AOL Sports: TO Interview

adamknite

Reaction score
So I got online this morning and saw that TO had done an interview with Dave Hollander on AOL Sports. Doesn't really concern football, it's more about his new book, but thought I'd post it for anybody interested.

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/bbdp/improving-upon-to-a-tall-order/261392#Comments

Improving Upon T.O. a Tall Order

By DAVE HOLLANDER
, AOL
posted: 32 MINUTES AGO
comments: 32
filed under: NFL

He's back with his fourth book - four. That's got to be a record for an active player; maybe for any professional athlete active or retired. But this one is for you: "T.O.'s Finding Fitness - Making the Mind, Body, and Spirit Connection for Total Health." There's no question he's got the goods but how did he do it? T.O. tells us how Warren Sapp might change his shape, what exactly happens in "The Jungle Room" and why he'll never do Dancing With the Stars.

DAVE HOLLANDER: You bare the top half of your impressive physique on the cover of your new book "T.O.'s Finding Fitness." The truth is, I don't think I've ever seen you do a magazine cover with your shirt on. Can you think of one?
TERRELL OWENS: Ummmmm. Hmmm... (pause) One with it on?

DH: Yes.
TO: I've done a couple.

DH: How much mirror time does Terrell Owens give himself during the day?
TO: I get a lot of mirror time. There's mirrors placed throughout my home. I might have something in my teeth or something. You know what I mean? After dinner. So I always gotta have a mirror close by, just in case.

DH: Can we really change our shape? What if Warren Sapp wanted a body more like Terrell Owens. Could he do it?
TO: For a man of his size and his body type, it would be pretty difficult because of his massive bone structure and the body type he has. But he could definitely slim down. It's all about discipline and dieting. If he wanted to drop weight and lean-out, there's a number of exercises and dieting habits that he could adopt to get there.

DH: Everybody likes to talk about you doing sit-ups in a driveway at the old Moorestown residence. But I was with you at that house and I thought the most important room was in the basement called "The Jungle Room." What went on there?
TO: It was basically a theme for the room. I had like the safari pillows, the mosquito net around the bed, and I had some wood pieces. That's why the jungle theme.

DH: How much did that room figure into your health routine?
TO: None.

DH: What happened to The Jungle Room? Do it move with you to your next residence?
TO: No, it just kind of went away when I left. When I move to different places I try to decorate. I have my own tastes and feel for each place. I try not to duplicate. I have my own style, though. When I decorate I stay in the neutral family of colors. Every now and then I'll throw some colors in.

DH: Everybody has a part of their body they don't feel totally great about. What part of your body do you like the least?
TO: That's kind of hard question for a guy who loves himself like I do.

DH: That's a lot of love, for sure, but is there a part you think could use a little more love?
TO: If I had to change anything it's that I want to be taller. Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the way I am and the way I look. I couldn't say that in my youth. I was kind of seen as an ugly duckling growing up. My body has matured and developed. I blossomed into something special.

DH: Whose body do you admire -- man or woman -- fitness-wise?
TO: Megan Fox has a nice body. I gravitate to more of the athletic and fit type. Jessica Biel has a nice body.

DH: You don't mind a little muscle on woman?
TO: Not at all. You can have a little muscle and still be feminine. I don't have a problem with that.

DH: What's the one exercise you can't live without?
TO: Probably abs. That's the first thing women go for and gravitate towards when they're scoping out guys' bodies. They're gonna go there. The midsection is good hygiene and good for the women but it's also very instrumental in athletics. And it goes unnoticed. Because the core is pretty much the center of a lot of things. Now when I train and I know what's going on with my body. I try to train strengthening my core, working from the inside out.

DH: What does that mean: Inside out?
TO: Strengthening the smaller intrinsic muscles. A lot of people, especially high school and college kids, all they're worried about is how big their biceps are -- their chest, calves and thighs. Those are superficial muscles.

DH: What's the one really bad thing you eat?
TO: During the season? Chocolate, M&M's, Snickers. But during the season, I try to eat as healthy as I can. I'm gonna have a sweet tooth craving every now and then. But the way I work out, those things don't hurt me at all. During the offseason, as soon as football is over, I reward myself and just splurge and I eat whatever. McDonald's, pizza and all the bad stuff. Once I start my training I cut all those things out. I don't even drink during the season.

DH: You talk in the book about how lack of rest put you in the hospital and gave everyone a false suicide scare. How important is rest?
TO: It's very, very important. Especially as a kid growing up and especially during the time you're practicing football , training or lifting weights. In order for your muscles to build after you break those muscles down you need time to recuperate. That comes with rest. It comes with sleep. If you have an injury, that's how they heal. It's the rest time. There was a lot of things going on emotionally for me then. I had surgery. I really couldn't sleep. Dealing with the pain. Being up all night. And then you try to practice, you got meetings, you got film, you're trying to focus. All that mixed together got to me. My body got fatigued without proper rest.

DH: Tell me the truth. You're dying to be on Dancing With the Stars, aren't you?
TO: Not at all. They've asked me once or twice about being on the show. I graciously declined. I don't need Dancing With the Stars to let people know I can dance. I've been dancing since I got in the league -- since the time I scored my first touchdown. I know it's a different type of dancing but it's something I'm not really interested in.

Dave Hollander is the author of 52 WEEKS: Interviews with Champions! and blogs for The Huffington Post. Info at: www.davehollander.com

zeromaster

Reaction score
Like him or hate him, he's got it down. Looking for some popcorn against Pittsburgh, TO. Bring it!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DH: Everybody has a part of their body they don't feel totally great about. What part of your body do you like the least?
TO: That's kind of hard question for a guy who loves himself like I do.
This made me chuckle...

adamknite

Reaction score
theogt;2460516 said:
What a bizarre interview.

I thought it was strange that a guy is interviewing one of the biggest stars in the NFL and the most compelling question he could come up with is about Dancing with the Stars.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2460624 said:
well narcissism is rampant.

picard-facepalm

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That was a very interesting, yet some what disturbing, interview. Not as a knock on TO but some of the questions that the guy came up with to ask just seemed, weird to be asking.