larger total questions, trying to boat race his opponents to make it harder to catch up and take advantage of their nerves. He doesn't stay in one category when selecting questions, making it tougher for opponents to get in a groove or confidence.

Here's a few numbers on him.....

$19,980 - Average winning total for “Jeopardy!” Contestants 2003 to 2017.

$78,413 - Average winning total for James through 28 games.

$43,478
- Estimated amount host Alex Trebek earns per episode of “Jeopardy!” (Trebek reportedly makes$10 million/year and hosts 230 episodes/year). James is the only player in game history to earn more per-episode than Alex.

$53,999 - Final total of runner-up finisher Adam Levin in Game 18 of James’s run. Pre-James, this total would have been in Top 12 in game history. As runner-up, Levin won $2,000. James won this game by just $18.

$60,013 - James’s largest Final Jeopardy wager, an all-time record.

$64,913 - James’s average margin of victory through his first 22 games.

$77,000 - Previous record winning total for one game (held by Roger Craig. Record stood for nearly nine years).

$131,127 - Current one-game record held by James.

$202,950 - On a per-hour basis, amount James has earned through 24 games (based on each game requiring 23 minutes of “work.”)

The dude's a beast!

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/ar...mp_james_holzhauer_by_the_numbers_103758.html

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not just how smart he is, but also his strategy. The way he jumps around the board hunting for those Daily Doubles and when he finds them, he bets them big to create those big leads. The dude's bet $25k a couple times on those daily doubles! He starts out with the larger total questions, trying to boat race his opponents to make it harder to catch up and take advantage of their nerves. He doesn't stay in one category when selecting questions, making it tougher for opponents to get in a groove or confidence.

Here's a few numbers on him.....

$19,980 - Average winning total for “Jeopardy!” Contestants 2003 to 2017.

$78,413 - Average winning total for James through 28 games.

$43,478
- Estimated amount host Alex Trebek earns per episode of “Jeopardy!” (Trebek reportedly makes$10 million/year and hosts 230 episodes/year). James is the only player in game history to earn more per-episode than Alex.

$53,999 - Final total of runner-up finisher Adam Levin in Game 18 of James’s run. Pre-James, this total would have been in Top 12 in game history. As runner-up, Levin won $2,000. James won this game by just $18.

$60,013 - James’s largest Final Jeopardy wager, an all-time record.

$64,913 - James’s average margin of victory through his first 22 games.

$77,000 - Previous record winning total for one game (held by Roger Craig. Record stood for nearly nine years).

$131,127 - Current one-game record held by James.

$202,950 - On a per-hour basis, amount James has earned through 24 games (based on each game requiring 23 minutes of “work.”)

The dude's a beast!

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/ar...mp_james_holzhauer_by_the_numbers_103758.html
Someday, he's gonna be a category on Jeopardy!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I've been following that diminutive #9 looking dude for better than the last three aired episodes,,,er ,,,truthfully speaking:thumbup:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
James Holzhauer has made Jeopardy so much more than interesting to watch. It's become fun to try and match wits with him. I wasn't rooting for him at first, but I'm completely on the bandwagon now. Go Jeopardy James!
*& that dude don't putz around either kiddo(ding-ding-ding,,, the first of two daily doubles, James?,,,, ,,,,4 dimes Alex)

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
What really kills me is to watch him go for the jugular every time he gets a daily double, while his opponents are all like “eehhh I dunno Alex, I’ll wager 1,000”. Every time that happens, they squander their only opportunity to catch him.

If you look at it from a statistical standpoint, with the amount of questions he gets right, going all in on the daily doubles is an extremely good bet for him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Always watch when I can and never miss an episode with James. He is truly amazing. No question he will break Ken Jennings record for money and likely will for games won. He has definitely made the show more interesting and I'll bet their viewership is the highest ever now. It will be a big shock when he loses.

What I'm really waiting for is their Tournament Of Champions. Watching him shred all those past champions will be more impressive than what he has accomplished so far.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Always watch when I can and never miss an episode with James. He is truly amazing. No question he will break Ken Jennings record for money and likely will for games won. He has definitely made the show more interesting and I'll bet their viewership is the highest ever now. It will be a big shock when he loses.

What I'm really waiting for is their Tournament Of Champions. Watching him shred all those past champions will be more impressive than what he has accomplished so far.
That link I put up earlier has some crazy numbers

41 percent - Increase in show’s ratings over same period a year ago. (people are tuning in to watch)
120 - Consecutive correct responses by James in Games 22 through 24. (that's ridiculous)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That link I put up earlier has some crazy numbers

41 percent - Increase in show’s ratings over same period a year ago. (people are tuning in to watch)
120 - Consecutive correct responses by James in Games 22 through 24. (that's ridiculous)
I'm sure a lot of people are also tuning in because of Alec's condition, so you probably can't attribute all of that increase to James.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After today I'm :omg:

It goes to show you how tough it is to have that kind of streak.

The challengers on that show aren't ever dummies. They're pretty bright too.

You mix a top notch challenger with some old-fashioned luck and bam the streak is over.

I think Brad Rutter is the still the best player I've ever seen on the show.

I'm sure we'll start to see folks go back to the conventional way of playing the board now that James is gone.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
It goes to show you how tough it is to have that kind of streak.

The challengers on that show aren't ever dummies. They're pretty bright too.

You mix a top notch challenger with some old-fashioned luck and bam the streak is over.

I think Brad Rutter is the still the best player I've ever seen on the show.

I'm sure we'll start to see folks go back to the conventional way of playing the board now that James is gone.

If someone wanted to make the argument for either James, Brad, or Ken as the best ever player, I feel like there’d be a valid argument for any of them. I’m interested to see if they’ll all be in a tournament against each other someday.