AP HAWKINS ON COWBOYS: Look for return of conservative Big Bill

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IRVING, Texas - Bill Parcells won't keep taking chances. That's not his style.

That aggressive offensive game plan the coach employed last week worked out just fine. And, the Dallas Cowboys needed every one of the 445 yards they gained - the last a 1-yard touchdown pass with 22 seconds left - to pull out a much-needed victory against Kansas City.

Just don't get used to it.

Get ready instead for the return of the conservative Big Bill.

With the playoff chase intensifying and the Cowboys about to play consecutive road games against teams with offenses similar to theirs, Parcells will quickly revert to his ball-control, grind-it-down-the field approach.

Still, after the success against the Chiefs, why not open up the offense more often - or all the time? Parcells knew that question was coming this week, even finishing off the thought of a reporter trying to ask just that.

"It's a fair question," Parcells said. "It's one that is difficult to explain exactly."

Really, it's pretty simple.

If Parcells doesn't think he has to be overly aggressive, like he knew he had to against the Chiefs' prolific offense, then he won't.

"It can cost you pretty dearly to take that gunslinger attitude toward every game," he said. "I don't think all the time that is percentage football. As a coach what you try to do, you try to decide what gives your team the best chance to win."

Against Kansas City, that meant using a flea flicker that turned into a 71-yard touchdown - the longest play of the season by Dallas - and an end around. Both went to receiver Terry Glenn, the latter for his first career rushing score.

Parcells sounds like somebody who got away with something wrong last weekend, and doesn't want to get caught trying to do it again.

The Cowboys (8-5) played without a turnover in their 31-28 victory over the Chiefs that kept them within a game of the NFC East-leading New York Giants. Dallas recovered its only fumble after quarterback Drew Bledsoe was stripped of the ball.

"Taking that (aggressive) approach, you are always at risk to do that," Parcells said.

Dallas probably won't have to play like that the next two weekends against Washington and Carolina, both below the 13th-ranked Cowboys in total offense. Each of those teams averages about three touchdowns a game.

Parcells has tried to downplay how the Cowboys played Sunday, but before the first practice last week to get ready for the Chiefs, he made sure his players knew what he planned to do. He wouldn't have to do that if he weren't straying from his norm.

"Early in the week, he said what we're going to do is come out and be aggressive, throw it around a little more," Bledsoe said.

It was similar to what the Cowboys did in their first meeting against Philadelphia in October, when they overwhelmed the defending NFC champions 33-10 weeks before Donovan McNabb, Terrell Owens and Brian Westbrook were done for the year.

Parcells is right in his assessment that the Cowboys' run-to-pass ratio wasn't too out of whack against Kansas City - 34 passes and 28 runs.

What he fails to point out is that Bledsoe averaged 9.8 yards per attempt and 15.1 yards per completion. Both were significantly higher than his season averages, and an indication of more aggressive play-calling.

"So many people try to pigeonhole him as a guy that only wants to run the ball," Bledsoe said. "He's not afraid to take a chance on a trick play here or there."

When Bledsoe was a young quarterback for Parcells in New England, the Patriots attempted 699 passes in 1994 and 686 the following season, those totals trailing only Minnesota's NFL-record 709 in 1981. Bledsoe had 45 completions on 70 attempts, both single-game records, in 1994 against the Vikings.

That was a long time ago, and much different from how Parcells has done things in three seasons in Dallas.

The Cowboys lead the NFL in time of possession (32:59 per game). They are second in the NFL with 33.4 rushing attempts per game to go with 31.5 passing plays.

As a result, only three of the Cowboys' games have been decided by more than a touchdown. Their five losses are by a combined 20 points, including two on game-ending field goals.

So, it's clear Parcells doesn't mind playing it close or being conservative.

That's what he prefers, and we're about to see more of it.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/13400090.htm

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Just what we need when we play Washington. It worked so well in building that insurmountable 13 point lead in week 2.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
If the weather is gonna be as bad as everyone says it is, Parcells(or anyone else) would be absolutely bone-stupid to even think twice about opening up the offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Just what we need when we play Washington. It worked so well in building that insurmountable 13 point lead in week 2.

Dallas threw the ball 36 times in the 1st meeting and ran the ball 29 times. 13 points that late in the game should have been enough to win the game.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Dallas threw the ball 36 times in the 1st meeting and ran the ball 29 times. 13 points that late in the game should have been enough to win the game.

Or 16-Cortez makes that kick, the Skins would have had NO chance to work a miracle. :(

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Or 16-Cortez makes that kick, the Skins would have had NO chance to work a miracle. :(

or had we not had a 1st down pass to Keyshawn wiped out by a penalty when trying to run the clock out. Dallas gets that 1st and game is over. There were several mistakes late in that game that hurt Dallas

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Groan.

I hope this guy is wrong.
I'm just curious for all of you wanting to "open it up." If they do, but they lose--are you going to be *****ing about it on Monday?

juice28

Reaction score
Kick field goals on 1st and 10 in the red zone....I don't care. JUST WIN!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I'm just curious for all of you wanting to "open it up." If they do, but they lose--are you going to be *****ing about it on Monday?
I'm just curious too, do you do anything other than whine about how unfair people are to Parcells.

Post by Kittymama, I bet she's upset that someone has the audacity to question Parcells. Yep, I was right. It's a freaking broken record. You don't like him being questioned, avoid discussion boards and opinionated fans. If you can't do that I suggest Maalox. An enema if the problem continues.

No, for the record if he opens it up and we lose I personally will not gripe about it. I've appluaded him every time he's done it this year. Coincidentally we've won all 3 times he's done it. I'd rather lose showing some sack than lose playing conservative any day of the week.

Would you prefer a 50/50 shot at winning (5-5 in games where we played conservative)? Or do you like that 1.000 batting average?

It seems to me someone who can't stand criticism of Parcells would support the idea of him doing something to receive less criticism. Then again, I'm into common sense so it's natural I would assume that. Silly me.

silver

Reaction score
I agree with the writer. Bill will hog the game clock and eat up all the time with the running game. It works if the O-Line isn't called with any holding or false starts (or any other stupid penalties we seem to get everytime we're on the road: exibit A: the seatle game, exibit B) the giants game- both losses). otherwise it's a recipe for a loss.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I disagree with the guy, The Skins do not have ends that will scare us.

And IMO, we really did not open it up by NFL standards - we were pretty balanced like the write states and BP stated .

The flea flicker, IMO is not opening it up and that is the play that turned Bledsoes numbers from a regular normal day to a gaudy one.

The end around is not opening it up or dangerous.

We threw some passes to MBII and a few to Polite, none of which were risky.

IMO, this opening it up and being risky is only brought up because of our T's, otherwise there was nothing risky about the game plan BP called. It was just using all of our options and keeping them off balanced Defensively

The tackles are the risk, thats it, teams that can abuse our T's will cause more conservative play calling, teams that cannot will allow us to run a normal offense!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I disagree with the guy, The Skins do not have ends that will scare us.

And IMO, we really did not open it up by NFL standards - we were pretty balanced like the write states and BP stated .

The flea flicker, IMO is not opening it up and that is the play that turned Bledsoes numbers from a regular normal day to a gaudy one.

The end around is not opening it up or dangerous.

We threw some passes to MBII and a few to Polite, none of which were risky.

IMO, this opening it up and being risky is only brought up because of our T's, otherwise there was nothing risky about the game plan BP called. It was just using all of our options and keeping them off balanced Defensively

The tackles are the risk, thats it, teams that can abuse our T's will cause more conservative play calling, teams that cannot will allow us to run a normal offense!!!!!

I agree. If anything it was a balanced attack by the Cowboys Dallas had 34 passes for 332 and 28 runs for 129. Dallas may have taken a few more shots down field but for the most part I would consider this a fairly balanced attack

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Should is a great word.

Not really but it does not change the fact that will little time remaining in the game that a conservative offense did not lose the game as you continue to try and claim.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Conservative offense or not, 13 points is not enough to win a game- I would never feel comfortable with a 13 point lead unless I had the ball with under a minute left- All I know is, if we are sitting there with a 13 point lead with 4 minutes to go and they have the ball on Sunday, not one person on this board is going to feel comfortable about it. Sure the defense choked the week 2 game away, but the offense had chances to seal the deal plenty of times and bogged down- be it because of execution or playcalling. You can't give any team, even bad ones, that many chances.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Conservative offense or not, 13 points is not enough to win a game- I would never feel comfortable with a 13 point lead unless I had the ball with under a minute left- All I know is, if we are sitting there with a 13 point lead with 4 minutes to go and they have the ball on Sunday, not one person on this board is going to feel comfortable about it. Sure the defense choked the week 2 game away, but the offense had chances to seal the deal plenty of times and bogged down- be it because of execution or playcalling. You can't give any team, even bad ones, that many chances.

I agree we threw the ball on a 3rd down picked up the 1st and it was wipped out by a penalty. That's football **** happens. I also know you don't give up 70 yard passes to win the game and we did that as well in the closing min but we did. If we are in the same boat this sunday up by 13 with 4 min to go I'm not going to be comfortable either but I will say I hope we are up by 13 points with 4 min to go because I don't think we will blow it a 2nd time in that situation.